User Tag List

1Likes
  • 1 Post By Brid Caveney

post #1 of 6 Old 07-30-2019, 05:54 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
2015 R3 Track Bike - Austin Texas USA

Hi there -- my name is Brid Caveney. I'm an ex-pat Irish/Manx/Englishman, living in Austin Texas. Ex Ahrma National Champion (Trial & Roadrace) and raced the Isle Of Man in 1988/2005.
I'm building a 2015 R3 track bike, and just putting new Pirelli Supercorsa TD's on it, along with a full Akrapovic system, and Woodcraft rearsets.
It already has 'worked' suspension, Woodcraft Clip on's, and a 415 chain/sprocket conversion. All smog gear removed - and ECU flashed. No main bodywork, but got some used stuff coming next week --- BUT, minus a tail section (have the stock seat pad)

Anyone have a decent one for sale? Either Supersport (using stock seat pad) or Superbike style (stick on pad) would work. Going to have to repair paint the fairing etc, so don't need anything fancy.
BTW - the cooling fan has been removed - is that OK? Won't ever be used on the road - but quite likely to be ridden in rather hot temps!!

Will be running the bike at Harris Hill Raceway - in San Marcos, just South of Austin -- where I've been riding my mates Honda CBR300, and really looking forward to getting the R3 on track. Any help gratefully accepted.
Milc likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-31-2019, 07:28 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Welcome. We have some racers here on the Forum who can probably give you an answer concerning the cooling fan. Give them a few days, and if you haven't heard anything, start another thread drawing their attention with a catchy heading concerning racing.

To ride or not to ride? What a stupid question! ... Anon
post #3 of 6 Old 08-01-2019, 03:34 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
No tail section to sale but I would steer away from the 415 chain. Saw one brake on a friend that races local and it destroyed the swing arm. And I've heard of others that have had problems. You will love the R3 on the track.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 08-03-2019, 02:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by s102000 View Post
No tail section to sale but I would steer away from the 415 chain. Saw one brake on a friend that races local and it destroyed the swing arm. And I've heard of others that have had problems. You will love the R3 on the track.
Thanks for the chain warning -- as it got me to look around to try and find more folks who have had problems - but really couldn't find many. Biggest deal is keeping correct adjustment, lubing it - and replacing it as soon as any wear is found --- which, as an ex racer, is all 'par for the course'. Yeah - really looking forward to getting some laps on it - as it may need a couple of suspension 'tweaks' to suit me perfectly.
post #5 of 6 Old 08-05-2019, 11:03 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Cooling fan is a non-issue as long as the bike is moving, and the only time a track bike is not moving is pretty much during gridding and that's it. I didn't bother removing it on my R3 but my previous race bike didn't have a cooling fan, and it was never an issue.
post #6 of 6 Old 08-09-2019, 04:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFaster View Post
Cooling fan is a non-issue as long as the bike is moving, and the only time a track bike is not moving is pretty much during gridding and that's it. I didn't bother removing it on my R3 but my previous race bike didn't have a cooling fan, and it was never an issue.
Cool (I hope!) thanks. Just going to replace the stock radiator hoses, with uprated silicon ones, and add Red Line Water Wetter ---

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R3 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page