1Likes
  • 1 Post By GoFaster

post #1 of 6 Old 08-09-2019, 08:42 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Lightbulb Sprocket size change to add more torque recommendation

Hey guys,

i was searching through forum and i couldn't find any answers. I just did my basic research on sprockets size and gearing changes. It's very difficult topic though and very hard to imagine the result with just looking on numbers. Basically I'm looking for a way to add more torque to my R3 running stock sprockets and chain - 14/43 520. I'm looking to change the gearing for way more torque. I don't really care about top speed since I do not commute on highways and I live in the EU so the speed limits are really strict here with police around every corner. I'm not racing or anything I just want more torque to have fun around town. Also don't want to overkill it making the gearing and the bike too jerky.

If anyone went for torque with sprocket size could you please post your setup with sizes of chain etc?
I just want to know what is safe to go for and what types to order.

I wanted to try following:
stock front and +3 rear
-1 front and +2 rear

Is it possible to go for -1 front +3 rear? Is it safe?

Thanks for the replies guys I really do appreciate the help.

Cheers,
David
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-10-2019, 07:14 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 172 Post(s)
I'll avoid making suggestions. But, I have a few links below that allow for calculations in changes of sprockets and chains. Maybe someone else will chime in on specifics. But these charts allow you to see the percentages in changes for torque and speed as you play with the combinations. Just plug in numbers and it does the rest. Good Luck.
https://sprocketcalculator.com/
https://www.drivenracing.com/driven-calculator

To ride or not to ride? What a stupid question! ... Anon
post #3 of 6 Old 08-10-2019, 10:01 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
The stock front sprocket has 14 teeth, which is a frequently recommended minimum for chain longevity.

My race bike has 14-47 for the smaller tracks around here, 14-45 on it now for a track day next weekend at a longer track. (Stock is 14-43)

You will need a 2 link longer chain to use 14-47, and then 14-45 is at the limit of the chain adjusters - this works for me. I don't know how many teeth you can add on the rear without using a longer chain, I just know 47 won't fit with the stock chain. 45 probably would. No idea about 46.
kiko likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 08-10-2019, 10:12 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Go with larger diameter sprockets to active greater leverage on the wheel. Gear ratio matters but not it is a different type of leverage.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
post #5 of 6 Old 08-11-2019, 04:31 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
You must not have looked very hard as I know I've posted on 3 or 4 threads over the years on this topic.

Page one of the drive train topic forum has a post about them and the general discussion forum has a few

Basically it comes down to if you want to keep the stock chain length or not, many configurations require subtreacting\adding links. There's only a few variations that can utilize the stock length

I've gone -1 on the front and it had noticeably more torque and used the OEM chain. Just remember any sprocket change will require a speedohealer to correct your speedometer.

Mav
post #6 of 6 Old Today, 01:01 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I went ahead and installed -1 on the front sprocket recently, as Maverick mentioned, it does give a bit more noticeable torque.

I've like it enough that I also plan to buy +2 for the rear sprocket, I've noticed some sites selling this as a Acceleration Kit in itself.

Since my speedometer was off I went with the cheaper option (and much smaller unit) of the SpeedDRD speedometer healer. For $70 it works perfectly and is very easy to install/setup.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R3 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page