User Tag List

88Likes

post #141 of 160 Old 03-21-2017, 08:20 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kojiiro View Post
What do you mean "almost"?! At least in SoCal, the weather is perfect for year round riding. Even in the winter, by mid day it's nice and warm.
Bay area still has a few coldish days in the 30's that I prefer not to ride. Anyway, I dont street ride anymore, so I do have a winter....unless this year I decide to do CVMA ULWS

AFM #723
2018 Sponsors:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #142 of 160 Old 03-22-2017, 07:36 PM Thread Starter

Alright... its now time for race report. I'm going to take my time and do it in parts so I can be as thorough as possible.

I'd like to start off by thanking all my family, sponsors, mentors, and friends for helping me line up on the grid this year. A few names: Gregg @spear s Racing, Dave @DaveMossTuning, Eric Kondo, Rob @Hare motorsports, Alex @fast line cycles, the guru Ken Hill, and all my SpeedMachis.com friends

Thursday:
Loaded up the van with race bike and backup R3 (also pit/parts bike in case I went down). Took my time to load all the supplies, not forgetting anything this time around, even packed my second set of gear in case I went down and needed to pass tech again. Dieseled up the rig and headed on my way to Buttonwillow by 2pm. Hit a bit of traffic on 101, but not that bad. Stoppped over at Harbor Freight to get a spare set of tie downs and work gloves. Reached the track by 630pm, unloaded in the garage that I had rented. It was only me by myself in the garage for Friday practice. Went on back to the hotel in Lost hills to get a good nights rest

Friday:
Open test and tune day by BRP (buttonwillow raceway park). Arrived at the track by 7am, registered and teched early enough. My Pirelli 110F / 150Rear were a bit worn, but I thought I could get one more day out of them, so the tire warmers went on. I took first session off as it was a bit chilly. Started getting back to the rythm in second session, but was a good 5s off my best time from couple weeks back (low 2:09's during YCRS champday). I decided to go back to the basics I had learned from YCRS. Sure enough, I was in the low 2:10's in another couple sessions. By now, the tires were pretty beat up, but I had no slides or any other warnings from them.
Bridgestone is offering contingency $$ even for novice class. After reading Jesse Norton's feedback on them and following Dave Moss' advice, I decided to switch to Bridgestone 120F / 165Rear slicks. Feedback from Sequoia (Bridgestone rep) was to lower front by 3-4mm as tires were ~7mm taller than the Pirelli fronts.

Dave Moss wanted me to feel just hte difference in the tires first, so no changes to suspension or geometry. Out I went. After 4 laps, I immediately knew I had to come in for some adjustment. It would not turn in fast enough or hold the line on constant throttle, wanted to run wide every time. Dave adjusted some preload, and softenend up the front/rear. Out I went again. This time, a lot of traffic, so couldn't get a good feel, but knew we had to do more work. By this time, it was close to the end of the day as well. Dave was helping others, so couldnt get around in time to adjust my geometry. We lowered the front (now shows 43mm) by ~3mm. I waited for Saturday AFM practice to start tuning it further

Saturday Practice:
I started out again feeling the bike. AFM put me into group 1 which is the slowest group. I had a torrid time getting up to speed as I ended up into traffic at every other turn. I did get a feel for the geometry. The lower front was insufficient to my liking. It was still a bit hard on turn-in rate and pushed wide on exits. Dave raised hte rear some more, ~1 turn. Now it started getting more comfortable. Last session before lunc hwas the most horrendous time I've ever had on track. AFM NRS folks were also in track in Group 1. I could only muster 2:23's and higher in all that traffic. I was super mad. By this time, it was already lunch time. Decided to pull in and get some food to relax me.

At lunch, I ventured into the AFM tech area and somehow convinced them to get me into practice group 2 after lunch. Practice group 2 was full of the lil' 300's class bikes including a lot of the experts. Boy did I have fun in that session. I easily dropped down to 2:09's again, with less traffic and good fast guys to follow around. I got into my rythm. After ~4 laps, came into pits and based on my feedback, Dave stiffened up the front compression a bit. Now it was race time.

