Blue LED flush mount turn signals, how long till I get pulled over? - Yamaha R3 Forum
User Tag List

1Likes
  • 1 Post By airhead83

post #1 of 8 Old 10-02-2019, 10:22 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Blue LED flush mount turn signals, how long till I get pulled over?

Bought my R3 lightly used, already had the rear fender eliminated, also has flush mount front signals that light up blue when the turn signals are not on. Oklahoma is pretty lax when it comes to things like tint, exhaust, race tires, underglow, etc.. we have the laws but they are rarely enforced unless your being stupid and they need a reason to pull you over. Also have the law that no motor vehicle shall have a light the color blue. The LED’s are pretty bright and I would think easily catch the eye on a dim lit road. I don’t really ride at night, not yet anyway, but anyone have blue LED’s on their bike? They look nice and match the bike, but I don’t want to be continually harassed for having them, especially being a sport bike since some cops tend to want to target bikes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 10-03-2019, 01:05 AM

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
If the signals you have are TST they offer replacement halos for their turn signal in any of their other color flavors. I went with white because it's one less thing to get pulled over for but the pink is pretty spicy.

Milc
post #3 of 8 Old 10-03-2019, 07:56 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
The reason there is a standard color for running lights, turn signal signals, and brake lights,.. is all about Safety. Close or at a distance, the orientation of the vehicle can be determined by the color of the light. For example, your Front running light/turn signal is Orange, your Rear brake light is Red. .. Why take a chance, or worse cause a panic, by confusing a driver of a 7000LB vehicle, who's coming at you with reduced visibility of darkness?? Any motorcycle rider I know will tell you.. Many auto drivers are already distracted without having another reason to be confused.
BluebirdR3 likes this.

To ride or not to ride? What a stupid question! ... Anon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 10-03-2019, 01:13 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Garage
I honestly would look at the motor vehicle laws in your state. they may be illegal all together because of viewing angles. Yammie Noob on YouTube just made a video on illegal mods.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Get It
Study It
Keep Riding

Last edited by proneto911; 10-03-2019 at 01:14 PM. Reason: adding text
post #5 of 8 Old 10-04-2019, 06:00 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Why take a chance? Just swap them for a different colour that won't get you noticed as much.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 8 Old 10-07-2019, 04:14 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I personally bought the TST Industries flush mounts with the amber running lights for extra legality, although I really wanted to buy the blue ones. I’m still thinking about under glow for my bike but I don’t really want to be a cop magnet...
post #7 of 8 Old 10-08-2019, 08:26 PM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Garage
I researched such topic a while ago before fitting LEDs to my R3. Using any type of blue light will attract cops. Legally, white light should be used at the front, red at the rear and yellow on the sides. Other colours are not permitted.
If one wants to install LED lights of any colour (I'd stay away from blue regardless), they should be hidden under the fairings and pointed inwards not outwards, i.e. illuminate the parts of the bike with the exception of red at the back, white at the front and yellow on the sides.
This way it is considered to be kinda legal but one has to be ready to explain himself if facing a cop.
post #8 of 8 Old 10-09-2019, 10:07 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I've been running the blue halo flush mounts for over a year and never had a cop bat an eye about them. Cops are 50/50 here regarding aftermarket lights. My opinion about the blue color is that it catches drivers eyes a lot more than standard colors at night. I see them staring in what I could only assume is amazement I think this falls into the same category as removing your reflectors in terms of legal danger. Are both technically illegal, yes. From the cops I have talked to about it they told me that they do not care as long as its not flashing. Flashing blue = police

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R3 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page