Let's talk race fairings, what do ya got, do you like them? - Yamaha R3 Forum
User Tag List

18Likes

post #1 of 74 Old 10-25-2016, 04:20 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Let's talk race fairings, what do ya got, do you like them?

Race fairings are the next thing on my list, here's what I've found:

Catalyst composites sounds the best quality of any of the ones I've seen thus far. Looks the best, lets me keep the seat stock (I just want a stock seat). $954

Spears sells a set for MUCH cheaper $584 and I get a racer discount so maybe even cheaper.

Jesse sells the same kit as Spears for slightly less $550.

I've been told the two kits that Jessi and Spears sell are crap (hot bodies). One of my friends uses it and it looks like **** and he's had a ton of issues getting it to fit right.

Last but not least is the Armor Bodies kit that STG sells. At $699 is a solid mid level price point, it looks like its not garbage and should hold up much better than the others.

What are your thoughts?

Last edited by EngineeringAnon; 10-25-2016 at 04:34 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 74 Old 10-25-2016, 06:09 PM

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Garage
I have the Catalyst Composites. They are SUPER stiff. It is very difficult to get the upper on since the bottom won't flex open enough to get it past the front forks. Instead you have to go from side to side to get it on. The CC bodywork does fit up pretty nicely though. I didn't have any problems with that. The undertail cover is a nice part too.

As for crashing, I shattered the right front of the tail section in a low side crash and parts of the upper part of the windshield area. The brake line also tore through part of the right side upper fairing during the crash when the clip on broke off.

I have crashed several times with Pit-Eck with my SV and never had this bad of damage. Granted, every crash is different. I am just a bit disappointed in how well it held up.

I have been looking at the Carbonin Bodywork. I know it is a lot more expensive than the other fairings, but I want something that is going to survive a crash better than what I currently have. I don't want to have to buy a tail section each time I crash.

I might even try out the Pit-Eck stuff since it is so cheap.

Like me on Facebook at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 74 Old 10-25-2016, 06:49 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
I have the Hotbodies kit from Jesse. IMO, it's not crap. The fit was slightly off in some parts, but that just means you drill in a spot different than what is pre-marked on the fairing. Follow Jesse's how to and it is a relatively straightforward install. I am happy with the end result. It is on straight, not cracked and took paint well.

All my prior track fairing experience was with Sharkskinz - I do wish they made a kit for the R3.

2016 Yamaha R3 (Race bike #1)
2015 Yamaha R3 (Race bike #2)
2014 Triumph Street Triple R (CA street bike)
2013 Suzuki GSXR600 (CA track bike)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 74 Old 10-26-2016, 10:44 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the comments. I'm really leaning towards armor bodies or the pit-eck stuff. Pit-eck is just so cheap I can't deny it's got my curious.

I've never been down before so I can't comment on any bodywork and how well it holds up.
post #5 of 74 Old 10-26-2016, 12:24 PM

Garage
Like @Deddie said about Sharkskinz. I would buy Sharkskinz in a heart beat if they made R3 fairings. They simply are the best. At least from my experience with them. Super flexible, super light, and crash really well. I would really like to see the Carbonin or Armor Bodies to see how they would compare.

Like me on Facebook at

post #6 of 74 Old 10-26-2016, 12:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitalview View Post
Like @Deddie said about Sharkskinz. I would buy Sharkskinz in a heart beat if they made R3 fairings. They simply are the best. At least from my experience with them. Super flexible, super light, and crash really well. I would really like to see the Carbonin or Armor Bodies to see how they would compare.

I just emailed Sharkskins to see if they had any plans to release any in the next few months. If so I'll hold off and get sharkskinz.
post #7 of 74 Old 10-26-2016, 12:50 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by EngineeringAnon View Post
I just emailed Sharkskins to see if they had any plans to release any in the next few months. If so I'll hold off and get sharkskinz.
I did that last year. They said they would get back to me but never did. Let us know what you hear.

Like me on Facebook at

post #8 of 74 Old 10-26-2016, 01:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitalview View Post
I did that last year. They said they would get back to me but never did. Let us know what you hear.

Yes, we are working on them. Should be done before the end of the year
Thanks,
Mary

BOOM!
Capitalview likes this.
post #9 of 74 Old 10-27-2016, 08:42 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Brand-wise I'm not overly picky, but I'm going to put either an Aprilia RS250 fairing on my racebike or the TZ250 fairing that I already have. Reason: Aerodynamics. The rules in the two clubs that I am most likely to race with allow any fairing for the lightweight class. I can't for the life of me understand why virtually no one takes advantage of this. Even a small aerodynamic advantage is huge in a class where the horsepower is low and modifications are limited. It's basically free horsepower.
post #10 of 74 Old 10-27-2016, 08:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
I have the Armor Bodies bodywork on my R3. They were really stiff when I first put them on but since they have been on the bike for a while now, they have become easier to move around. I really like the removable top section of the tail section, which allows access to electronics without having to take the whole tail section off.

Ive used all kinds of bodywork and it amazes me that in 2016, nobody makes a set that bolts on without having to shave fiberglass off, or make brackets for or break a sweat trying to mount the stuff.

Dave
CMRA Expert #810

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R3 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page