• 1 Post By Milc
  • 2 Post By JimGnitecki

post #1 of 10 Old 04-03-2018, 11:58 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Question Coolant Flush

Hello All,

I am going to be trying to do a coolant flush on my own and was wondering a few things. First of all, is there a "full" mark inside the radiator, or otherwise how full do I fill it? Also, is there a crush washer or anything on the drain bolt like the oil drain bolt? I just want to make sure I have everything I need before I do the work.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 04-03-2018, 02:10 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Drain bolt washer # 90430-06014

I've spent most of my money on women, motorcycles, and beer.
The rest of it I just wasted.
post #3 of 10 Old 04-03-2018, 07:34 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info on the washer, I went to the dealer and bought the part. Can you please let me know how full to fill up the radiator? Like is there a "full" marking line inside of it or something? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 04-03-2018, 07:59 PM

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddubz85 View Post
Thanks for the info on the washer, I went to the dealer and bought the part. Can you please let me know how full to fill up the radiator? Like is there a "full" marking line inside of it or something? Thanks!
Don't quote me, but I believe the service manual actually recommends to refill from the reservoir, not the radiator itself. I tried doing a quick search, but couldn't find anything right away.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 10 Old 04-03-2018, 08:08 PM Thread Starter

Thanks rodzghost. Have you done a coolant flush before? Do I really need to take off all the panels on the front right side or can I just take off that black interior panel that is directly above the radiator cap? I looked at the service manual but I still don't really have very strong technical/mechanical skills and I don't really understand the diagram which addresses removing the panels.
post #6 of 10 Old 12-14-2018, 01:28 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
I fill the radiator cap to fill the bike after a flush. fill it to the top then cap it and run the bike a little. For the R1, you have to "burp" the bike after you fill it. The R3 most likely the same. I just got the R3 and still building it so I havent done this yet but there is no harm in trying it also.

Once full, start the bike. While running just crack open the drain screw. You will hear air coming out and then once water comes out close the drain screw. Usually makes a vacuum noise until all the air is out.

Shut the bike off, let it cool a little bit then top off one more time. Take the bike for a spin, then let it cool, check level one more time. Should be filled to the top of the radiator cap.

Consider spending $30 on an aftermarket radiator cap from Spears racing. This helps keep it cool and is also made stronger. I already noticed on these R3s the stock radiator cap is make poorly.

2019 Wera West Expert #36

_____
2018 Wera West Novice #136
2018 Series A Superbike, A Superstock, HW Senior Superbike WEST CHAMPION!
post #7 of 10 Old 12-14-2018, 01:48 PM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
There's youtube tutorials for everything these days.

airhead83 likes this.

Milc
post #8 of 10 Old 12-16-2018, 06:03 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 476 Post(s)
What year is your R3? If you are within the model year and VIN range that the newest Yamaha R3 recall applies to, you get a coolant change for FREE from Yamaha, as they replace the defective rad hose they installed.

Jim G
supamike and airhead83 like this.
post #9 of 10 Old 08-11-2019, 04:33 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimGnitecki View Post
What year is your R3? If you are within the model year and VIN range that the newest Yamaha R3 recall applies to, you get a coolant change for FREE from Yamaha, as they replace the defective rad hose they installed.

Jim G
THANKS YOU!! i was wondering what was going on with my bike.
R3 2015 model, purchased in 2016 .
only had 200Km on it, and last ridden summer 2017, yet no coolant left!

Coolant is at the minimum line. Was scratching my head for days wondering what happened and i couldnt find any leak stains.. must have evaporated through the defect hose I suppose sitting idle for 1.5 years?

I am going to get the recall done this week.

I see the Coolant at the Min level indicator, do you think i should be okay to drive the bike to the dealership (12.4 kms away)?

Last edited by supamike; 08-11-2019 at 09:02 PM.
post #10 of 10 Old 12-14-2019, 08:57 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddubz85 View Post
Hello All,

I am going to be trying to do a coolant flush on my own and was wondering a few things. First of all, is there a "full" mark inside the radiator, or otherwise how full do I fill it? Also, is there a crush washer or anything on the drain bolt like the oil drain bolt? I just want to make sure I have everything I need before I do the work.

Thanks!
What year is your R3?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R3 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in