4Likes

post #1 of 14 Old 05-08-2018, 11:28 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Crc, race fairings crash aftermath

60 mile an hour crash

Panic brake enoed

went over the handlebars bike flipped in the air from what I can see on the video

it look like the bike flipped about 3 times

this is the aftermath of the CRC race fairings

when I bought them the fairings were about $749 I think the fairings are now over $1,000

at that price I don't know if the fairings are worth it

because the fit is not that great

I get a sense that the CRC fairings are knockoffs of the carbonin fairings which are a different material but they have the best Superbike tail ergonomics out of the race fairings for the Yamaha R3

now I know the CRC and carbonin fairings are not legal for motoamerica

anybody who has gone through a lot of crashes with race fairings

tell me that the bike flipped in the air very few race bearings are going to survive that

then I get it

but yeah there were a lot of cracks in the fiberglass

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 05-08-2018, 11:47 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Once you flip a bike end over end like that I don't think it really matters what brand of fairing you have. lowsides are the greatest indicator of bodywork quality. To be honest, the bodywork should be the least of your concerns. The frame/forks/swingarm on these bikes are like jello and they like to bend and twist really easy. I'd get all that checked out first.
MotoVirg and sbk1198 like this.

CVMA #60
Pirelli - Trackdaz - Shoei - Mithos - SIDI
post #3 of 14 Old 05-08-2018, 11:59 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 594 Post(s)
Not surprised by that. First off, the bike flipped over. Second, they're CRC fairings. I've heard from several others who used CRC even on other bikes that their biggest complain is their too rigid and brittle. So in a crash, they're more likely to crack and break.

Why is Carbonin illegal for MotoAmerica?? Now that I think of it, when I looked at all the R3s at VIR, I mostly saw Sharkskinz and what I assume was Armor Bodies on them. I would think if Sharkskinz are legal, than so should Carbonin. IMO the Carbonin bodywork is probably the best for the R3...although I do like my MotoXP Ricambi, and worth it for being less than $600 for a full set.
pgeldz likes this.

2007 ZZR600 (sold)
2006 CBR600 (sold)
2010 1198 (parted out across North America)
2013 CBR500R (sold)
2009 ZX6R (parted out across North America)
2015 R3 (race bike)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 05-08-2018, 12:03 PM

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbk1198 View Post
IMO the Carbonin bodywork is probably the best for the R3...although I do like my MotoXP Ricambi, and worth it for being less than $600 for a full set.
Just can't spend $1100 on bodywork... lol

Hotbodies is garbage but the 50% off once a year thing they do can't be beat.

CVMA #60
Pirelli - Trackdaz - Shoei - Mithos - SIDI
post #5 of 14 Old 05-08-2018, 01:09 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 594 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by research monkey View Post
Just can't spend $1100 on bodywork... lol

Hotbodies is garbage but the 50% off once a year thing they do can't be beat.
Yep, exactly. I used Hotbodies on other bikes before but I just can't stand the tank cover/seat piece design they have on the R3. I prefer to have a superbike tail style. If I ever have to get another set of bodywork for the R3 I'll probably be going with Armor Bodies.

2007 ZZR600 (sold)
2006 CBR600 (sold)
2010 1198 (parted out across North America)
2013 CBR500R (sold)
2009 ZX6R (parted out across North America)
2015 R3 (race bike)
post #6 of 14 Old 05-08-2018, 01:12 PM Thread Starter

I think homologation rules for motoamerica doesn't allow the superbike tail.

The superbike tail setup its really the nicest , in terms of getting your butt back as far as possible.
totally not do able with the cheapo hot bodies set.

I have a backup set for CRC fairings, so I will go with that as my primary,

then try to fiberglass and bondo fix the busted up set.

And I will try to avoid crashes where I grab a handful of brake and flip it 3 times
post #7 of 14 Old 05-09-2018, 01:07 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
I've haven't heard Carbonin isn't legal for MotoAmerica. Just read the rule book and didn't see anything to that effect either.

My teammate highsided his bike twice and the Carbonin Bodywork held up extremely well, just sayin'.

- Paul
post #8 of 14 Old 05-09-2018, 01:32 PM Thread Starter

Depending on how my day job goes, I am gonna invest in a carbonin set for my A bike...
post #9 of 14 Old 05-09-2018, 08:38 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
If you don't plan or aren't eligible for Moto America junior cup, why worry about those rules? Just get fairings that are allowed/used in your club racing....

I'm supported by WoodCraft/Armor Bodies....I've owned a set since 2008 (multiple R6 and now R3). They have crashed really well. Never had ot repair my R6 sets (slower speed low sides), and R3 (90mph low sides). Fairings didnt break, some cracks from crashing, but nothing structurally impacted. 2 Crashes on hte R3 set and still going strong.

I do wish I had the Superbike tail and I like the elevated seat position on the R3. I debated the Carbonin set, but sponsorship would not allow it....maybe someday Carbonin decides to sponsor me, lol
MotoVirg likes this.

AFM #723
2018 Sponsors:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 14 Old 05-09-2018, 09:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc-Ram View Post
If you don't plan or aren't eligible for Moto America junior cup, why worry about those rules? Just get fairings that are allowed/used in your club racing....

I'm supported by WoodCraft/Armor Bodies....I've owned a set since 2008 (multiple R6 and now R3). They have crashed really well. Never had ot repair my R6 sets (slower speed low sides), and R3 (90mph low sides). Fairings didnt break, some cracks from crashing, but nothing structurally impacted. 2 Crashes on hte R3 set and still going strong.

I do wish I had the Superbike tail and I like the elevated seat position on the R3. I debated the Carbonin set, but sponsorship would not allow it....maybe someday Carbonin decides to sponsor me, lol
I have a full backup set of crc fairings I bought off a motoamerica rider who had a used set for $600.

I will never be racing in motoamerica. So you are right about that!

I really love the raised tail and would probably be unhappy on anything else.

I bought a salvaged r3 earlier this winter to setup as my b bike. And rental bike to try and make some money renting to others at njmp. I will have to figure out if I can repair this bodywork and make it work on the b bike

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R3 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page