How Much Street Riding Experience Should I have Before Attending a Track Day? - Page 2 - Yamaha R3 Forum
User Tag List

3Likes

post #11 of 14 Old 03-31-2019, 09:19 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
I did my first track day after only riding a a month or two. I think I passed the break in miles but don't quote me on that. Different groups are different of course, but Novice groups around here tend to be at least somewhat structured, but either way go ahead and speak up about it being your first time and that you haven't been riding long. They might even ask the group for that info, anyway!

So that group wasn't super structured, but a Control Rider(sometimes called coaches, safety riders, etc) would find me on track and show me lines and such, then chat with me afterward once he found out it was my first go.

The org I usually ride with has a very structured novice group that is quite a bit of hand holding, especially the first sessions of the day, but it's pretty helpful if you're new. Can get a bit old once you've been riding with them for a while, but that's just more incentive to hone your skills and move up a group.

Another option is to do something more like a class event. I did a Sportbike 101 class and it was very structured and had all kinds of people with different experience and track desires. I'd always recommend this sort of thing for everyone, since it also tends to mean you get 1-3 people per coach so there's a lot more actual coaching with the drills.

As someone else mentioned, check out what gear and bike prep each org requires and get that in order, then pick one and go!
airhead83 likes this.

This is my signature. Woo.
Hit me up on Instagram, look at my terrible pics: motomatt_r3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 14 Old 04-04-2019, 02:16 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay86 View Post
Maybe I'm looking at this the wrong way, but I see track events as a way to hone my riding abilities in a relatively safe environment. Of course, the plan would be novice classes and my goal wouldn't be to set fast laps, rather my concern is just gaining experience and getting better. Everything I learn there will make me a better and safer street rider. Am I looking at this the wrong way though?

Ultimately the bulk, if not all of my riding would eventually be at the track at some point.

For whatever it's worth I do have track experience in my car.
Jay86, will you be at NCBike this weekend with EvolveGT? If so, a couple of us from the board should be there and can help you with who's who and what's where if you'd like.

Let me know here or via PM and we can make arrangements to connect at the track.
post #13 of 14 Old 04-24-2019, 12:30 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
If you are comfortable at the controls, you will be fine at the track. Most TD organizations have control riders for beginner groups. Usually round robin with classes in between in the morning. Afternoon is less restricted, and usually does not allow inside passing in the corners. Trust me, you will learn more in one track day than in a year at the track. Don't delay.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 14 Old 04-24-2019, 12:32 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiayeman View Post
If you are comfortable at the controls, you will be fine at the track. Most TD organizations have control riders for beginner groups. Usually round robin with classes in between in the morning. Afternoon is less restricted, and usually does not allow inside passing in the corners. Trust me, you will learn more in one track day than in a year at the track. Don't delay.

Make that....." Trust me, you will learn more in one track day than in a year on the street."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R3 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page