1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI

looking for better front braking, more progressive. and better stop
couple questions.

1. Is it a bolt on mod taking an 06-16 R6r front master cylinder?
2. Do I need a new lever just for the brake side?
3. While i am doing this mod, should I change the caliper also?
4. If i change the caliper, do I need to change the rotor too?
5. Suggestions on brake pads ?

I already have ss brake lines.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
If you put that MC on, it's going to be too big, especially for the stock caliper. That configuration is set up for a dual caliper, 4piston set up I believe. Even if you used the R6 caliper, it may still be a bit too big, and have a very stiff feel to it. There are a few threads here, where some of us modded out bike to use an R6 caliper and various different Master cylinders. Some questions for you:

Are you sure you have sufficiently bedded in the pads/rotor? I would guess so since you have been tracking it a lot.

Have you considered trying just brake pads first? Some of the forum regular track junkies and racers have stayed with stock calipers due to their club rules but upgraded pads and have had good results. I've mentioned it before and will again that there is a pic of one of the racers doing a stoppie on the stock brake set up.

If you are dead set on upgrading the brakes, there is always the R6 caliper mod. This requires you make a mounting bracket. I found the best master cylinder with this set up for cheap is a N650 or other master from a bike with dual caliper, 2 piston set up.

You could also just buy a Brembo mounting kit, Brembo 30/34 caliper, SS line and RCS15 and be happy with that. Thats what a few including myself run. Looking back, this may be overkill, but I definitely like the stopping power, especially since my zx6r had some amazing brakes, and I got used to the hard feeling of that set up, and the stopping power it came with.

If you are interested in an upgraded caliper but don't want to spend big bucks on Brembo, and just know you won't eventually want to go the Brembo route, I'll sell you my R6 brake set up for cheap. I'll have to go in the storage and make sure I have all my parts still but I'm pretty sure it's all there.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
HI

looking for better front braking, more progressive. and better stop
couple questions.

1. Is it a bolt on mod taking an 06-16 R6r front master cylinder?
2. Do I need a new lever just for the brake side?
3. While i am doing this mod, should I change the caliper also?
4. If i change the caliper, do I need to change the rotor too?
5. Suggestions on brake pads ?

I already have ss brake lines.

Thanks.
Oh and to answer:

1. Yes you can bolt on directly. It's oversized though.

2. No need for new lever.

3. I would change the caliper if I was dead set on this master cylinder. This cylinder is oversized even for a single caliper. ( if this is the same 4 piston/ dual caliper set up that I think it is)

4. If you use that R6 caliper, it will be oversized by 2mm. Won't hurt.

5. Vesrah pads. Try that stock even. They bite hard.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts