Yamaha R3 Forum

Yamaha R3 Forum (https://www.r3-forums.com/forum/)
-   Yamaha R3 Track Discussions (https://www.r3-forums.com/forum/777-yamaha-r3-track-discussions/)
-   -   ABS race fairings (https://www.r3-forums.com/forum/777-yamaha-r3-track-discussions/142793-abs-race-fairings.html)

Romulu87 03-22-2018 01:24 PM

ABS race fairings

Does anyone have experience with ABS race fairings? I am looking to buy fairings soon and have noticed there isn't any real reviews on them. I am on the fence on which fairings to commit to.

MotoVirg 03-22-2018 01:49 PM

I have the CRC fairings
https://tstindustries.com/CRC-Race-F...plete-Set.html

its fiberglass and kevlar

sbk1198 03-22-2018 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Romulu87 (Post 648505)
Does anyone have experience with ABS race fairings? I am looking to buy fairings soon and have noticed there isn't any real reviews on them. I am on the fence on which fairings to commit to.

ABS is basically what the OEM fairings are made of. Typically what I've seen and heard about ABS race fairings is that they look good, generally easy to fit on (with the exception of some of the chinese ebay ones which are hit or miss), but they crack very easily just like OEM ones do in the case of a crash. That is why the majority of racers and track day riders use the more traditional fiberglass fairings. They are a lot more flexible and don't break as easily.

Romulu87 03-22-2018 10:20 PM

This was in the description on the website. I definitely recognize the importance of fiberglass parts

ABS Motorcycle Fairings® fiberglass parts with Kevlar reinforced areas. Outside finish made with white Gel-Coat. These parts will require drilling and test fitting before painting. Also, may require sanding and small repairs. Installation should be performed by an experienced technician.

https://www.absfairings.com/track-fa...F-R3-2015-2017

again I am not opposed to going another route. just wanted to see if anyone has used them before

sbk1198 03-22-2018 11:36 PM

Ohhhhhh....there was definitely some confusion here lol In this case ABS is the brand! lol...I was thinking you're talking about ABS as in the material (Acrylonitrile butadiene styrene)! That's what a lot of plastic parts including fairings are made out of on most sport bikes. These guys really chose a bad name for their company. Gonna get a lot of people confused.

So never mind, it looks like they're typical race fairings, fiberglass with reinforced carbon, just like mine. A bit more than what I paid for my MotoXP Ricambi, but still a decent price for a full set. And judging by their phone number, they're in Virginia, just west of where I live! I would give them a shot even though I've never heard of them before. Thanks for the post...when I'll be in need of a new set, I may just go visit them :)

MotoVirg 03-23-2018 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbk1198 (Post 648577)
Ohhhhhh....there was definitely some confusion here lol In this case ABS is the brand! lol...I was thinking you're talking about ABS as in the material (Acrylonitrile butadiene styrene)! That's what a lot of plastic parts including fairings are made out of on most sport bikes. These guys really chose a bad name for their company. Gonna get a lot of people confused.

So never mind, it looks like they're typical race fairings, fiberglass with reinforced carbon, just like mine. A bit more than what I paid for my MotoXP Ricambi, but still a decent price for a full set. And judging by their phone number, they're in Virginia, just west of where I live! I would give them a shot even though I've never heard of them before. Thanks for the post...when I'll be in need of a new set, I may just go visit them :)

Those abs fairings look like copies off the molds for carbonin originals..

Should be fine...

But if u have the budget get carbonin

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

pgeldz 04-17-2018 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MotoVirg (Post 648745)
Those abs fairings look like copies off the molds for carbonin originals..

Should be fine...

But if u have the budget get carbonin

They are copies from what Iv'e heard. Except they don't fit nearly as good, and not nearly as flexable. Carbonin might be a little more, but what you get for the extra $$$ is ultra light, ultra flexible fairings with pre installed Dzus fasteners that fit and take 10 min to install. No drilling, no cuting, nadda. You'd pay more in labor to install other farings over the small extra cost of the Carbonin.

Just sayin' :)

- Paulie

MotoVirg 04-17-2018 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pgeldz (Post 655330)
They are copies from what Iv'e heard. Except they don't fit nearly as good, and not nearly as flexable. Carbonin might be a little more, but what you get for the extra $$$ is ultra light, ultra flexible fairings with pre installed Dzus fasteners that fit and take 10 min to install. No drilling, no cuting, nadda. You'd pay more in labor to install other farings over the small extra cost of the Carbonin.

Just sayin' :)

- Paulie

Agreed. If u are gonna go all the way to $600 just go the rest of the way for. Carbonin.

Peanut_EOD 11-07-2018 10:41 PM

I have always used Sharkskinz. They’re expensive as ****, but I have never been disappointed with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Matt-J2 11-16-2018 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MotoVirg (Post 655346)
Agreed. If u are gonna go all the way to $600 just go the rest of the way for. Carbonin.

Doesn't Carbonin run roughly double that though? That's quite a bit different than an extra $100 or something to make the jump.