• 1 Post By xorbe

post #1 of 7 Old 12-02-2019, 11:35 PM Thread Starter
R M

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
2018 R3 sounding funny after highway?

hey guys,
little bit of background, I've had my R3 for a month now, I bought it second hand, it's 2018, and only done 3,900kms when I bought it, the guy who had it had it for sitting licenses and a bit of commuting (we in new zealand).

I find that after about 20 minutes on the highway (100-110 kmph) the engine is sounding different when travelling at speed (a bit of a whine/ sounds like it has a turbo) and once I'm done, when the bike is idling it has a bit of a 'knock' vibration to it.

I've never had the temp exceed 3 bars, and I warm the bike up before use, I don't do many launches.

Any advice? Is this normal or should I $ for it to get looked at?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 12-03-2019, 04:11 AM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
What RPM are you cruising at? Is the problem repeatable? Have you serviced your bike? Some more details would help.

Milc
post #3 of 7 Old 12-03-2019, 08:31 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Have you checked your oil and coolant levels? It might not be a big deal but you should have it checked. You may also want to change the oil just in case. You don't know what the previous guy did with it as far as maintenance goes (if anything). With the low kms on it, you should consider doing a full service on it. Start with a new air filter and put in a new Iridium plug (stock isn't Iridium)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 12-03-2019, 06:26 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
My guess is also oil. Sitting at high rpm for a long time will break it down and it eventually it loses it's original properties. There's nothing like giving your baby some fresh oil. Even if it doesn't resolve your problem, you've still done the bike a favour.
post #5 of 7 Old 12-03-2019, 10:31 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Are you sure the whine is an engine/mechanical sound? It could be possible a fairing or something similar on your bike is out of place and is causing an odd sound at higher speeds. Also welcome (from another Kiwi!)
airhead83 likes this.
post #6 of 7 Old 12-04-2019, 09:27 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
I'd be surprised if the problem is in the engine. The R3's is almost bullet proof. I'd be looking for exhaust leaks at fasteners, clamps, and flanges, especially on the cylinder heads and headers, also at clamps holding the pipes together. If nothing there, I'd look at the air intake system including the air filter housing and hoses attached to the system. Something MAY be broken.. Something MAY be loose. Gremlins come in all shapes and colors. And some are ghosts we never figure out and learn to live with. Good Luck.

To ride or not to ride? What a stupid question! ... Anon
post #7 of 7 Old 12-06-2019, 01:16 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
I know my car sounds different after abusing it, I'm not 100% sure, but I suspect the hot exhaust resonates differently. But that's not a 'knock' sound, I'd have to hear OP's bike. Engines are noisy contraptions.
airhead83 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R3 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page