Can someone confirm my fuel consumption? - Yamaha R3 Forum
User Tag List

 20Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 07-03-2019, 12:10 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Can someone confirm my fuel consumption?

Hi,

I've been riding my new-to-me 2015 Yamaha R3 and I've been feeling like it's getting low fuel economy.

The bike has about 11,250 km on it right now, running on 87 Octane in Canada, in the Montreal area, if it makes any difference.


So, whenever I check the gauge, it shows me 5.1L/100km on average. However, I get roughly 150 km before the tripmeter changes to the F meter and my last gas bar blinks.
I feel like I'm really confusing and doing complete wrong maths, even though it's easy...

If I understand this correctly, if I'm not mistaken, the tank is 14L with reserve being 3L. So 11L usable fuel before it trips my F meter. According to my gauge, if I'm getting 5.1L per 100 km, I would get 200km on 10.2L, yet I don't ever get to see anything past 150 km roughly.
The other way around, if I get to only see 150km on 11L, wouldn't that be closer to the 13.6L/100 km?

I don't know if I'm expecting too much out of the bike, or if I'm doing my math wrong, but I do feel like its getting low fuel economy. I am aware that whenever I ride around, wringing it out, that it would affect the economy, but I do ride a lot conservatively, rarely going past 7k RPM.


Sorry if this thread is redundant
InFask is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 19 Old 07-03-2019, 09:46 AM
Moderator
 
airhead83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Burke County, NC
Posts: 694
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Most of the threads I've read concerning the R3's fuel mileage focus on the computer's dash readout, and most are reasonable accurate. You may get a more accurate reading, by testing the mileage manually. During a fill up, reset your trip meter. Ride . Next fill up, divide the Kms ridden between fill ups by the Ltrs of fuel you just put in the tank. You can't get any more accurate, unless you want to consider the small difference in how "Full" you got the fuel tank. You may want to try this several times to get an average. Then make you decision as to whether to be concerned, or not. Good Luck.
InFask likes this.

To ride or not to ride? What a stupid question! ... Anon

Last edited by airhead83; 07-03-2019 at 09:51 AM.
airhead83 is offline  
post #3 of 19 Old 07-03-2019, 11:49 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by airhead83 View Post
Most of the threads I've read concerning the R3's fuel mileage focus on the computer's dash readout, and most are reasonable accurate. You may get a more accurate reading, by testing the mileage manually. During a fill up, reset your trip meter. Ride . Next fill up, divide the Kms ridden between fill ups by the Ltrs of fuel you just put in the tank. You can't get any more accurate, unless you want to consider the small difference in how "Full" you got the fuel tank. You may want to try this several times to get an average. Then make you decision as to whether to be concerned, or not. Good Luck.
Thanks for the tip, that's what I've been doing by resetting the trip meter after every fill up. That's how I got to realize that I never saw anything over 150km on a full tank until the F meter shows up. This would be my concern, as I feel like I should be getting much higher numbers.
InFask is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 19 Old 07-03-2019, 12:46 PM
Moderator
 
airhead83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Burke County, NC
Posts: 694
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by InFask View Post
Thanks for the tip, that's what I've been doing by resetting the trip meter after every fill up. That's how I got to realize that I never saw anything over 150km on a full tank until the F meter shows up. This would be my concern, as I feel like I should be getting much higher numbers.
150km is what 90miles? Sorry, as The US is "Making America Great Again", we're too busy doing nonsense to have ever learned the metric system, so we could efficiently deal in world commerce! But if you're dealing in miles per US gallon,(not Imperial Gallons) then 90 miles per tank full is horrible. After filling up, I can regularly get 180miles shortly after I see one bar. And I've never seen the "F" meter, I never take the chance of running short. I average a bit better than 64mpg. I'd still do the math myself from the miles traveled and gallons/liters pumped into the tank. And not worry about the "F" gauge until I satisfied myself what's actually going on. Gauges can be wrong, math seldom is.
InFask likes this.

To ride or not to ride? What a stupid question! ... Anon
airhead83 is offline  
post #5 of 19 Old 07-03-2019, 12:47 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 280
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
The reserve on the R3 is close to a gallon. Even though your butt cheeks will pucker, you'll go another 30 or so miles.
airhead83 and InFask like this.

Milc
Milc is online now  
post #6 of 19 Old 07-03-2019, 01:22 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by airhead83 View Post
150km is what 90miles? Sorry, as The US is "Making America Great Again", we're too busy doing nonsense to have ever learned the metric system, so we could efficiently deal in world commerce! But if you're dealing in miles per US gallon,(not Imperial Gallons) then 90 miles per tank full is horrible. After filling up, I can regularly get 180miles shortly after I see one bar. And I've never seen the "F" meter, I never take the chance of running short. I average a bit better than 64mpg. I'd still do the math myself from the miles traveled and gallons/liters pumped into the tank. And not worry about the "F" gauge until I satisfied myself what's actually going on. Gauges can be wrong, math seldom is.
Yeah, according to Google, it's about 93-94 miles. I will keep track of the amount of fuel I put and the distance traveled, but this still alarms me as it makes me feel something is wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milc View Post
The reserve on the R3 is close to a gallon. Even though your butt cheeks will pucker, you'll go another 30 or so miles.
Even if I was to technically run my tank dry, with my current fuel consumption, I'm still far from airhead83's numbers. I'd get maybe a 125 miles max roughly before I'd be completely dry

Something tells me something is odd about my bike and I don't know what it could be, but nothing seem to be running wrong, bike rides beautifully
InFask is offline  
post #7 of 19 Old 07-03-2019, 10:19 PM
Moderator
 
airhead83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Burke County, NC
Posts: 694
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by InFask View Post
Yeah, according to Google, it's about 93-94 miles. I will keep track of the amount of fuel I put and the distance traveled, but this still alarms me as it makes me feel something is wrong.



