Real world R3 Fuel mileage thread - Page 26 - Yamaha R3 Forum
User Tag List

 42Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #251 of 279 Old 04-03-2019, 02:20 PM
Member
 
Tom Liberatore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Northern Cal,
Posts: 47
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by proneto911 View Post
Didn’t realize that a power commander can get ~5 more mpg. Not sure if it’s worth it. Was thinking about getting it.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think so, now it runs like it was intended to before it had to pass emission standards. When you blip the throttle, it blips and just generally runs better. There is a plan B to take it Bonneville, so I felt it was nesessary.
Of course, being almost 70, my version of not babying it might differ from yours.

Pepperoni Bros. Racing

Last edited by Tom Liberatore; 04-03-2019 at 07:28 PM.
Tom Liberatore is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #252 of 279 Old 04-05-2019, 02:44 AM
Member
 
SofaCruiser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Regensburg, Bavaria, Germany
Posts: 95
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Garage
I put some 35.500 km (22,050 mls) on my R3 since new in July 2016 and my average mileage is close to 70 mpg (3,37 l/100km) and indeed, the dashboard is pretty accurate on the R3...
Best mileage ever was 77.9 mpg, worst mileage was 57.9 mpg. Longest range between two tank stops was 467,2 km (290.3 mls) and the maximum gas I managed to squeeze into my tank after running it dry on purpose was 14,9 liters (3.94 gal).
That are the real world figures that I can provide...

___________
Bernd Almstedt
Yamaha YZF-R3 2016 (race blue), BMW R1200RT 2009 (black/silver)


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by SofaCruiser; 04-05-2019 at 09:16 AM.
SofaCruiser is online now  
post #253 of 279 Old 04-05-2019, 08:01 AM
Moderator
 
airhead83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Burke County, NC
Posts: 669
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SofaCruiser View Post
I put some 35.500 km (22,050 mls) on my R3 since new in July 2016 and my average mileage is close to 70 mpg (3,37 l/100km) and indeed, the dashboard is pretty accurate on the R3...
Best mileage ever was 77.9 mpg, worst mileage was 57.9 mpg. Longest range between two tank stops was 467,w km (290.3 mls) and the maximum gas I managed to squeeze into my tank after running it dry on purpose was 14,9 liters (3.94 gal).
That are the real world figures that I can provide...
That's awesome. I don't know what fuels are available in the EU. So, Please humor an old man. Are you using fuels blended with ethanol? I've ranted for years about the reduced mileage, and lack of reduced cost, of ethanol fuel. I get it, it should burn cleaner. But if you have to burn more fuel to travel the same distance??? Aren't we really just putting a bowtie on a pig? It's still a pig! And one could argue the bowtie should have been a necktie.
SofaCruiser likes this.

To ride or not to ride? What a stupid question! ... Anon
airhead83 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #254 of 279 Old 04-05-2019, 09:12 AM
Member
 
SofaCruiser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Regensburg, Bavaria, Germany
Posts: 95
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by airhead83 View Post
That's awesome. I don't know what fuels are available in the EU. So, Please humor an old man. Are you using fuels blended with ethanol? I've ranted for years about the reduced mileage, and lack of reduced cost, of ethanol fuel.
I fully agree... - we do have various kinds of quality in Europe too. I once tried E10 (10% Ethanol fuel) when it was introduced here in Germany but I found that mileage suffered too much to compensate the very moderately lower price, not to speak of the potential damages Ethanol can have on your vehicle...
I usually visit the Czech Republic for refuelleing for many years now and they use even less Ethanol in their fuel than the German quality brands which leads to an improved mileage rate. Czech fuel is considered to contain less than 2% Ethanol vs. 5% Ethanol in standard German fuel and it also contains less additives which do nothing than impact the mileage negatively. I usually get about 3-5% more mileage from Czech fuel than from German fuel and this observation is true for all my vehicles, my Mercedes car as well as my BMW, Honda or Yamaha...
airhead83 likes this.

___________
Bernd Almstedt
Yamaha YZF-R3 2016 (race blue), BMW R1200RT 2009 (black/silver)


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
SofaCruiser is online now  
post #255 of 279 Old 04-05-2019, 09:30 AM
Moderator
 
airhead83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Burke County, NC
Posts: 669
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SofaCruiser View Post
I fully agree... - we do have various kinds of quality in Europe too. I once tried E10 (10% Ethanol fuel) when it was introduced here in Germany but I found that mileage suffered too much to compensate the very moderately lower price, not to speak of the potential damages Ethanol can have on your vehicle...
I usually visit the Czech Republic for refuelleing for many years now and they use even less Ethanol in their fuel than the German quality brands which leads to an improved mileage rate. Czech fuel is considered to contain less than 2% Ethanol vs. 5% Ethanol in standard German fuel and it also contains less additives which do nothing than impact the mileage negatively. I usually get about 3-5% more mileage from Czech fuel than from German fuel and this observation is true for all my vehicles, my Mercedes car as well as my BMW, Honda or Yamaha...

