• 2 Post By Naz Moe
  • 1 Post By xorbe
  • 1 Post By fbr

post #1 of 10 Old 11-16-2019, 05:43 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Scariest experience of my life!

So today, after riding on and off for more than 15yrs I had the scariest experience of my life. I was on my way back home riding on a back road that I have ridden down countless times in many years. Since it's a nice long stretch I decided to open it up a bit. As I glanced at the speedo indicating 168km/h I hit a minor bump in the road. The bike went into a violent tank slapper and I could actually hear the tires screeching, thinking this is going to be bad! Through the grace of God the bike straightened back out and managed to come to safe stop. Suffice to say I was really shaken up. Back home now with just a terrible headache, I checked the bike over and tire pressures are spot on. Guess it was just the bump and the speed that set it off. My bike is a 2016 stock tires with 5000km on it btw.
Stay safe guys, sh#t goes down pretty quickly at speed. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191116_101351_1573897373276.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	173.7 KB
ID:	65697
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 11-16-2019, 08:46 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Glad you're safe, and thanks for the reminder. Unexpected Stuff Happens. Some folks will blame the OEM bias ply tires. I don't buy that. IMO, Bias ply tires have been common throughout the motorcycle industry, are safe, extremely long wear, and if anything, a sturdier tire when compared to a radial. I had a similar off and on experience with an '83 BMW. The front end would occasionally shake after running over an irregularity in the road. I Finally installed a steering damper and the "problem" went away. Admittedly, the R3 has a MUCH better steering/suspension than that old BMW. My point was just to mention the steering damper.

To ride or not to ride? What a stupid question! ... Anon

Last edited by airhead83; 11-16-2019 at 08:49 AM.
post #3 of 10 Old 11-16-2019, 11:43 AM Thread Starter

Yeah, I don't think the tires are to blame. Best explanation I have is that the front wheel got airborne after I hit the bump and then landed off center resulting in a tankslapper. The screeching tires was what got me scared,never experienced that before.
kiko and airhead83 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 11-16-2019, 09:06 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
I always wondered about what kinds of situations would cause a tank slapper situation. Glad you're ok

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 10 Old 11-17-2019, 11:58 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naz Moe View Post
Yeah, I don't think the tires are to blame. Best explanation I have is that the front wheel got airborne after I hit the bump and then landed off center resulting in a tankslapper. The screeching tires was what got me scared,never experienced that before.
The tires may not have been to blame in this instance, but I was sure glad when I replaced the stock bias ply tires with "softer" tires. I no longer felt the tires skittering through corners over the lousy chip seal road surfaces around here. So far, I've not experienced a tank slapper the OP enjoyed recently, but I probably don't ride as aggressively on the roads as some might. I'm really glad the OP didn't have worse problems resulting from the tankslapper.
TMD5855 likes this.
post #6 of 10 Old 11-17-2019, 12:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP RIDER View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naz Moe View Post
The tires may not have been to blame in this instance, but I was sure glad when I replaced the stock bias ply tires with "softer" tires. I no longer felt the tires skittering through corners over the lousy chip seal road surfaces around here. So far, I've not experienced a tank slapper the OP enjoyed recently, but I probably don't ride as aggressively on the roads as some might. I'm really glad the OP didn't have worse problems resulting from the tankslapper.
Just a note on the aggressive riding bit, literally for the entire 200km ride I was riding at or below the speed limit (100km/h). In a fit of stupidity I decided to crank it up and was immediately reminded why I prefer riding at lower speeds.
Incidentally, the stock tires are working fine for me since there's hardly a corner in a 300km radius where I live 😶. They have 5000km on them and still look fresh.
airhead83 and GP RIDER like this.
post #7 of 10 Old 12-03-2019, 07:40 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I'm sure the front went airborne for a second and landed a little skewed causing the tank slap. It happened to me when I was younger on a CBR600f4 at 125-130mph, the front lifted accidentally after hitting a small bump, landed softly but shook violently afterwards. But just like you, God was good to me and my guardian angel helped me control the bike without falling down despite my lack of experience. At that speed, I had no chance.

Last edited by A Almeda; 12-04-2019 at 01:58 PM.
post #8 of 10 Old 12-06-2019, 01:12 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Stay light on the bars. I did something similar with my 765. I got into it with top of 2nd gear, when the front barely came up, I shifted the bars and then when it set down it wasn't straight, got the wobbles not too bad though. It just happens so fast though.
A Almeda likes this.
post #9 of 10 Old 12-06-2019, 02:46 PM
fbr

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
I have more dirt bike experience than street but I do ride R3 and R6 on track and one thing I know from dirt bikes is that letting off the gas exacerbates this condition. I know easier said than done, but on the dirt I can usually keep myself from shutting off the throttle while the bike straightens out. The pros on dirt might actually accelerate to straighten out. I won’t pretend to know what to do at 100+ mph.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
A Almeda likes this.
post #10 of 10 Old 12-22-2019, 04:05 AM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Just like the original poster, had a bad fright on the bike yesterday, there is a lovely stretch of road from Ban Nong Krad back to my village (Not mine really, just live there) open countryside so you can see across fields and anyone joining the road. Weather were sunny 34'c so road and tyres warm

This road is used a lot by the Thai school/teen boy racers in their heavily modded 100/110/115cc bikes, no front brakes, no mirrors, no air filter and a huge exhaust without baffles.

Also the lowered and smoke screen belching pickups use this road as a drag strip leaving a smokescreen a WWII corvette would be proud of, well had two pickups zoom past me as I were leaving Nong Krad, so followed, one pickup were way quicker than the second and started pulling away so I went past him and came up about 10m behind the leader, went around a gentle bend, only traffic coming towards us were a bike and sidecar, just then he pulled across me, I ducked down left to go up the inside and then SEEN the tractor he had pulled out too early to overtake :Oops3:

That distance saved me, also helped by the sticky Pirelli rubber and the racing pads/caliper which took off the speed a lot quicker than I thought possible.

Those large round plough discs on the back of these tractors look scary up real close.

Once past the tractor it were engage warp drive to 7.

Big thanks again to Jesse Norton for the racing pads, also Pirelli thank you. If I had OEM tyres and brakes I would have hit the tractor. Money well spent.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R3 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page