New IL owner of a used 2015 - Page 2 - Yamaha R3 Forum
User Tag List

21Likes

post #11 of 19 Old 03-05-2019, 02:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Whereabouts in IL? I'm downtown Chicago. Down to ride if you're ever in the area.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 19 Old 03-05-2019, 11:51 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I am looking to coming to Chicago just not sure how soon it would be. I would like to come to one of the big rides. Kinda like we have the ride of the century here in St.Louis. I also am planning a saddlesore ride that is gonna take me through Chicago as well. What kind of rides do you have in Chicago?
post #13 of 19 Old 03-06-2019, 12:10 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by airhead83 View Post
Get in touch with any authorized Yamaha Dealer. Let them verify with your VIN #. They will probably need to order parts, and then schedule the work. Good Luck and Ride Safe.
Thanks - I have my bike in the shop now and they plan to have it ready in a couple days. Heís done over 40 of these but said only 60% of the R3ís he sold has come back for the work! I thank you for your help! They also updated the bike to my name and address for future communication with Yamaha should there be any.
airhead83 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 19 Old 03-06-2019, 12:16 PM Thread Starter

)

Quote:
Originally Posted by raize View Post
Whereabouts in IL? I'm downtown Chicago. Down to ride if you're ever in the area.
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLR3BLACK View Post
I am looking to coming to Chicago just not sure how soon it would be. I would like to come to one of the big rides. Kinda like we have the ride of the century here in St.Louis. I also am planning a saddlesore ride that is gonna take me through Chicago as well. What kind of rides do you have in Chicago?

Thanks guys for the offers - I plan to take some skill riding classes this spring/summer before riding with others or group stuff. I took the safety class already but need skill riding to become good on the R3.

If you can recommend any great skill course classes in the Chicago suburbs (Iím in SW Suburbs) please do.
post #15 of 19 Old 03-06-2019, 02:22 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Rider Courses

Quote:
Originally Posted by APV1 View Post
Thanks guys for the offers - I plan to take some skill riding classes this spring/summer before riding with others or group stuff. I took the safety class already but need skill riding to become good on the R3.

If you can recommend any great skill course classes in the Chicago suburbs (Iím in SW Suburbs) please do.
If you check Harper College's website (the one used for the state-sponsored MSF class) they also offer an Intermediate and Advanced Rider Course. The Advanced requires you bring your own bike and (I believe) asks that you have logged 1,000mi riding so you are adequately familiar with controls and handling characteristics. They just started posting this season's class dates a week or so ago so there should still be plenty of openings.

P.S. Keep in mind the ARC is only offered at some of the locations. I believe the IRC is offered at all of them.
stak likes this.
post #16 of 19 Old 03-06-2019, 03:52 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by APV1 View Post
Thanks - I have my bike in the shop now and they plan to have it ready in a couple days. He’s done over 40 of these but said only 60% of the R3’s he sold has come back for the work! I thank you for your help! They also updated the bike to my name and address for future communication with Yamaha should there be any.
Great. One of these recalls (the shifter spring) requires the dealer to drop the oil, and refill with fresh. But I don't think Yamaha covers the price of an oil filter. Call the dealer and ask if the oil is being changed and ask about the filter. They may spin one on for you for the cost of the filter. If not, you may want to pick up a new oil filter to spin on when you get home. Service complete!! Reset the "oil change tripmeter" per your owners manual, page 4-8. The tripmeter will remind you when the next service is due. If you do not have an owner's manual, I'd really recommend you ask the dealer to order one for you. They're fairly inexpensive, and contain lots of info for you to look through while you wait for warmer weather. And a lot of the questions that are bound to come up as you get familiar with you R3, will have already been answered. Cause you read it in the manual. Sorry, I'm off my soapbox now. Enjoy your new bike.

To ride or not to ride? What a stupid question! ... Anon
post #17 of 19 Old 03-06-2019, 07:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by airhead83 View Post
Great. One of these recalls (the shifter spring) requires the dealer to drop the oil, and refill with fresh. But I don't think Yamaha covers the price of an oil filter. Call the dealer and ask if the oil is being changed and ask about the filter. They may spin one on for you for the cost of the filter. If not, you may want to pick up a new oil filter to spin on when you get home. Service complete!! Reset the "oil change tripmeter" per your owners manual, page 4-8. The tripmeter will remind you when the next service is due. If you do not have an owner's manual, I'd really recommend you ask the dealer to order one for you. They're fairly inexpensive, and contain lots of info for you to look through while you wait for warmer weather. And a lot of the questions that are bound to come up as you get familiar with you R3, will have already been answered. Cause you read it in the manual. Sorry, I'm off my soapbox now. Enjoy your new bike.
Yes I thought of that when I dropped it off and heís going to put a filter on at cost. I ordered a service manual from eBay as well he R3 has a really amazing instrument panel with things like MPG and oil change reminder. Iím impressed!
airhead83 likes this.
post #18 of 19 Old 03-11-2019, 08:30 AM Thread Starter

Got the bike back and all the recalls taken care of in only 3 days. Richís Yamaha in Lockport IL has a great staff. John in service takes the time to explain the work to you. Thanks again to this forum for bringing this all to my attention.
airhead83 likes this.
post #19 of 19 Old 03-11-2019, 10:37 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Garage
well if your ever near the northwest/ north suburbs there is a glow run later in the year. starts out by Harper College and goes slow and its for the ride. one of the people at TTS Motolouge sponsors the event. I've never been on one but I'm going to this year if I can get my health insurance in order this year.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R3 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page