Even if I was to technically run my tank dry, with my current fuel consumption, I'm still far from airhead83's numbers. I'd get maybe a 125 miles max roughly before I'd be completely dry

Something tells me something is odd about my bike and I don't know what it could be, but nothing seem to be running wrong, bike rides beautifully
What is the maximum amount of fuel you've ever added when your gauge is flashing low and you've filled up? Is that amount any where near what the tank should hold? 14 liters (3.7 gallons) should be the R3's tank capacity.
InFask likes this.

To ride or not to ride? What a stupid question! ... Anon
airhead83 is offline  
post #8 of 19 Old 07-04-2019, 07:07 AM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Burlington, Ontario
Posts: 1,211
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
150 kms / 1.626 = 92 miles. That's pretty rotten.


Couple things to check:


1. Tire pressure! Make sure you aren't running them lower than you think. You'd be surprised.
2. Oil level? Check to be sure its full. Have you changed it recently?
3. Air filter - simple but a slightly dirty filter makes a big difference.
4. Plugs - are you still running stock plugs? I switched mine to Iridium, helped make it smoother. Not sure about economy but it should help that too.


Also, you are going to get poor results if you crack the throttle open all the time. Since you're in Montreal, and I know how bad traffic can get, if you are sitting still all the time, that isn't helping either.


Best thing to do if all of the above checks out is to take a nice long ride and see how far you can go on a tank. It should be easily 200 kms (123 miles) on a tank before the last bar starts to flash.


Hope that helps!
airhead83 and InFask like this.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
BluebirdR3 is offline  
post #9 of 19 Old 07-04-2019, 01:46 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 15
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by airhead83 View Post
What is the maximum amount of fuel you've ever added when your gauge is flashing low and you've filled up? Is that amount any where near what the tank should hold? 14 liters (3.7 gallons) should be the R3's tank capacity.
I've thrown out the receipts for my last couple fill ups... You raise a great point, as I've rarely seen the 15$ while I gas up. Usual prices is about 1.28$-1.38$/L of fuel around me.

*EDIT* Last fill up was 11.71$ @ 1.259$/L. If I math'd correctly, that means I put 9.3L in. Does that mean that my reserve tank is still something like 4.7L? I usually fill up as soon as I see the last bar flashing.


Quote:
Originally Posted by BluebirdR3 View Post
150 kms / 1.626 = 92 miles. That's pretty rotten.


Couple things to check:


1. Tire pressure! Make sure you aren't running them lower than you think. You'd be surprised.
2. Oil level? Check to be sure its full. Have you changed it recently?
3. Air filter - simple but a slightly dirty filter makes a big difference.
4. Plugs - are you still running stock plugs? I switched mine to Iridium, helped make it smoother. Not sure about economy but it should help that too.


Also, you are going to get poor results if you crack the throttle open all the time. Since you're in Montreal, and I know how bad traffic can get, if you are sitting still all the time, that isn't helping either.


Best thing to do if all of the above checks out is to take a nice long ride and see how far you can go on a tank. It should be easily 200 kms (123 miles) on a tank before the last bar starts to flash.


Hope that helps!
Yeah, I've checked my manual for stuff like that.

1) My tire pressure is around 36 rear and 30 front. There's a sticker on my swing arm with those numbers, I believe I pumped them up in the beginning of the season and checked them yesterday.
2) Oil change was done about 600km ago. At the beginning of the season. Just checked it, right between both lines, not too full and not near low.
3) I've checked the air filter yesterday. There were black spots on it, no big chunks of debris or anything. I know filters can be clogged more than what the eye can see, but I think I saw on the manual that it needs to be changed at 24,000km (Very unsure about this, may be completely wrong on this) so I just put it back in.
4) As far as I know, the plugs are the stock ones. I know the manual says that it needs to be changed right about where my odometer is sitting. May be the next project in line.

And yeah, I've forgotten to mention that I mainly do city riding, some short distances on the highway but I was skeptical that it would drop my economy THAT drastically. I may be too optimistic about the economy too for all I know

Last edited by InFask; 07-04-2019 at 02:02 PM.
InFask is offline  
post #10 of 19 Old 07-05-2019, 03:44 AM
Member
 
SofaCruiser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Regensburg, Bavaria, Germany
Posts: 95
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Garage
The "old" model 2015 - 2018 actually holds way more than just 14 liters of fuel. I ran mine (2016) empty on purpose and was able to squeeze 14.9 liters into the tank afterwards. Please note that I always fill the tank to the brim (not just to the metal plate in the tank) and I hold the bike upright between my legs and don't have it on the side-stand while refueling. This allows to add approx. 1 liter extra fuel into the tank.

The average consumption of my R3 is just 3,36 liters/100km (based on tank bills and odometer reading) if my Excel sheet is doing the maths properly The dashboard of my R3 reads pretty accurate (on average only 0.05 liters/100km too much) so it's quite reliable.
The reserve of my R3 is approx. 3.5 liters and allows almost 100 km range when the F starts flashing. The maximum range I achieved between two fuel stops was 484.5 km (301.1 miles), the average between fuel stops is about 400 km.
Please note that I am riding my R3 quite relaxed, cruising mostly at 100 km/h on back-country roads without much stop-and-go traffic or traffic lights which allows a good mileage. My R3 never used more than 4.1 liters/100km and that was after a ride mostly on the motorway (Autobahn) at approx. 130 km/h (80 mph). I would probably burn 5 liters/100km during a track-day but definitely not in normal traffic...
airhead83 and InFask like this.

___________
Bernd Almstedt
Yamaha YZF-R3 2016 (race blue), BMW R1200RT 2009 (black/silver)


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
SofaCruiser is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R3 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome