User Tag List

15Likes

post #11 of 17 Old 03-15-2019, 07:43 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluebirdR3 View Post
Welcome Keith! The Oxford heated grips - can you tell me more about those? It gets chilly here in Canada and heated grips would be really nice. How hard were they to install?
I have the Oxford Heated Grips and agree with Keith, easy install. The only minor challenge was needing to reduce the "lands" off the receiving portion, so the Oxford's rigid grip would slide on. The Yamaha OEM grips have the grooves to fit over the raised portions. Not so with Oxford's. But a small amount of sanding worked enough for the grips to slide on.
BluebirdR3 likes this.

To ride or not to ride? What a stupid question! ... Anon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 17 Old 03-15-2019, 12:33 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by airhead83 View Post
I have the Oxford Heated Grips and agree with Keith, easy install. The only minor challenge was needing to reduce the "lands" off the receiving portion, so the Oxford's rigid grip would slide on. The Yamaha OEM grips have the grooves to fit over the raised portions. Not so with Oxford's. But a small amount of sanding worked enough for the grips to slide on.
I used a file rather than sandpaper and looking at the finished job I wish I'd removed the flange on the throttle tube so I could get the hotgrip closer to the switch housing but I was rushing against fading daylight. Hence my comment about taking your time.
airhead83 likes this.
post #13 of 17 Old 03-15-2019, 12:40 PM Thread Starter

I appear to be able to post images now:

Does my box look big in this?

Last edited by Keith; 03-15-2019 at 12:44 PM. Reason: Tidy up image code and remove unnecessary links
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 17 Old 03-15-2019, 01:27 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Garage
Hey Keith,

Your box doesn't look too big but I wonder what impact it may have on the center of gravity and controls?
My R1200RT weighs almost twice as much as an R3 but still, it feels way more sensitive and less stable with than without the topcase.
When I ride my R3 with my 50 litres SWTech bags on the rearseat, it feels a bit less agile and at the same time less stable than without... - one of the reasons why I prefer tank bags and low centre of gravity over topcases.
How much load can you put in your topcase?

Cheers,

Bernd

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #15 of 17 Old 03-15-2019, 02:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SofaCruiser View Post
Hey Keith,

Your box doesn't look too big but I wonder what impact it may have on the center of gravity and controls?
My R1200RT weighs almost twice as much as an R3 but still, it feels way more sensitive and less stable with than without the topcase.
When I ride my R3 with my 50 litres SWTech bags on the rearseat, it feels a bit less agile and at the same time less stable than without... - one of the reasons why I prefer tank bags and low centre of gravity over topcases.
How much load can you put in your topcase?

Cheers,

Bernd
I usually travel light, clothes in the top box and camping kit in a roll bag on the back seat. That set-up worked fine on my CBR250R. Locally it's just nice to have somewhere to stash my helmet and gloves or a bit of shopping.
airhead83 likes this.
post #16 of 17 Old 03-18-2019, 04:20 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
Hi Folks.

I picked up my R3, a 2016 in grey with just 1660 miles on the clock mid February. I'm not a newbie, I've been riding for 38 years now and have had bigger bikes in the past but it always seems to be the smaller ones that become the keepers for me.

I won't be putting mega miles on my bike. I don't work far enough away to commute on it and have family responsibilities and a mountain biking habit competing for my spare time, but I do usually manage to get at least a couple of nights away exploring by bike each summer.

My last two bikes have been a CBR250R, owned for 5 years and before that a Japanese domestic market VTZ250 that I owned for 7 years. I'm hoping the R3 will combine the best of both of those, a smoother more powerful twin cylinder motor like the VTZ and the new(ish)-bike reliability and well designed fairing of the CBR. Early impressions are positive. A big R3 selling point for me was that lovely big traditional tacho dominating the instruments.

Modifications so far are: Shad luggage mount for my top box (I hear those yawns), Oxford heated grips, sat nav mount and when it arrives,[IMG][/IMG] a USB power socket. I also intend to get the seat reprofiled to slope forward less. The big selling point on my CBR was that when I first rode one I felt I could spend all day aboard it just travelling, and a few times I did. The R3's close but not quite there yet. I've found a shop about an hour's ride away that can fix the seat for me so when I get a day off that doesn't coincide with stormy weather I'll be off to see them.

I'll post a picture or two when this forum lets me.
Hi Keith
I'm new here too,fitted Oxford grips on mine during the week,tried them out today on a spin,great.I'm sure you'll not regret your purchase,it's a lovely bike,light and nimble.
Enjoy!
Keith likes this.
post #17 of 17 Old 03-20-2019, 08:27 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Welcome!
Keith likes this.

-Ryan

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R3 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page