How Much Street Riding Experience Should I have Before Attending a Track Day? - Yamaha R3 Forum
User Tag List

3Likes

post #1 of 14 Old 03-20-2019, 07:23 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
How Much Street Riding Experience Should I have Before Attending a Track Day?

Maybe I'm looking at this the wrong way, but I see track events as a way to hone my riding abilities in a relatively safe environment. Of course, the plan would be novice classes and my goal wouldn't be to set fast laps, rather my concern is just gaining experience and getting better. Everything I learn there will make me a better and safer street rider. Am I looking at this the wrong way though?

Ultimately the bulk, if not all of my riding would eventually be at the track at some point.

For whatever it's worth I do have track experience in my car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 03-20-2019, 07:35 PM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
If you feel comfortable going full throttle up to 100mph, can operate your clutch and shifter smoothly, and can assess how much you need to slow down to make turns you'll be fine. First few sessions in C group everyone is still feeling out the track anyways so you'll just pick up speed as the day goes on. I say start gearing up now if you haven't already so the expenses don't hit you all at once.
airhead83 likes this.

Milc
post #3 of 14 Old 03-20-2019, 09:24 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Honestly, very little experience. Most track days have skill level groups and the lowest skill level group are all pretty new and typically aren't pushing it at all. As long as you know how to ride a bike, I'd say go.

-Ryan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 03-21-2019, 05:17 PM Thread Starter

I can operate everything smoothly, but I'm not rev matching downshifts yet.

To start, I was expecting something at this pace:

[YT]EJQaKf3txVg[/YT]

Is that typical pace for all novice level classes?

Thanks.
post #5 of 14 Old 03-21-2019, 05:18 PM Thread Starter

youtube.com/watch?v=EJQaKf3txVg
post #6 of 14 Old 03-21-2019, 11:17 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
That is an excellent course, and if you have the opportunity to do it, I strongly encourage it.

As for riding experience before doing that, you should be able to operate the motorcycle without having to explicitly think about it - you have to be past the "Which lever does the brake" and "what does a clutch do" phase. Being able to rev-match downshifts is a would-be-nice, but not essential yet.
post #7 of 14 Old 03-22-2019, 12:30 AM

Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFaster View Post
That is an excellent course, and if you have the opportunity to do it, I strongly encourage it.

As for riding experience before doing that, you should be able to operate the motorcycle without having to explicitly think about it - you have to be past the "Which lever does the brake" and "what does a clutch do" phase. Being able to rev-match downshifts is a would-be-nice, but not essential yet.
Rev-match downshifting isn't really necessary on bikes. Wet clutch handles the abuse way better than a car would but at the end of the day it's all rider preference. I do it when I'm gradually slowing down on the streets but when I'm hard on the brakes I just let my clutch sort out the engine speed. Both work good.

Milc
post #8 of 14 Old 03-22-2019, 02:22 AM Thread Starter

Awesome, I'm definitely going to signup then. I'm comfortable in being able to handle the bike safely and smoothly, I'm just worried about my pace being too slow and holding other riders up or the class expecting too much too soon. The way California Super Bike School structures their novice classes sounds perfect and I'm hoping I can find a similar structure.

Unfortunately I don't have them in my area though.

I have evolvegt.com and n2td.org if anyone is familiar with those guys.
post #9 of 14 Old 03-22-2019, 11:22 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay86 View Post
Awesome, I'm definitely going to signup then. I'm comfortable in being able to handle the bike safely and smoothly, I'm just worried about my pace being too slow and holding other riders up or the class expecting too much too soon.
IMO, if you're comfortable on the bike and with passing and being passed, you'll be fine and have a blast. Every first timer worries that they'll be too slow but there's always someone faster and always someone slower. Don't be shy about talking to the trackday providers to show you some lines, they are there to help. You'll also wonder why you didn't do it sooner.
Kojiiro likes this.

Do you have to leave so soon? I was just about to poison the tea.
post #10 of 14 Old 03-31-2019, 08:29 AM

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 962 Post(s)
The only shitty thing about track days is that it’s more addicting than buying parts. I think I did 19 track days from April 2017 until June 2018. Then I did a 7 month deployment and did 4 trackdays after getting back in the middle of winter in less than a month lol. It’s addicting.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R3 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page