Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Yes. Riders have used a 120 on the rear, so a 130 should work as well.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Not helpful to the thread but, why? I can't think of any reason to use a 120 or 130 on the rear
It's certainly not a very popular option. Most people it seems, would rather go to a wider than stock tire for looks, and consequently handicap their bike's performance. A wider tire will just reduce acceleration, increase stability, and reduce the sharp handling that makes this bike so much fun.

I've gone one size down from stock on some of my previously bikes as a means of reducing unsprung and rotating - mass. On the low powered bikes I've done it on - the difference was pretty remarkable. The outer part of the wheel is most sensitive to weight changes and rotating mass. Going from a 140 to a 130 section width tire might reduce weight by 1 to 2 or more more lbs depending on the tire. On a low horsepower bike - the difference is quite noticeable.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have a 130 from my 2008 ninja 250 that I replace way ahead of time has alot of life in it,was wondering if i should ever bother using it on the r3. Thanks

·
Registered
424 Posts
It's certainly not a very popular option. Most people it seems, would rather go to a wider than stock tire for looks, and consequently handicap their bike's performance. A wider tire will just reduce acceleration, increase stability, and reduce the sharp handling that makes this bike so much fun.

I've gone one size down from stock on some of my previously bikes as a means of reducing unsprung and rotating - mass. On the low powered bikes I've done it on - the difference was pretty remarkable. The outer part of the wheel is most sensitive to weight changes and rotating mass. Going from a 140 to a 130 section width tire might reduce weight by 1 to 2 or more more lbs depending on the tire. On a low horsepower bike - the difference is quite noticeable.
Yeah, I do understand the performance difference of a lighter tyre and I have tried a 150/60 v 140/70 and the difference was very noticeable. It might give better acceleration but I'ld be worried about running out of edge grip even with fairly sedate street riding

I have a 130 from my 2008 ninja 250 that I replace way ahead of time has alot of life in it,was wondering if i should ever bother using it on the r3. Thanks

Ah, now I understand why you're asking
Hopefully someone that has personally tried it will chime in.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts