Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I've been finally getting comfortable with aggressive canyon riding and I feel like it's definitely time to invest in some good gear. I wanted to get some opinions on 1-piece vs 2-piece race suit designs, primarily I will be doing aggressive canyon riding and potentially starting to track my bike in the upcoming months. Pricing doesn't matter to me, but I would like to see what you guys wear and recommend.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I know nothing about Track but reading faq in Toronto motorcycle forum it states that some tracks do not let you in a 2 piece suit.
Maybe it's rare, or completely wrong but check that out with tracks in your area.

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
Most tracks will allow two-piece suit as long as it zips together (top to bottom, that is). If in doubt, ask your local TD provider. The advantage to two-piece for the OP would be (usually) better ventilation and the ability to take the jacket off when not riding - nice features on hot days or if you want to sit down and eat. My $0.02..

Buy the best quality you can afford. A good quality set of leathers will last 10 years or more with some care.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
I have rode with TrackDaz and 2WTD and neither of them even checked our gear when it came time for tech inspect. That said, dont use that as an excuse because in the end its YOUR skin that the gear will protect.

1 piece should hold up better since there is 1 less point of failure, which is the attaching zipper.
2 piece feels great when it gets hot and you can just take off your top and set it down.
1 piece means you will have to undo your upper half and carry the top half tied around your waist. Another thing some of my friends do is carry a belt around and "wear" it with the top portion of the 1 piece off. Taking a **** sucks because it touches things you dont want it to touch. You could just change into shorts and run to the bathroom too, but thats only at the track. For canyon rides you will have to just bear with the heat.
I have lowsided at the track in a 2 piece and there is no evidence of the suite ripping at the middle part. That said, that was a slower lowside. I would imagine when you start getting faster, the chance of separation between top and bottom gets bigger.
Bilt makes cheap 1 pieces. If you are on a budget try them out. Believe it or not, my cheapo sub $200 Bilt jacket has taken a few falls at similar speed better than my $400+ Astars.
I might try a 1 piece RS-Taichi when I get to Japan, but right now the 2 piece design has not given me any problems on the track or in the canyons. Fitment should be one of the traits that you get picky about.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I would definitely go a 2 piece unless you want it for track/racing ONLY. I have crashed many times including a few at ~100mph and they have held up well. 1 piece suits can be awkward and uncomfortable when you aren't riding (i.e stopping for lunch or between sessions at the track)

·
Registered
230 Posts
primarily I will be doing aggressive canyon riding
You live in relative close proximity to several race tracks. Skip the "aggressive" part of canyon riding which is a vastly more high risk activity than riding at the track. Good, flowing lines thru corners does not require taking aggressive risks.

2-piece for multi-purpose but be sure to get one that has a full circumference zipper.

·
Registered
330 Posts
If you are only using it for trackdays/devoted to riding aggressively why even consider anything other than a 1 piece? Yes they can be awkward when not riding, but I just unzip mine and let it hang. It doesn't bother me at all that way. Plus, you live in California. You have multiple local tracks. Like someone else has mentioned, save the aggressive riding for the track. Grab a 1 piece, get your bike ready, and go have a real good time. And like has also been mentioned, some groups/academies do not allow two piece suits. Buy once and get it over.

Someone above mentioned the Cycle Gear sale on the Dainese 1 piece. They also have a Sedici 1 piece for $300 right now that, honestly, if just fine for any speeds you'll get up to on the R3. Plus, a lifetime warranty if anything were to happen.

I'm not saying anyone is wrong for buying a two piece, but since I ONLY use mine for one purpose I would rather get the one made for the job. If I used any part of my suit for anything other than that I MIGHT consider a two piece, but I have separate street gear that I'm quite happy with as well.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Also the suit I bought from cycle gear comes with a free track day. you can pick from 2 of the track that they offer. Button willow or willow springs. This goes for any 1 or 2 piece suit bought at cycle gear.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you for the feedback everyone, I am leaning towards the 1-piece suit side, since I am working on setting up my R3 for the track.

You live in relative close proximity to several race tracks. Skip the "aggressive" part of canyon riding which is a vastly more high risk activity than riding at the track. Good, flowing lines thru corners does not require taking aggressive risks.

2-piece for multi-purpose but be sure to get one that has a full circumference zipper.
As for me saying "aggressive" canyon riding, I didn't mean at dangerous speeds, I meant as in pushing a little more lean angle, where my knee would be unsafe with my current riding jeans. I also would enjoy the added protection of a leather suit if I do happen to go down. I definitely keep a safe pace and know my limits. But thank you!

·
Registered
130 Posts
I did my first long trip on the bike today, 320km round-trip over 6 counties. So perhaps an adequate test of the 1-piece I bought.

Being new to motorcycling but knowing my ambitions and purpose of the R3, I opted to just go for a 1-piece. I won't really be commuting or running errands with it- it's supposed to be my weekend toy. That means progressively improving my skills at cornering on great roads I have here. I figured I'd rather just go with an emphasis on protection, although with also an eye for comfort.

So I went for a 1-piece, and don't regret it. For long distances, it's comfortable. I don't need to give too much worry should one day I mess up a corner and low-side (hopefully this never happens and I will never aim for it to happen, but it could). And on the autoroute/highway, I just feel better in a 1-piece.

I'm sure the matching zip-up 2 piece sets are just as safe. But they also cost about the same, so I just went for a 1-piece. And who knows, maybe I will do a track day at one point too >:D, when I get better, that is.

The only time today where it felt too hot was when I was walking around the tourist attractions off the bike. Sure, the air témperature around these parts never exceeds 30°C (86°F) and it was a cool 23°C today, but the direct southern April sun.....yeah that baked a bit when not riding. But small price to pay in my opinion.

·
Registered
111 Posts
My Alpinestars Motegi 2 piece is way more comfortable than my old Dainese Laguna Seca EVO 1 piece. I love being able to remove my jacket on hot days and I wear an ICON vest underneath. Don't forget to wear back and chest protectors. I have Dainese chest insert and Dainese wave back protector but I don't like that there's no rib protection.

There's Comet Leathers too that lots of people are starting to buy because it's a fraction of Dainese cost and just as good quality. American company. My gf just bought hers and it's fully customized with her nickname. She was even able to customize the suit with any color she wanted. It's a sick suit. I'm jelly. My Alpinestars Motegi shoulder ripped on a 50mph lowside at the track. But I've also seen Dainese rip too. http://www.cometracingleathers.com/

If money isn't an issue then look into the $2500 KANGAROO leather suits. They feel amazing. But regular cow leather works. Fit is 100% important. Loose fitting leather can still shred your skin off. Personally I wear Heat Out long johns and long sleeves to help prevent my skin from being removed on a crash. Also helps remove the suit when you're soaked from sweat.

·
Registered
59 Posts
1-Piece vs 2-Piece Race Suit
No such thing as a "2-Piece Race Suit."
If it's your first suit, get the 2- piece for maximum flexibility.
If you start doing trackdays and/or racing, get the 1-piece.

·
Registered
198 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
No such thing as a "2-Piece Race Suit."
If it's your first suit, get the 2- piece for maximum flexibility.
If you start doing trackdays and/or racing, get the 1-piece.
My apologies I guess? I was just going off of what Revzilla and Sportbiketrackgear label them as.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I might try a 1 piece RS-Taichi when I get to Japan, but right now the 2 piece design has not given me any problems on the track or in the canyons. Fitment should be one of the traits that you get picky about.
Osaka or Kyoto stores had some at 40% off recently for the GP-Max (top of the line with no airbag)...you should try those stores for sure. I went to Kyoto, definitely cheaper than stateside and I had no issues with customs either.

Arai brand new Corsair X (RX7-X in Japan) is also a lot cheaper there (~$560 or so) and they do custom fitting for you as well (foam pads installed to ensure best fit).

They also give free taxi rides to the local station, haha

On a side note: The Dainese store in Kyoto was ~25-70% higher pricing than the San Francisco store due to import taxes there.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Hi Laurence
I bought a 1 pc Alpine stars Motegi suit from San Diego cycle gear. They had the best selection in my size. Great price too, It was a $799 suit and it was on sale for $599 plus a 1 day sale additional 20% off. So it was $479. I bought it to do a few track days and it was great for that, but if I did it again, I think I'd go with a 2 piece suit because its more practical and it gives you more options. The local tracks let you wear 2 pc suits. Cycle gear has good deals on 2 pc suits too.

For me, a two piece would be way more useful and I'd probably wear it more often. A one piece really limits your options when you ride. Its feels like overkill if you are going on a casual ride with your non sportbike friends when you need to stop and eat lunch or go into a store for something. With a 2 pc, you can take off the jacket and look normal while you eat lunch. Or you can just wear the jacket and jeans if you like.

For me when I'm all suited up I really don't want to stop anywhere that doesn't have other riders around because it feels like I'm walking around the mall in a wetsuit or maybe its like wearing a tuxedo to Mcdonalds, a little overdressed and out of place feeling. So most of the time I don't wear my 1 pc suit unless its purely a ride up to palomar and back with no stops. I usually end up just wearing a leather jacket and jeans. For that reason I regret getting the 1 pc. Maybe if I get an R1 I'll use it more often.

·
Registered
542 Posts
The common train of thought is 1 piece on the track, 2 on the streets. The 2 piece is a lot more versatile to a street rider. Commuting? Just wear the upper. Hot as balls out? Wear the lower and a mesh jacket. Hitting a Canyon? Zip up the two piece.

The one piece is just not as convenient. I have a lot of different gear(4 jackets, Kevlar jeans, leather pants, full suit) and I very rarely touch the suit. I've worn mine maybe twice so far.

Outside of the track, I just find the other options better suited.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts