2Likes
  • 1 Post By ChawlieDaniels
  • 1 Post By Flex0rnaut

post #1 of 9 Old 08-11-2019, 09:14 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Lowering Clip on '19 model

On previous models, we can lower our clip ons by swapping it under the clamp.

For the 2019 model, it is configured a little differently. Can we still lower it without changing clip ons? (newbie)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-11-2019, 12:06 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
IIRC, the clip ons on the 2019 R3 is already lower than the previous generations. I don't remember by how much, but I would think that it would be similar to the first gen relocating it under the triple tree clamp. I'd also assume that it would be possible to lower it even more, but I have a feeling that it's going to interfere with body work at that point.
post #3 of 9 Old 08-12-2019, 06:31 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Yes, they did lower the clip ons for the 2019 model from what I've read. I haven't seen anything yet that says you can't lower it the same way as the previous ones but I haven't seen anyone try it yet.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 08-12-2019, 07:51 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
The clip-ons are under the triple clamp on the 2019 model. I just lowered mine about an inch further to have a better and sportier stance/ position.
There is about a 3/4 inch gap between the handle bars and triple clamps now. Feels awesome
InFask likes this.
post #5 of 9 Old 08-12-2019, 08:20 AM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
With the new one, all you have to do is unbolt it from where it is now, slide it down, and tighten the clamp bolt in the new location, then check for clearance with steering movement. Far easier than on the old model.

It's possible that the handlebar has a bolt holding it to the bottom of the triple clamp (Kawasaki does this frequently, not sure about Yamaha) and if it does, simply remove it.
post #6 of 9 Old 08-12-2019, 12:29 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Here are some pics of that mod on the 2019. If you lower the front at the same time it instantly changes the stance much more comfortable (and sportier), especially if you are a taller rider like myself.

Also, zero clearance issues. Handle bars touch nothing from left to right..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190812_122237.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	65369   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190812_122257_HDR.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	65371   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190812_122310_HDR.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	103.4 KB
ID:	65373  

Last edited by ChawlieDaniels; 08-12-2019 at 12:31 PM. Reason: add on info
post #7 of 9 Old 08-15-2019, 10:17 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChawlieDaniels View Post
Here are some pics of that mod on the 2019. If you lower the front at the same time it instantly changes the stance [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/tango_face_smile.png[/IMG] much more comfortable (and sportier), especially if you are a taller rider like myself.

Also, zero clearance issues. Handle bars touch nothing from left to right..

Yo dude this is exactly what i was looking for! Spot on man thanks alot, i will probably try ask my mechanic to help do this
ChawlieDaniels likes this.
post #8 of 9 Old Today, 01:55 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Is there a negative effect on handlinG?

Does lowering the bars like this result in a negative effect on handling? I was curious about lowering the bars on my 2019 as well, but am reluctant because I do not understand what the effect will be on handling. Is the effect positional; i.e., less severe or more severe depending on how much more the bars are lowered?
post #9 of 9 Old Today, 03:27 PM

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmsmith76 View Post
Does lowering the bars like this result in a negative effect on handling? I was curious about lowering the bars on my 2019 as well, but am reluctant because I do not understand what the effect will be on handling. Is the effect positional; i.e., less severe or more severe depending on how much more the bars are lowered?
You're not adjusting your suspension geometry so your bike will handle the same.

Lowering your bar gives you an aggressive riding position which will free up some cockpit space if you feel cramped on the bike but it also adds considerable more pressure on your wrists. I wouldn't recommend lowering your bar if you do a lot of distance riding or are in general have no issues with the fit of the bike.

Milc

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R3 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in