My goodness!! How do the EU farmers ever financially survive? My region offers "up to 10% ethanol". Unless I'm willing to pay, what is normally, over $1/gal more for nonethanol gasoline. Doesn't take much math to do that calculation. Although I do bite the bullet for my small engine lawn equipment's fuel. Good weekend. Ride Safe.

To ride or not to ride? What a stupid question! ... Anon
airhead83 is offline  
post #256 of 279 Old 04-05-2019, 09:43 AM
Member
 
SofaCruiser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Regensburg, Bavaria, Germany
Posts: 95
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Garage
In Germany you have to pay 2 - 3 cent extra for "standard" 5% Ethanol fuel vs. 10% Ethanol gas. That is less than 2% more based on current prices around 1,40Ä per liter, equivalent to USD 5.75 per gallon....

In the Czech Republic I pay about 1,23Ä per liter (USD 5.09 per gallon) for better gas! I really love the freedom of choice and free travelling... - especially as I live only 40 miles west of the border.
airhead83 likes this.

___________
Bernd Almstedt
Yamaha YZF-R3 2016 (race blue), BMW R1200RT 2009 (black/silver)


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
SofaCruiser is online now  
post #257 of 279 Old 04-06-2019, 09:55 AM
Senior Member
 
Matt-J2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Appleton, WI
Posts: 261
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by airhead83 View Post
But if you have to burn more fuel to travel the same distance??? Aren't we really just putting a bowtie on a pig? It's still a pig! And one could argue the bowtie should have been a necktie.

Not exactly, no. More fuel doesn't always mean the same thing. So, assuming ethanol burns cleaner, a gallon of it has less emissions when burned than a gallon of gasoline. So depending on how much cleaner, burning 1ga of pure Gasoline to travel X distance has lower emissions than burning 1.1ga of 90/10 gas/ethanol mix for the same distance. Barely, but it's there. (Burning 1ga of gasoline vs .99ga, with the assumption that .11ga ethanol has less emissions than .01ga gasoline) Obviously, the closer the ratio the better.



Regardless, the idea isn't to burn less fuel per (distance), but to generate less harmful emissions per (distance). I don't know that it accomplishes that goal or not, but that's the intent. I also wonder, given that many systems run lean, how much incoming air quality has an impact.
airhead83 likes this.

This is my signature. Woo.
Hit me up on Instagram, look at my terrible pics: motomatt_r3
Matt-J2 is offline  
post #258 of 279 Old 04-06-2019, 06:29 PM
Moderator
 
airhead83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Burke County, NC
Posts: 669
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt-J2 View Post
Not exactly, no. More fuel doesn't always mean the same thing. So, assuming ethanol burns cleaner, a gallon of it has less emissions when burned than a gallon of gasoline. So depending on how much cleaner, burning 1ga of pure Gasoline to travel X distance has lower emissions than burning 1.1ga of 90/10 gas/ethanol mix for the same distance. Barely, but it's there. (Burning 1ga of gasoline vs .99ga, with the assumption that .11ga ethanol has less emissions than .01ga gasoline) Obviously, the closer the ratio the better.



Regardless, the idea isn't to burn less fuel per (distance), but to generate less harmful emissions per (distance). I don't know that it accomplishes that goal or not, but that's the intent. I also wonder, given that many systems run lean, how much incoming air quality has an impact.
My point was fuel mileage. But I agree we should be doing more to clean up emissions. But IMO, ethanol alone isn't a cure. Especially when the improved fuel mileage requirements on vehicles, that have been in place for years, are abruptly removed. Larger, much larger vehicles have become the norm, with no improved fuel mileage for some of the most popular models, than was achievable in the 1970s. I don't have any realistic answers, just complaints. But until we get $$$ out of the policy making decisions, little actual progress will be made. And for the majority of folks, as long as everyone all around makes money, all must be good.
Matt-J2 likes this.

To ride or not to ride? What a stupid question! ... Anon
airhead83 is offline  
post #259 of 279 Old 04-08-2019, 04:11 AM
Junior Member
 
Keith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 20
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by proneto911 View Post
What setup do you have to get 75mpg? Highest Iíve been able to get is like 60mpg.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Completely standard bike, mostly out of town miles and shifting up between 6000 and 9000rpm depending on how much of a hurry I'm in. Almost never rev beyond 9000 as you can feel the torque fading rapidly from then on.
airhead83 likes this.
Keith is offline  
post #260 of 279 Old 04-15-2019, 05:11 PM
Senior Member
 
proneto911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Prospect Heights, IL
Posts: 112
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Garage
interesting may need to start raving higher. been keeping the revs down when going around town keeping below 5k. will have to do some experiments riding around when their snow goes away in Chicago. got like 4 inches yesterday.
proneto911 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R3 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome