R3 Fairing - Won't mount properly - Yamaha R3 Forum
User Tag List

post #1 of 9 Old 06-01-2018, 07:10 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
R3 Fairing - Won't mount properly

Hello guys,

I recently went to my local Yamaha workshop for my 6000 km service. One of the dealers noticed that I had a color damage on my right fairing. He insisted that I would take it with the workshop team which I did. They sent a complaint and I received a new right fairing for my R3. Once I came home, I wanted to put the new fairing on. I managed to remove the damaged right fairing but when I tried to mount the new one, it just won't come on which really annoys me. When I was installing my scorpion full system, I somehow managed to mount it just fine but this on is weird. It is EXACTLY the same fairing, nothing special there. However, am I doing it incorrectly? Maybe I am sliding the pins inproperly or something.

Does anybody know how you are SUPPOSED to slide in/mount a R3 fairing on the bike?

Attached a screenshot showing the pins I am talking about.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Image.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	475.3 KB
ID:	63562  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-03-2018, 10:29 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Not sure if it will help, but there's another thread running today that may help give suggestions. Check out "Jim Gnitecki" thread starter "Video showing removal of bodywork pieces". Good Luck.

To ride or not to ride? What a stupid question! ... Anon
post #3 of 9 Old 06-03-2018, 06:38 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Yes Marwix, you are not alone. The fairing pieces on this model are an intricate jigsaw puzzle of surprises that the service manual does a really poor job of clarifying. I just want to take my side bottom fairings off to have a look at the engine, and I'm afraid to do so without first finding out the right, damge-free way to take them off AND to then put them back on!

And by the way, I have been riding bikes for over 50 years and have owned over 40 of them, so don't feel like it's because you are inexperienced. Experience is no help here - this darn jigsaw puzzle is unnecessarily complicated and fragile.

Jim G
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 06-04-2018, 07:37 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
you have to press them fairly hard on those 3 places (the ones with the arrow on your picture) then slide them rearward. The first 2 are rather easy, but the ones on the tip of the headlights are tough.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 9 Old 06-05-2018, 08:22 AM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Garage
Let TST walk you through the fairing installation

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 9 Old 06-05-2018, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AesonVirus View Post
Let TST walk you through the fairing installation

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-DgVw-TXcs
YES!! THIS is what I was looking for. Thank-you, AesonVirus.

As you can clearly see in the video, there are numerous fragile tabs and clips to be aware of and to protect, and there are also multiple types and differing lengths of fasteners that you don't want to replace into the wrong holes.

I plan to take my laptop with me when I do this the first few times so that I can play the video to guide me one step at a time until I can learn and remember the sequence and fasteners.

One thing I'd like to do though is not just copy the video's URL to my laptop, and play it in the browser, but rather to copy the video itself to my laptop so that I always have it available even if working in a location withOUT a wifi connection. How do I do that?

Jim G
post #7 of 9 Old 06-05-2018, 11:15 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimGnitecki View Post
YES!! THIS is what I was looking for. Thank-you, AesonVirus.

As you can clearly see in the video, there are numerous fragile tabs and clips to be aware of and to protect, and there are also multiple types and differing lengths of fasteners that you don't want to replace into the wrong holes.

I plan to take my laptop with me when I do this the first few times so that I can play the video to guide me one step at a time until I can learn and remember the sequence and fasteners.

One thing I'd like to do though is not just copy the video's URL to my laptop, and play it in the browser, but rather to copy the video itself to my laptop so that I always have it available even if working in a location withOUT a wifi connection. How do I do that?

Jim G
I just recently had the same exact issue replacing the fairings on my bike. The front right side near the headlight would go in, but when i popped the center plastic pin into the grommet on the side of the frame, the front would pop back out. I realized that my headlight trim was a little damaged where the pins go in and I guess that was preventing it from staying in place. I replaced the headlight trim from a part off Partzilla, it was only like $18, and I was able to get the fairing installed easily without any issues. Definitely make sure the headlight housing isn't damaged, that may be your problem.
post #8 of 9 Old 06-05-2018, 05:38 PM

Follow the instructions here:

https://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch001002.htm

to download the TST video on fairing removal to your computer for easy, permanent access.

Jim G
post #9 of 9 Old 06-06-2018, 06:30 PM Thread Starter

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
I managed to fix it guys.

Took some time but I got it right on place.

Thanks everyone!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Yamaha R3 Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page