• 1 Post By airhead83
  • 1 Post By kylerhsm
  • 1 Post By BluebirdR3

post #1 of 8 Old 07-16-2019, 10:39 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Wavy braking?

I recently bought a 2015 R3 with 2800 miles, completely stock. I’ve noticed that when I’m coming to a stop the bike jerks back and forth. Like if there are some parts of the rotor that stick more than others.

I can’t feel any pulsations on the lever which would indicate a warped rotor. — Can that even happen on a relatively new of a bike?

I cleaned the rotors thinking maybe some oil got to it under previous owner’s care, but it still does the same thing.

I’m at a loss, any ideas? Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-16-2019, 01:56 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
The R3 has a fairly strong engine brake during deceleration. Maybe, riding in a parking lot or somewhere away from traffic, try letting off the throttle, and coasting to a stop without using either the front or rear brakes to see if you notice the same jerky motions. Next try braking ONLY with the rear brake to see if it makes a difference. By doing this, all you're trying to do is isolate the brake system, before looking further into the bike for other potential problems. Good Luck
Geddyrulz likes this.

To ride or not to ride? What a stupid question! ... Anon
post #3 of 8 Old 07-16-2019, 04:58 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Also try picking up speed, pulling the clutch and then braking with each brake individually to eliminate the engine braking @airhead83 mentioned. Considering the heat we've put into the stock discs on the track with no issues, i'd be surprised a rotor would be warped in 2800 miles of road use if not for a side bend due to a drop onto an object. If the troubleshooting aligns with one particular brake, take a close look at the brake surface for some irregularity or surface contamination (oil). If the latter, you might need new pads even after cleaning disc.

Last edited by Andysrage; 07-17-2019 at 10:45 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 07-16-2019, 11:24 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Thanks for your reply. I am positive it is to do with the front rotor. Rear brake is fine. Engine braking is behaving as it should. As soon as I’m coning to a stop with the front brake only, I get the wave effect of stop and go, if you will.

But you gave me an idea, I’m going to put it up on a front stand and inspect it while rolling the front wheel tomorrow.

Again, thanks foe the reply!
post #5 of 8 Old 07-17-2019, 07:03 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tostitos View Post
Thanks for your reply. I am positive it is to do with the front rotor. Rear brake is fine. Engine braking is behaving as it should. As soon as Iím coning to a stop with the front brake only, I get the wave effect of stop and go, if you will.
But you gave me an idea, Iím going to put it up on a front stand and inspect it while rolling the front wheel tomorrow. !
I've read very little concerning problems with the R3's rotors giving problems. How about letting us know what you find, and how you cured the problem. It may be helpful to others as well.

To ride or not to ride? What a stupid question! ... Anon
post #6 of 8 Old 07-17-2019, 11:10 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tostitos View Post
But you gave me an idea, Iím going to put it up on a front stand and inspect it while rolling the front wheel tomorrow.

Again, thanks foe the reply!

Exactly. Look for axial runout (side-to-side wobble) as well as consistent surface finish, color and patterning on the swept area on both sides.
post #7 of 8 Old 07-17-2019, 08:25 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
My MT03 660 (with 13,000km) has a really badly warped rotor on the front. Has the exact same pulsing feeling, and when I lifted the front end to check it out, not only is it slightly warped but it's also not even ROUND! There's a low spot around the circumference which is at least 2mm narrower (to the centre). I put it down to cheap parts, and yours could well have been a dud rotor just like mine. Rotor number two is fine, and since I ride the bike off-road a bit, I was thinking of just converting it so single disc anyway.
airhead83 likes this.
post #8 of 8 Old 07-18-2019, 07:02 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Why not just swap out the front rotor and see what happens? Seems like it's clearly an issue.
airhead83 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R3 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page