3Likes
  • 2 Post By MetalSlug
  • 1 Post By cxa0897

post #1 of 6 Old 07-12-2019, 03:07 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
R series compared to MT series

Thinking about adding the Yamaha MT-09 to my bike "Collection".

How does it ride compared to the R series? Are tight low corners still possible?

Just asking if anyone has any concerns or comments on my potential new purchase.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-12-2019, 04:57 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Depends on what you already ride, but since you are asking on an R3 forum, I have an R3 and an FZ-09 (2014).

Compared to the R3, the 09 is looser, softer and stupid faster. It's very twitchy on the throttle (like an on/off switch), so it can be difficult to ride on tighter, slower turns, but a blast on longer, sweeping curves. An ECU reflash is supposed to take care of it, but haven't done one yet. Suspension definitely needs an upgrade too; front end is very light.

The torque is awesome! Faster than just about any other bike off the line (not on the top end though. That is where something like an R1 starts to surpass it).

If you're in CA, it's a little more difficult to split lanes than the R3 because of the bar width.

It's a fun bike and easy to throw into corners, but maybe a little too easy. That combined with twitchy throttle could make tight, slow turns scarier without better riding skill, better suspension, and a reflash to eliminate the fuel cutoff on decel. Fun bike overall.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
airhead83 and kpctf2 like this.
post #3 of 6 Old 07-13-2019, 06:41 AM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Agree with most of what Ms said above. I had an fz8 for a few years and have test ridden the fz9 a few times.

I believe the newer models have sorted out the on/off switch like throttle. I do remember that being awful on the first model year. Suspension was definitely something I'd want to upgrade and I didn't care for the front brakes either, but I don't think they were any worse than the feel on the r3, so that's just me nitpicking.

The motor was fantastic, great power for anything you'd want to do on it. Commuting, messing around, even the track would be no issue with a few other upgrades. Riding position was decent and I don't recall any real complaints on wind noise or protection (on par for a naked bike).

Once you got past the power difference I think the height difference would probably be the most notable thing, especially if you are on the shorter size. The r3 is just so little, and when I hop onto other bikes I'm always surprised at how big the feel.
kpctf2 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 07-18-2019, 05:21 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I agree I am 5'5 with exceptionally short legs and I was on the tips of my toes with both feet on the ground. Felt comfortable to slide to one side of the bike and flat foot one leg, dirt bike style. Where as on the R3 I can rest comfortably on the balls of both feet. I think it had more to do with seat width than seat height though.
post #5 of 6 Old 07-18-2019, 06:29 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Recently I've owned an XSR900 (same at MT09), then an R3, and now an MT07. Never owned an R6 or R1 though so can't comment on them, but I have owned plenty of 4-cyl naked sportsbikes.

The R3 is a fun little bike, but it really is a bit of a toy compared to both the MT07 and MT09. It really depends on your riding though. I loved the XSR900 as it was one **** of a bike, but as a 90% commuter is was overkill and couldn't lane split. I changed to an R3 to try one out, and it was great for splitting, but you really had to work the gears a lot and it got boring really quick. I then went to MT07 and I've officially found my happy place. I absolutely LOVE this bike. It has plenty of power, lane splits just as well as the R3, is more comfortable, sounds the best out of all three by far, and is very agile. Yes, the suspension sucks really bad, but it's an easy upgrade.

If you're checking out the 09, it's worth having a look at the 07 as well.
post #6 of 6 Old 07-25-2019, 02:00 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
If you're looking at triples, the MV Agusta Brutale and the Triumph Street Triple are worth some investigating as well. A bit more coin but the fit/finish and components are worthy upgrades from the MT-09. From what I've seen, the RS model of the Striple is a bit overkill for street use but if you plan on getting to the track with it, might make sense. Check out the various shootout videos on YouTube for direct comparisons between the three.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R3 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page