• 1 Post By badgerdog
  • 1 Post By VULGR
  • 2 Post By Doc-Ram

post #1 of 10 Old 04-25-2018, 05:34 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
R3 with Armour Bodies

Just finished my first track day of the season with the new bodywork on my R3. It's Armour Bodies Supersport kit which I had profe$$ionaly painted. Cut the vinyl myself, so that's a work in progress. Discovered late in the process that the belly pan would require major modification to clear the stock catalytic converter, so that stayed off for now. I'm planning on running MotoGladiator Superstock class which disallows intake mods, so unless I can find a muffler/exhaust that wouldn't require EFI retuning, I'll keep it like this for a while. Besides, I don't mind a quiet bike.

Note: On track pic was taken by the forum's own ApexProPhoto
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1247.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	303.0 KB
ID:	62282   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1249.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	188.4 KB
ID:	62290   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1251.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	147.0 KB
ID:	62298   Click image for larger version

Name:	On Track.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	120.0 KB
ID:	62306  
sbk1198 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 04-25-2018, 08:11 PM

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Lookin' Great!
post #3 of 10 Old 04-26-2018, 04:59 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Garage
One of our national race series (R3 Cup) didnít allow pcv/Bazzaz etc. We werenít getting any power gains but the weight reduction was worth while and the bikes lasted like this for 2years without anyone complaining of engine damage (change in rules this year now allows them). There was more power with the Akrapovic when the baffle was kept in (untuned)
badgerdog likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 04-26-2018, 04:26 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VULGR View Post
One of our national race series (R3 Cup) didnít allow pcv/Bazzaz etc. We werenít getting any power gains but the weight reduction was worth while and the bikes lasted like this for 2years without anyone complaining of engine damage (change in rules this year now allows them). There was more power with the Akrapovic when the baffle was kept in (untuned)
Agree. Should use full exhaust (and ECU flash maybe?), without a piggyback system. Weight savings alone are great result for going full exhaust.

Also agree with keeping baffles in for exhaust cans. No backpressure makes small bikes less power (with baffles removed), was true even for Ninja 250/300's
VULGR and badgerdog like this.

AFM #723
2018 Sponsors:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 10 Old 04-27-2018, 08:45 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the input guys. Just checked on a couple of the Akrapovic full systems and they do mention "Fuel remapping not required". Hadn't noticed that before. They also list power gains, so I guess we'll see. The Racing Exhaust shows a gain of 3.3 HP and a loss of 11 lbs. So for $750 that's $250 a horsepower, which really isn't all that bad.

Thanks for helping me spend money!
post #6 of 10 Old 04-27-2018, 10:40 PM

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
This dude's selling an Akra kit for a decent price; it's the same one I have on my bike and I have no complaints.

https://www.r3-forums.com/forum/737-y...st-system.html
post #7 of 10 Old 04-28-2018, 06:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_tchap View Post
This dude's selling an Akra kit for a decent price; it's the same one I have on my bike and I have no complaints.

https://www.r3-forums.com/forum/737-y...st-system.html
Thanks for the heads up, but I'm close to pulling the trigger on a Graves Cat Eliminator system. Just wast to make sure I know what needs to happen when you eliminate the O2 sensor. For the class I'm planning on racing in, ECU flash is not an option.

Last edited by badgerdog; 04-28-2018 at 06:54 PM. Reason: Typo
post #8 of 10 Old 04-29-2018, 09:18 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgerdog View Post
Thanks for the heads up, but I'm close to pulling the trigger on a Graves Cat Eliminator system. Just wast to make sure I know what needs to happen when you eliminate the O2 sensor. For the class I'm planning on racing in, ECU flash is not an option.
If you flash the ECU when you install the Graves cat eliminator it will run even better.
Graves Racing Services offers R3 mail in flashes now

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
post #9 of 10 Old 04-29-2018, 09:20 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbsteinnewyork View Post
If you flash the ECU when you install the Graves cat eliminator it will run even better.
Graves Racing Services offers R3 mail in flashes now

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

He canít flash the ECU due to his racing orgs rules. Similar rule here
post #10 of 10 Old 04-29-2018, 04:26 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, what VULGR said. I want to stay in Superstock class. Flashing the ECU would put me into their 300 Superbike class, which would get even more rediculously expensive. In the meantime, I can divert some of those funds towards training. And track days. And food.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R3 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page