Saturday races: to be continued

AFM #723
2018 Sponsors:
post #143 of 160 Old 03-23-2017, 12:41 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc-Ram View Post
Next round is at Sonoma, a track I dont know well at all....so its time to learn. Luckily, the main competitor in Novice class is missing that round, so I have very low pressure on me.
Are you doing any track days to get familiar with the track? Z2 just released their schedule and one of their instructors, Mark McKinney is a friend of mine. Mark is an expert 250 racer now on an R3, I bet he would have some Sears Point knowledge for you! I've only been to the track once on the R3, but am keen on getting to Sonoma soon.

CJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #144 of 160 Old 03-23-2017, 12:47 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frisco View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc-Ram View Post
Next round is at Sonoma, a track I dont know well at all....so its time to learn. Luckily, the main competitor in Novice class is missing that round, so I have very low pressure on me.
Are you doing any track days to get familiar with the track? Z2 just released their schedule and one of their instructors, Mark McKinney is a friend of mine. Mark is an expert 250 racer now on an R3, I bet he would have some Sears Point knowledge for you! I've only been to the track once on the R3, but am keen on getting to Sonoma soon.

CJ
I know Mark. I made kinda bad pass at buttonwillow during our race, lol. Just figured he's used to riding around bad riders.

I'll work with him and Kondo at Sonoma.
Frisco likes this.
post #145 of 160 Old 03-23-2017, 01:03 AM Thread Starter

Few race pics
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0246_1490245362890.JPG
Views:	36
Size:	179.4 KB
ID:	50297   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0247_1490245379910.JPG
Views:	44
Size:	229.0 KB
ID:	50305   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0233_1490245397566.JPG
Views:	43
Size:	124.5 KB
ID:	50313  
torrid_pace and sbk1198 like this.
post #146 of 160 Old 03-23-2017, 04:10 PM Thread Starter

AFM Round 1 2017, Race report part deux

Saturday races:
Race #1 Formula 3
Warm up lap went great, felt good about bike and changes made to the setup and lined up. Start has always been an issues for me, so not much different this time either. I think I braked too early into turn 1. I got a decent start, but put my head down and caught up with folks that were slower than me. I had a plethora of issues passing though. I knew my pace was much faster than riders in front, but somehow, couldnt make a pass as I was being a pu$$y. So I made it to the end in 2nd place in my class. I managed to get my times down to my previous best trackday time with YCRS champday @2:09.351.

Bike felt good, I felt good but I needed to get better in a hurry to pass people. I would get close to rider in front, but was being too nice and not sticking a pass.

Race #3 350 Production
Same story again. Good riding, but not making any passes net me another 2nd place. I was able to put my head down and turn some decent laps. Got my PB to 2:07.007, thats ~2.3s off my previous best. Super stocked I was, but I knew I had a lot more pace in me as this felt real comfortable and no feeling of rush at all. Without traffic I knew I could get down to 2:06s or lower.

I had a lot of discussions/talks with veteran racers, to analyze why I was not being able to pass. Turns out, I was personalizing the rider in front of me instead of being able to look at them as my next target to pass. I would see the bike/race # and think "hey, thats so n so, be nice to pass them". All veterans told me this is some BS :laugh In racing, theres no personal feelings involved, only wins matter.

Also, I was stuck in line behind the guy in front of me. I wasnt planning the pass correctly, to play to my strengths. I watched videos and realized I needed to make better judgement to how to line up and make the pass stick.

Sunday races in next part.
sbk1198 likes this.

AFM #723
2018 Sponsors:
post #147 of 160 Old 03-27-2017, 06:35 PM Thread Starter

some pics from last trackday, Mar 24 @Thunderhill

AFM #723
2018 Sponsors:
post #148 of 160 Old 03-27-2017, 06:38 PM Thread Starter

Pics for AFM round1 @Buttonwillow

torrid_pace likes this.

AFM #723
2018 Sponsors:
post #149 of 160 Old 04-15-2017, 09:25 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 594 Post(s)
I just realized those aren't headlight stickers, but creepy eyes stickers lol...where did you get them at? I want some!

2007 ZZR600 (sold)
2006 CBR600 (sold)
2010 1198 (parted out across North America)
2013 CBR500R (sold)
2009 ZX6R (parted out across North America)
2015 R3 (race bike)
post #150 of 160 Old 04-15-2017, 09:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbk1198 View Post
I just realized those aren't headlight stickers, but creepy eyes stickers lol...where did you get them at? I want some!
I like the quality of these. Looks like these can even go on top of the OEM headlights though

http://www.amrracing.com/catalog/hea...-from-819.html

AFM #723
2018 Sponsors:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R3 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page