Bought my R3 - Yamaha R3 Forum
User Tag List

7Likes

post #1 of 16 Old 05-09-2018, 10:29 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Bought my R3

2018 R3 ABS for $5000 out the door. I'm coming from an R6, R1, CBR 600rr and a GSXR 750. Decided to down size and go for MPG's and economical riding haha....but I'll be tracking her at lone star track days. After lurking around for past year today I made the decision.
f1lupo and Omnislug like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 05-09-2018, 11:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Congrats. That seems like a really awesome price. I'm guessing you're not in CA.

Nice to see some of you experienced guys "upgrading" to R3's, haha. Helps me curb my urge to trade mine in for something bigger. I need to stick to my original plan of keeping this one for at least 2 years before getting a new bike. And even then, I think I'll want to hang on to this one and keep it as a track bike/spare for when whatever 2nd bike I get is down for maintenance/repair.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 16 Old 05-10-2018, 12:42 AM

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Welcome to the forum dausmus! Looking forward to your opinions on the R3 coming off supersports and literbikes.
Omnislug likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 05-10-2018, 03:49 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
It so much more fun to ride a slow bike fast than ride a fast bike slow....if you rode track on the bigger bikes, forget most of what you know. Riding the R3 will really help improve technique and how not ot loose momentum....

Which tracks do you plan to go (In Texas, right)?
Kojiiro likes this.

AFM #723
2018 Sponsors:
post #5 of 16 Old 05-10-2018, 04:51 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Welcome aboard! I'm curious to hear about your experiences as well. While I really love my R3, the lure of a 600cc bike purely for the sound is just intoxicating. But I think it would be major overkill given the type of light riding I do on my R3. If the R3 was a four banger, then it would be 100% perfect and I'd definitely never ever switch.
Omnislug likes this.

post #6 of 16 Old 05-11-2018, 12:41 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
i love my r3 10k miles in 1 yr and planning on getting the r1 but not selling my r3 just got it dynoed today but i dont know how much hp it gained it just shows the hp gains in the different throttle percentages
post #7 of 16 Old 05-12-2018, 01:41 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluebirdR3 View Post
Welcome aboard! I'm curious to hear about your experiences as well. While I really love my R3, the lure of a 600cc bike purely for the sound is just intoxicating. But I think it would be major overkill given the type of light riding I do on my R3. If the R3 was a four banger, then it would be 100% perfect and I'd definitely never ever switch.
I wonder if Yamaha will ever bring back the 250-300cc four cylinder engines, I heard a FZR 250 that a neighbor owned a block from where I grew up, bad ass little bike! Haven't had the chance to actually ride one but I'd REALLY love to see a 60 HP 300cc bike, I'd be all over it. Considering the cost I kinda doubt anyone will be making these again but we can dream no? I'm definitely getting an R6 when I pay off the R3, Test rode a 2016 a few months ago and I completely agree...the SOUND was SOOOOO amazing! like it was breathing, I had no idea it sounded THAT GOOD!!!!! With stock exhaust the induction sound was louder than the exhaust and it was Beautiful.

And all I've heard about no low end power...I totally disagree, that bike accelerated PLENTY fast to put a ear to ear grin on my face and make me giggle like a school girl....I had soooo much fun on that 15 minute test ride and all I thought was " I NEEED ONE!" I'll try the CBR 600RR before I decide but I'm pretty sure I'll get the R6. I can't wait!
BluebirdR3 likes this.

" Only When You're nothing can you be everything" Matus
post #8 of 16 Old 05-12-2018, 01:53 AM

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 957 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc-Ram View Post
It so much more fun to ride a slow bike fast than ride a fast bike slow....if you rode track on the bigger bikes, forget most of what you know. Riding the R3 will really help improve technique and how not ot loose momentum....

Which tracks do you plan to go (In Texas, right)?
Amen to that. Compare these two riders. Same track, roughly same lap times, but totally different riding styles.

Really fast on a liter bike on this track is like sub 1:10?

https://youtu.be/zYoYguzePqA

https://youtu.be/6I7FuHuwP2c
post #9 of 16 Old 05-12-2018, 07:43 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omnislug View Post
I wonder if Yamaha will ever bring back the 250-300cc four cylinder engines, I heard a FZR 250 that a neighbor owned a block from where I grew up, bad ass little bike! Haven't had the chance to actually ride one but I'd REALLY love to see a 60 HP 300cc bike, I'd be all over it. Considering the cost I kinda doubt anyone will be making these again but we can dream no? I'm definitely getting an R6 when I pay off the R3, Test rode a 2016 a few months ago and I completely agree...the SOUND was SOOOOO amazing! like it was breathing, I had no idea it sounded THAT GOOD!!!!! With stock exhaust the induction sound was louder than the exhaust and it was Beautiful.

And all I've heard about no low end power...I totally disagree, that bike accelerated PLENTY fast to put a ear to ear grin on my face and make me giggle like a school girl....I had soooo much fun on that 15 minute test ride and all I thought was " I NEEED ONE!" I'll try the CBR 600RR before I decide but I'm pretty sure I'll get the R6. I can't wait!

I really wanted an R6 too - until I sat on one. I really don't like the height of the seat and the forward leaning position (which I know is the whole point). Sat on the CBR600 and it was much more comfortable and the seat height was better for us shorties. That being said, the R6 is by far the best looking bike out there in its class, IMO. But any 600 4 banger will sound so good that it just makes me want to get one. Even though it would be total overkill for what I would use it for, still would be pretty darn cool.

post #10 of 16 Old 05-12-2018, 09:40 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Congrats on the R3, I bought mine for the economical aspect of it as well, except my choice was based on insurance rates. Cost me $60 a month for my R3 and an R6 was going to be $220 a month.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R3 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page