• 1 Post By Norton-Motorsports.com
  • 1 Post By TAoramaR3

post #1 of 5 Old 11-06-2016, 08:37 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Bobby's R3 race bike build

Warning, long post!
My name is Bobby and I am 48 yrs old. I decided to start racing for the first time in my life, with my only experience with motorcycles being 11 years of street riding and an occasional track day as a novice. In May, I took my street bike a GSX-S750 and attended Ed Bargy Racing School in Talladega Grand Prix. I graduated and looked forward to starting to race!

Now to choose a bike to race! After extensive consideration, I decide the Yamaha R3 would make the perfect race bike. I purchased the bike in July 16í. My plan was to build the bike in the off season and start in 17í Well, that was the planÖ.

As I made arrangements to pick up the bike, I had already been researching aftermarket parts online and was excited to start the build. I looked at quite a few sites but the one that stood out from the rest was yamahar3racing.com. As I looked over the site, it was filled with great information about the products that he had tried and tested himself. He not only showed the results of the test but he openly showed them for everyone else, so that they could come up with their own conclusion. His site was helpful to people like myself as well as the seasoned racer.
I initially contacted yamahar3racing.com via email to discuss my build, but it didnít take long and I was on the phone discussing the details. I had plenty of questions and Jesse answered all of them and educating me as we went. We finally came up with a build list and with the help of a shop my build began.

My experience with turning wrenches is limited, so I called, texted and emailed Jesse with all my questions. He was always quick to get back to me and made the build go quicker than I had imagined. Before I knew it I had the bike built with an opportunity to race the second to last race of the season at Road Atlanta (GA) that would not only get me on the track, but would qualify me to race in the Nationals.
I had the bike built, but no paint so I ran a primered set of plastic and my provisional novice shirt that weekend. I practiced for one day, had practice the next morning and then my first race. I finished first in Novice! My next race was a solo 16 and I got third place! The next day, I practiced again in the morning and my last race I finished fourth. Needless to say it was a great weekend!! The bike performed great, my times dropped significantly over the three days and I felt confidence in the bike.

I got back and started prepping for the next race weekend. With the help of the shop, we got the painted plastics installed and went over everything so I was ready to go. I received the invitation for the Finals in the mail and I went ahead and preregistered for the weekend. I would be racing at Barber Motorsports Park (AL), a place that is a beautiful to look at and race at! I would also meet Jesse for the first time face to face.

My weekend would consist of practice on Thursday and Friday, with races on Saturday and Sunday. Sundays race was the R3 cup. I finally met Jesse and he helped me get some loose ends taken care of before I would race. After my two days of practice, it was time to race on Saturday. I needed more seat time so I had registered to race Formula 3/ Clubman and Lightweight twins SS. I finished 15 out of 26 in Formula 3/ Clubman and 21 out of 23 in the Lightweight twins SS. On Sunday, I raced the R3 cup and finished 14 out of 16 and 5th in Novice. It was an amazing weekend and the track was as much fun as I had anticipated. I really owe Jesse and yamahar3racing a lot of credit. He and his company shortened my learning curve and created the perfect environment for me to focus on riding and not worrying about the bike!

https://goo.gl/photos/coGNHbFWCwoTpHsk6

Last edited by wkboardr; 11-08-2016 at 10:26 AM. Reason: pics
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 11-07-2016, 05:52 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Story is great and I think your bike looks slick. Good luck.
wkboardr likes this.

Last edited by klink; 11-07-2016 at 05:55 PM.
post #3 of 5 Old 11-07-2016, 10:34 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to R0b0tN1nja_BKNY Send a message via Yahoo to R0b0tN1nja_BKNY Send a message via Skype™ to R0b0tN1nja_BKNY
Quote:
Originally Posted by klink View Post
Story is great and I think your bike looks slick. Good luck.
Second that. Yeah, @jbluetooth Jesse is great even if he has funny colored hair. Your paint job is very YamahaR3Racing.com-esque. Good luck racing!
wkboardr likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 11-07-2016, 11:00 PM
r3-forums.com Vendor

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
I'm still envious of your bike... that came out SOOOOO awesome
I'm thrilled to be a part of your adventure Bobby, and it was awesome meeting you and racing with you at Barber, what a blast that track is!
wkboardr likes this.

Cheers,
Jesse

Follow my build and racing at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The most complete resource for information and race parts for the Yamaha R3 and Ninja 400.

post #5 of 5 Old 11-09-2016, 04:00 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Super nice looking build! You did a great job on that one!
wkboardr likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R3 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page