• 1 Post By AesonVirus
  • 1 Post By AesonVirus
  • 1 Post By m1yeh

post #1 of 10 Old 10-31-2016, 01:41 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Engine turn off while riding

Hey guys, so I drive a 2015 Yamaha R3 and recently I have experienced the following issue. On a rainy I was riding on the freeway at about 60-70 mph. On 6th gear, I pressed on the clutch to start pressing on the brakes to slow down in traffic. The engine surprisingly cut off on me.

I began to test what caused the engine to shut off on me. One night were it was not raining, going about 70-76 mph on 6th gear, I pressed on the clutch and shifted down to 5th gear; the engine shut off on its own.

To get out of doubt, I tested the same thing on the street that same night on 4th gear at 50-56 mph, I pressed the clutch and downshifted to 3rd gear; the engine shut off.

It's new to me after riding for a year, is that normal on a 2015 R3? Has anyone experienced the same thing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 10-31-2016, 08:45 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariorenderos View Post
Hey guys, so I drive a 2015 Yamaha R3 and recently I have experienced the following issue. On a rainy I was riding on the freeway at about 60-70 mph. On 6th gear, I pressed on the clutch to start pressing on the brakes to slow down in traffic. The engine surprisingly cut off on me.

I began to test what caused the engine to shut off on me. One night were it was not raining, going about 70-76 mph on 6th gear, I pressed on the clutch and shifted down to 5th gear; the engine shut off on its own.

To get out of doubt, I tested the same thing on the street that same night on 4th gear at 50-56 mph, I pressed the clutch and downshifted to 3rd gear; the engine shut off.

It's new to me after riding for a year, is that normal on a 2015 R3? Has anyone experienced the same thing?
Not normal and is potentially very dangerous. I'd have it looked at by a mechanic immediately.
Gizmo and airhead83 like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 10 Old 10-31-2016, 05:54 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
That's kinda scary, and I don't think that should be happening.

I'm just picturing the bike dying at 60-70 mph. So what happen to the bike when the engine stops? Is the bike still rolling or the bike would just stop abruptly??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 10-31-2016, 06:02 PM Thread Starter

Yea I'll take it to the dealer and let them know bout that. Thanks.
post #5 of 10 Old 10-31-2016, 06:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visual360 View Post
That's kinda scary, and I don't think that should be happening.

I'm just picturing the bike dying at 60-70 mph. So what happen to the bike when the engine stops? Is the bike still rolling or the bike would just stop abruptly??
I have the clutch pressed when it happens, so the bike just rolls. The fact that the bike is on gear, if I let go of the clutch, I'm sure it will flip me over.
post #6 of 10 Old 11-01-2016, 08:10 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
I wonder if the kick stand switch is faulty?
airhead83 likes this.

post #7 of 10 Old 11-01-2016, 08:11 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
I have the clutch pressed when it happens, so the bike just rolls. The fact that the bike is on gear, if I let go of the clutch, I'm sure it will flip me over.
You only really have a threat of being thrown if you are mid-corner. Remember that the drive wheel is in the rear so the front wheel wouldn't lock up and throw you.
In fact, if you are rolling, you could put the bike in 3rd gear, slow to around 15-20 mph, drop the clutch and the bike should restart itself. Keyword there being 'should', since you clearly have a problem with the bike.

Have you done any mods to the bike, or has the bike been dropped?
Any chance of there being a short to the ignition or kill switch?
airhead83 likes this.

post #8 of 10 Old 11-01-2016, 05:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AesonVirus View Post
Quote:
You only really have a threat of being thrown if you are mid-corner. Remember that the drive wheel is in the rear so the front wheel wouldn't lock up and throw you.
In fact, if you are rolling, you could put the bike in 3rd gear, slow to around 15-20 mph, drop the clutch and the bike should restart itself. Keyword there being 'should', since you clearly have a problem with the bike.

Have you done any mods to the bike, or has the bike been dropped?
Any chance of there being a short to the ignition or kill switch?
No mods done to the motorcycle. Everything is stock. I've only dropped it twice on an inclined drive way. Missed a step and leaned to ma right. Engine was running the 2nd time it fell and the motorcycle shut off on its own.

10 mins later I guess the drop sensor went back to normal on its own and the bike turned on. It had been maybe 2 or three weeks later that I noticed the issue with the engine shutting off when dropping gears at street and freeway speeds.
post #9 of 10 Old 11-02-2016, 04:40 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
There's been a few guys with minor drops and then afterwards, the engine would cut out, usually with a little wiggle of the handle bars. Your issue is slightly different with the stall coming from the clutch lever but still, you most likely have something in there that's broken or causing a short.
airhead83 likes this.

post #10 of 10 Old 07-23-2018, 07:27 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
I recently experienced my engine turn off while at the track. Exiting a corner in 4th gear, full throttle, picking up the bike, nearing redline, engine dies.

As i understand the common reasons are ignition sensor, tip over sensor, speed sensor, kickstand sensor.

This happened on the 2nd run of the day. I had enabled rev xtend in my PCV to 12500, so i disabled it and bike performed fine in runs 3, 4, and 5.
airhead83 likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R3 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page