Yamaha R3 Forums banner

Lowering front handlebars on forks.

7K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  TMD5855 
#1 ·
Can only find one posting on this forum about lowering the front after searching, but, seem to recall a thread suggesting a max of 20mm but cannot find. On youtube there are all sorts of lowering videos but no reasons given. Because of my weight and my braking I compress the forks quite easily so had bought pre-load adjuster caps.

Any info either way welcomed.
Ta

#2 ·
If you have preload adjusters fully in, and your geometry feels fine, I wouldn’t worry about lowering thr fork tubes. If you d feel it’s not turning in as much as you would like, then naturally, dropping thr forks a bit will help. I am fairly certain mine are at 25mm from top of triple to top of fork cap. Here’s an easy way to do it:

Use a center stand to pick up front end. Stick a piece of wood under the front tire. Loosen clip ons and triple tree bolts. Use wood to jack the forks up through the top triple. Tighten bolts. Measure to make sure both sides are even. Tighten everything up to torque specs. Alternatively you can hang the front end of the bike with a ratchet tie down and the garage ceiling or an A frame ladder.

#4 ·
Woodcraft makes handlebars with risers (1", 1.5", 2", 2.5"....and so on). You can mount the bars under the top triple to lower your bars, but the lowest you can go is dictated by the clearance of the throttle cables and the side fairings.

I don't understand what you mean by "I compress the forks quite easily". Are you bottoming out the travel in your forks? Stock front suspension? Have you considered taking bike to a reputable suspension shop to get the springs upgraded to your weight and riding abilities?

#9 ·
Hello Doc-Ram.
After talking with Jesse of Norton Fab, I upgraded the front brakes to race spec, I have Pirellis fitted so enjoy hard braking.

Have raced production class bikes in my younger/tender years so enjoy racing myself over timed distances here in the Thai countryside. But being 120kg, my rear shock is 1 away from max, my front is too soft for my weight and braking effort put on it.

Reputable bike shops around here are few and far between. Allowed a big bike shop in Korat to fit a big bore kit to my CBR, it failed on me riding it home. I stripped it down, not only had they fitted home made gaskets blocking off an oilway, they failed to set up the new fuel controller, etc, etc.

Nearest place recomended is in Bangkok, which is 260+ miles away, 420 kilometres. So using this site for info. Will change the fork oil, as well as fit preload adjusters.

Thanks again for the reply.
:D

#6 ·
I weigh 167 lbs about 76 kg. OEM spring rate is too light for me. If you are on the heavy side, I would start with a proper spring rate and heavier fork oil something like a synthetic 15 wt. for rebound control. Or you could try Ricor Intiminators to eliminate the dive. Preload adjusters will not keep your front end from nose diving/bottoming out. The purpose of a preload adjuster to place you in the middle of the stroke.

It is a typical OEM damper rod so cheap suspension. Do not expect that you can make chicken salad out of chicken ****, but you definitely can improve it for under 200 USD with proper springs and oil weight. Don't go full blown OCD with suspension work, there is always a compromise.

Here is link that may address some of your concerns:

http://racetech.com/page/id/30#18

Best of luck to you.

#11 ·
KimmyR3,

Just read all the info, it is all I need, My rear is a 150/60 so the back is lower, as per your situation. I will lower the same amount as yourself and set back up using same torque figures.

The pirellis fitted give a lot grip than the OEM, which on some bends here when leaving corners the back would break away for that brief bit of time. Does not give confidence, the Pirellis are like being on rails. Ambient temperature out here means the road and tyres are never cold.

Checking suspension posts yesterday, I can see why I could not find this post, you had it in "What you do today".
Thanks again

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.