• 1 Post By JimGnitecki
  • 1 Post By JimGnitecki
  • 2 Post By Maverick

post #1 of 7 Old 12-19-2018, 12:01 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Rear brake return spring

Is it necessary to have a rear brake return spring? Just installed aftermarket rearsets but it removes the stock springs. I've read people have used graves return spring but it doesn't say R3 are compatible?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 12-19-2018, 08:44 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sLing View Post
Is it necessary to have a rear brake return spring? Just installed aftermarket rearsets but it removes the stock springs. I've read people have used graves return spring but it doesn't say R3 are compatible?
I don't run one on mine....It will make your pedal a little slower in response....That being said, I have the aftermarket reservoir delete and rarely use the rear brake.
post #3 of 7 Old 12-21-2018, 01:32 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by marshdrummer View Post
I don't run one on mine....It will make your pedal a little slower in response....That being said, I have the aftermarket reservoir delete and rarely use the rear brake.
I'm more worried about the rear brake getting stuck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 12-21-2018, 03:25 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
I think you risk having the brake stay "on" if you have no spring, and that's pretty distastrous from safety, wear, and thermal damage perspectives. I wouldn't do it.

Jim G
sLing likes this.
post #5 of 7 Old 12-21-2018, 05:48 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sLing View Post
Its not 100% necessary, but for the cost you should have one. The rear brake spring is more used for preventing accidental activation of the brake light, it has no significant function other than to keep the pedal from accidentally activating the switch. The pedal doesnt weigh enough to have it drag the rear brake.

If you want get yourself one of these Woodcraft Brake Spring

Mav
post #6 of 7 Old 12-21-2018, 05:51 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick View Post
. . . The pedal doesnt weigh enough to have it drag the rear brake.
I don't think I believe that. The pedal has a lot of leverage (in order to make it easy for the rider to activate it), and all it has to do is cause a very light drag and that will generate friction and heat like crazy. Whyr risk it? A suitable spring is very inexpensive.

Jim G
airhead83 likes this.
post #7 of 7 Old 12-21-2018, 06:16 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimGnitecki View Post
I don't think I believe that. The pedal has a lot of leverage (in order to make it easy for the rider to activate it), and all it has to do is cause a very light drag and that will generate friction and heat like crazy. Whyr risk it? A suitable spring is very inexpensive.

Jim G
While I dont completely disagree, I ran mine for over a year without one... there wasnt any brake dust on the caliper so clearly it was never dragging, and I never had the brake light activate on its own, but I did change the switch to a fluid activated one, not the factory mechanical one. Although like I mentioned, for the less than $20 it is for one, its a no brainer to put one on.

I have hard time believing a 300ishgram lever would have enough force to activate the rear brake enough to cause it to drag though. The hydraulic/mechanical resistance is likely higher than what that brake lever can counteract without your foot applying any force.
airhead83 and sLing like this.

Mav

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R3 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page