Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
You read that correctly.

I just got a quote from progressive for a 2016 959 Panigale. They quoted me just shy of $10,000 a year on insurance. It was something in the ball park of $790/mo.

Insurance on my $90k BMW M3 was $325/mo.

Insurance on my 2015 R3, is $75/mo.

What the **** are these people smoking?

·
Registered
223 Posts
You should ask if you can finance the insurance. :laugh:

·
Registered
346 Posts
You pay $75/mo on the R3? I'm 22 and I pay $225/year for full coverage.... variations in insurance prices are crazy. I get that to some degree they have to be different based on different people, but they should have to provide actual reasons why other than "well, that is the number the algorithm spit out".

·
Registered
164 Posts
What state are you in? (Besides state of shock :)). Here in Ohio, State Farm only wants $22/mo for an R3 (five cars and a house on the policy, no tickets) and the price barely moves until they start quoting SS and liter bikes.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You pay $75/mo on the R3? I'm 22 and I pay $225/year for full coverage.... variations in insurance prices are crazy. I get that to some degree they have to be different based on different people, but they should have to provide actual reasons why other than "well, that is the number the algorithm spit out".
No ****.
I can only guess it is because of my driving record in my car. I have more tickets than I can remember. There are currently 2 speeding violations in the 3 year span they claim they check, so that is probably with it is a bit higher than others.

I'm pretty sure (and progressive all but confirmed this) that Progressive just does not want to insure that bike, so they set the rate higher than anyone would actually pay.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What state are you in? (Besides state of shock :)). Here in Ohio, State Farm only wants $22/mo for an R3 (five cars and a house on the policy, no tickets) and the price barely moves until they start quoting SS and liter bikes.
I'm in Texas.
It has to be because of my driving record. Supposedly they only go back 3 years, but I think they are full of ****.

·
Super Moderator
1,289 Posts
1 minor ticket 1 point, first one since 22 years ... insurance immediately almost doubled, and I was forced to change policy to another company, which came up cheaper than I was originally paying. They will try to take advantage of you in a heartbeat. I'm sure the new company will start quoting "general state rate increases" at the 6 or 12 mo point.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
1 minor ticket 1 point, first one since 22 years ... insurance immediately almost doubled, and I was forced to change policy to another company, which came up cheaper than I was originally paying. They will try to take advantage of you in a heartbeat. I'm sure the new company will start quoting "general state rate increases" at the 6 or 12 mo point.
My insurance on my WRX was around 85/mo. Then a dude in a work truck cut me off and slammed on his brakes... I kissed his back bumper, no damage to his car, clips on my front bumper were torn off... My insurance spiked up to $375/mo.

And all they will tell you is what rate their computer tells them. Fucking crooks, the lot of them.

Reactions: Omnislug

·
Registered
143 Posts
You read that correctly.

I just got a quote from progressive for a 2016 959 Panigale. They quoted me just shy of $10,000 a year on insurance. It was something in the ball park of $790/mo.

Insurance on my $90k BMW M3 was $325/mo.

Insurance on my 2015 R3, is $75/mo.

What the **** are these people smoking?
My house is only 50k more than your car :eek: Try calling state farm I've had good luck with them for motorcycle quotes, more so than anyone else and I'm also in TX. Call an actual office with real people not the internet phone number. I use a guy named Todd something that has an office off university in Georgetown he crushed the prices of the corporate state farm number

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My house is only 50k more than your car :eek: Try calling state farm I've had good luck with them for motorcycle quotes, more so than anyone else and I'm also in TX. Call an actual office with real people not the internet phone number. I use a guy named Todd something that has an office off university in Georgetown he crushed the prices of the corporate state farm number
Thanks for the tip. My current offer from Progressive is.... Unreasonable. :)

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Progressive sucks. Most riders know to check STATE FARM. The R3 is too cheap to put expensive insurance on, but I know people who finance have to carry full-coverage on it until they pay it off. I paid cash for my R3, and I only have "liability" on it. $7 / month. If I wreck it, I will fix it myself. It's called: RESPONSIBILITY.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
What are you doing shopping for a Pani 959! :eek:

Stay away from that overpriced Italian sex-machine!
:D

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Progressive sucks. Most riders know to check STATE FARM. The R3 is too cheap to put expensive insurance on, but I know people who finance have to carry full-coverage on it until they pay it off. I paid cash for my R3, and I only have "liability" on it. $7 / month. If I wreck it, I will fix it myself. It's called: RESPONSIBILITY.
I have a loan for it. I wanted to use it for positive credit payment history. I want to try to get my credit score over 800. (This is a game right?)

What are you doing shopping for a Pani 959! :eek:

Stay away from that overpriced Italian sex-machine!
:D
I'm just shopping around to see what insurance would be on it. Everyone complains about the higher interest rates on 600cc+ bikes, so I decided to find out for myself.

As for that sexy Italian sex machine... That arctic white gives me a hard on. lol. Though, I am still undecided on what I will get for my next bike. The S1000RR has come into high favor with me in recent weeks.

Reactions: Xoenz

·
Registered
810 Posts
I would stay away from Ducati right now. Currently their customer service on warranty work is terrible. A lot of problems with the newer models engines and electronics. Ducati North America has just sucked donkey balls with taking care of their customers.

If you really want a Ducati, buy an older one. Like the 1098 or 999. If you look at the 996/998/916/748 find out if they had the flaking.

Or, buy the BMW.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I know people at Ducati. I'm also friends/co-workers with the pres. of the Ducati club here in Austin. I don't think i'd get too ****** by them.

Plus the BMW is 4k more to start. I dunno, we'll see how the numbers come out.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Plus the BMW is 4k more to start. I dunno, we'll see how the numbers come out.
Since you like white.... what about the 2014 CBR1000RR?
Cheaper than any of those other bikes you mentioned. Just as fast as a 959 Pani. More reliable. Cheaper to own.

http://www.sportrider.com/sportbikes/2014-bmw-s-1000-rr-and-honda-cbr1000rr-dyno

Put a IRC timing retard controller on it, and recover the lost HP on the top-end.

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/dynojet-irc-ignition-retard-controller-honda-cbr1000rr-2008-2016

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Since you like white.... what about the 2014 CBR1000RR?
Cheaper than any of those other bikes you mentioned. Just as fast as a 959 Pani. More reliable. Cheaper to own.

http://www.sportrider.com/sportbikes/2014-bmw-s-1000-rr-and-honda-cbr1000rr-dyno

Put a IRC timing retard controller on it, and recover the lost HP on the top-end.

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/dynojet-irc-ignition-retard-controller-honda-cbr1000rr-2008-2016
The CBR 1000RR was one of the bikes I was looking at, though I was looking at a new one ($1,000 less than the Ducati in non-race trim). I really like the look of it, and from what I hear (haven't ridden one) they are very comfortable.

The power is not what is going to sell me, but the technology I get for the price. That, combined with riding comfort would be a big win. I think overall, the BMW would be the clear winner for me in this category, and the price starts at just about $200 dollars above the Ducati. All 3 of them are very close in price, and no matter which bike I throw into the hat in addition to these 3, it will come down to bang for buck, usability, and comfort level.

The BMW is probably the best bike with those criteria, but the 959 has that italian sex machine thing going for it. The CBR has cost, plus I can opt to get an older one and probably save some cash. I don't think the CBR 1000RR has been updated since 2013? (correct me if i'm wrong).

I'd also consider throwing in the Daytona 675R. I love that white (Part of the reason I like the 959 so much, hehe)

(Also, I find the lower HP of the 959 a little more appealing honestly, a near 200hp bike still scares me a little bit haha)

EDIT: The BMW is 19k. Haha, fuuuuuck!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts