Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,
I just heard back from my mechanic in regards to the 10,000km/6200mile service and this was his response:

"Yes, we can do the 10K service on your R3. The 10K is mostly a series of inspection & lubrication items. There are a few "service items" that are on the list, but in my experience some are not necessary. You're doing the oil & filter change, so that's good.
Spark plugs -- check, clean and re-gap. When I've checked plugs that early (10K) on R3s in the past, they have been completely fine and still look brand new.
Fuel injection / throttle bodies -- adjust synchronization. Same as above... sync has been spot on when checked at 10K.
Our rate for the 10K inspection & lubrication items is $99.99. If you want to include the spark plugs (check, clean & re-gap) along with the fuel injection / throttle body synchronization, the rate for everything would be $224.99."

For all you that have already done the service, did you have the same results? That the spark plugs, fuel injection/throttle bodies were all spot on? I think I will get him to re-pack the forks while the bike is there.

·
Registered
130 Posts
DIdn't bother with the synchronisation. Checked the air filter (didn't need replacement at 10k), and the hose, lubricated side stand. I did just a quick visual inspection of chain slack.

Honestly, I've done all the maintenance myself based on the EU maintenance schedule and its been nearly spot on. Plugs last until around 15k based on various factors. I'm at 20k and just replaced the air filter and am set for changing brake fluid.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Why do you keep saying "repack the forks"?? It's not like they're repacking fiberglass in there like on an exhaust. Standard fork service means replacing fork seals and oil. Would be a good idea to get springs for your weight while you're at it, unless you weigh like 140 lbs or less, which is what the stock springs are good for.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Why do you keep saying "repack the forks"?? It's not like they're repacking fiberglass in there like on an exhaust. Standard fork service means replacing fork seals and oil. Would be a good idea to get springs for your weight while you're at it, unless you weigh like 140 lbs or less, which is what the stock springs are good for.
I said re pack the forks once at the end of my post didn't I? I'm not getting springs cause I'm moving up to a 750 in October and don't want to drop money into a bike I'll only have another 3 more months. I am 175lbs

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I said re pack the forks once at the end of my post didn't I? I'm not getting springs cause I'm moving up to a 750 in October and don't want to drop money into a bike I'll only have another 3 more months. I am 175lbs
Oh well it that case probably not worth the trouble.

You said repack in a different thread recently as well....the one about forks being too soft.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Hello, I'm not that technical, still trying to understand these.
What would be the optimum weight for the rider for this spring offered? Like you said the stock spring is very soft and bouncy for me. I weigh between 75 to 80 kg(175lbs?). I ride with pilion as well weight around 60kg.
https://www.ohlins.eu/en/products/motorcycle/fsk-104--5369/

Sent from my ASUS_Z017DB using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
If you go to the racetech or sonic springs site ( a few other suspension sites might have it as well, I have only ever purchased from above though), they have a calculator that allows you to input weights and figure out what springs you should get. If you are ordering from a retailer like hard racing or whatever, they usually ask for your rider weight and order those springs for you from the suspension manufacturer.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Traxxion Dynamics offers fork springs for the R3 you give them your weight and passenger weight when ordering. I haven't ordered any yet but that is what I had in my SV650 and they were great!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Havent done my first maintenance on my R3... it only has like 38 miles.... The vendor told me to take it when it reach 300 miles or 1 month old.... so it seems that i will not even reach the 100 miles on it...

now, reading at your post make me wonder if you got a list of the services the dealer will do for each of the maintenance mileage?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Havent done my first maintenance on my R3... it only has like 38 miles.... The vendor told me to take it when it reach 300 miles or 1 month old.... so it seems that i will not even reach the 100 miles on it...

now, reading at your post make me wonder if you got a list of the services the dealer will do for each of the maintenance mileage?
Read the manual. The first service is at 500 miles, the vendor is trying to steal money from you in my opinion. There is a list of services that are recommended by the milage in your manual.

·
Registered
169 Posts
If you go to the racetech or sonic springs site ( a few other suspension sites might have it as well, I have only ever purchased from above though), they have a calculator that allows you to input weights and figure out what springs you should get. If you are ordering from a retailer like hard racing or whatever, they usually ask for your rider weight and order those springs for you from the suspension manufacturer.
Thanks for the reply.
I checked in Sonic Spring and found that the spring rate I may need is .85kg/mm
Calculated Spring Rate: 0.85 kg/mm
For Rider Weight = 188 lbs.
Bike Weight = 372 lbs.
Bike Type = Sport Bike
Riding Style = Aggressive Street
Tank Bag = No

I was planning to buy from here which showed the lowest price but I found three links with different spring rates and the lowest priced link hasn't listed any spring rate.

No spring rate mentioned - https://japan.webike.net/products/22819551.html

7.5N/mm - https://japan.webike.net/products/22118772.html

7.0N/mm - https://japan.webike.net/products/22118770.html

from Ohlins website I could only see that they listed 7.5N/mm of spring. https://www.ohlins.com/product-item/54860/

Do you know the stock spring rate?

I'm on a very tight budget and was thinking of changing to a 20W oil first and try that. Also here in India the suspension upgrade or any fitments are not heard of by the local mechanics or even R3 technicians. So as a first step to change oil first.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts