Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If money is no object or if you were gifted a 1 piece race suit of your choosing, would it be overkill for street and twisty riding on the R3? Personally I love the skin I was born in and don't want to leave it on the road.
I tried to make a poll, but don't know how. Forgive me if this has been asked before.

·
Registered
856 Posts
When you ride in one you'll never go back, such freedom to move.
without it you'll feel naked and unprotected.
With it you are power ranger :)
Stick to $800-1400 suits (Unless you are odd size and none fit) and will last many years
Berik, Dainese, AStars, Spidi for example are reputable brands in that price range.

Revzilla are good for video reviews and comparisons, they have the advantage of access to the best brands and the latest updates.
Read the customer reviews and Q&A.

Buy it tight (should not be able to stand in it when new, they loosen up with use and leather conditioner.

Get perforated, and lots of stretch panels.

Research the Sh^t out of them.
I love my Astars ATEM, wasn't cheap, and had to get the lining sewn in to get rid of the annoying Velcro on the cuffs and ankes, but I knew that from research.
The Motegi was good value but for the fuller figure gent.
Same as helmets, the fit varies between models.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Research the Sh^t out of them.
I love my Astars ATEM, wasn't cheap, and had to get the lining sewn in to get rid of the annoying Velcro on the cuffs and ankes, but I knew that from research.
I also have an Astars ATEM and are annoyed constantly by the velcro everytime I use it. I'm going to have to get hte lining sewn in. Thanks for the tip!

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Off today waiting on my Dainese perf suit and Spidi XP5 S. Will be track day as well as twisty. Thanks for the replies all!

·
Registered
271 Posts
One option is pilot leathers. Claudio corti wears them in moto America. Ben spies also wore them when it was ama.

When i lived down the road from them, they were always really cool and had great customer service. I sent my dainese jacket in for repair, and the repair looks like it did from the factory.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Admin, please move to Gear and Apparel. I did not look before posting. Apologies. Well, I got my suit and boots! Euro50 since I'm 5'5 husky build, my mom used to say healthy. So I can zip it up, touch toes, breathe but to stand straight up, it's fighting me. Now I know what aggressive suit means. Legs loose, hips loose. Will it break in ok? I went white red black to match my white red R3. Here's some pics and if I need to loose a few say so. Criticism is a great motivator. Ty.

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
Theres a time and place for everything. I prefer to ride in regular cloths unless I'm at the track. There are many who like to wear full race gear even if there going to Starbucks and thats fine too.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Admin, please move to Gear and Apparel. I did not look before posting. Apologies. Well, I got my suit and boots! Euro50 since I'm 5'5 husky build, my mom used to say healthy. So I can zip it up, touch toes, breathe but to stand straight up, it's fighting me. Now I know what aggressive suit means. Legs loose, hips loose. Will it break in ok? I went white red black to match my white red R3. Here's some pics and if I need to loose a few say so. Criticism is a great motivator. Ty.
most one piece suit made for the riding position rather than walking/stand up right. Do you feel comfortable on riding position or it's still fighting you?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
most one piece suit made for the riding position rather than walking/stand up right. Do you feel comfortable on riding position or it's still fighting you?
riding position feels great. walking with a slight hunched over or forward curl, like a prawn/shrimp. not super curled.

·
Registered
227 Posts
riding position feels great. walking with a slight hunched over or forward curl, like a prawn/shrimp. not super curled.
then youre good. I wouldn't change it unless you plan on wearing it all day at work etc
unzip it down to waist with a tee inside if you plan on walking around for a long time I guess

·
Registered
130 Posts
Seeing that I rack up most of my km on weekend day trips which involve good, fun roads, I don't regret at all that I have just a 1-piece. I don't think its excess at all and it is all-day comfortable. Then again, it doesn't get as hot here as it does in eastern NC but nonethless heat is a non-issue......as long as you're moving. (cheers from Western NC by the way !)

That said, I do have a compression light armour jacket, CE level 1 rated, that I dual-use with my DH MTB for day-to-day runs around town and occasionally to work. I previously had this anyway though, didn't buy it for the motorcycling.

·
Registered
810 Posts
I also have an Astars ATEM and are annoyed constantly by the velcro everytime I use it. I'm going to have to get hte lining sewn in. Thanks for the tip!
Wear long sleeve Under Armor, or something similar. You shouldn't have a problem with the Velcro then. My RS Taichi have the same thing. Never have a problem unless I have short sleeves on.

Also, it is Velcro so you can take the lining out and wash it. I would hate to not be able to take my liner out after a race weekend. It would reek after a couple weeks if I couldn't wash it.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have a two piece leather suit made by AGV that I wear on any spirited or longer rides.
I personally don't think a one piece is overkill, just maybe not as practical as a two piece for real world street riding.
Think about going to the bathroom. One piece zippers don't go down far enough.
You might get some funny looks too. I do in my two piece.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I am a pretty ATGATT guy, I push it hard on my friends who ride and, thankfully, my whole house shares that opinion as well.

That being said, you won't catch me dead in my one piece out on the streets. I don't ride aggressively enough for it to ever be a need, like some guys use it for. If I am on the street I am only commuting or going to a bike night or something. I have a full collection of street bike gear that is lightweight, comes off easily, and doesn't make me look like I am about to morph into a Power Ranger.

Similarly, I will never look down on anyone for dressing like that on the street, I just can't justify it myself.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I'd personally go with a Dainese two piece. They zip together, which is required for a 2-piece on a track, plus you have the freedom to not wear one or the other if you don't want to.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Wear long sleeve Under Armor, or something similar. You shouldn't have a problem with the Velcro then. My RS Taichi have the same thing. Never have a problem unless I have short sleeves on.

Also, it is Velcro so you can take the lining out and wash it. I would hate to not be able to take my liner out after a race weekend. It would reek after a couple weeks if I couldn't wash it.

The way they did the velco (about 3-4 tabs per cuff) under a fold in the leather means its ok for a little while then the Velcro folds over and scratches.
Takes an hour to fix it (ive tried on a hot summers day at the track and missed two sessions)

Its a common problem on all reviews and ruins the perfect suit.
I compared the chinese Astars to the top of the line Dainese Italian Kangaroo skin one and surprisingly the Chinese Atem is miles better quality (especially the stitching)
Better stretch panels, cooling, and leather quality, was lighter too.
Much more suit for the money.

The bootmaker asked warned me about not being able to remove it,
we considered buttons, studs, zips, clips and all options.
I said "SEW IT"
he said 'What about the stink'
I said "Its MY stink, I love my stink" :p

Cost $90
I'm as happy in a pig in poo. >:D

I always hang my gear up to air out when not worn so its never a problem, especially with Astars Summer skinz. and Nucleon Back protector which is clips to the suit with a stud instead of annoying straps.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts