Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Yamaha R3
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Track Day #1:
June was my 1st Track Day @thunder Hill - West.
Track Day #2:
July 4th was my 2nd Track Day @thunder Hill East & West/5 MI.
At both events I now see why the R3 is so popular with All ages and All riding experiences. What a Blast to ride, and I never felt inferior to the larger displacement bikes around me. Around the twisted and chicanes this bike didn't lack anything but a lesser experienced rider for now. At Track Day #2 I had the opportunity to work with Dave Moss, and take in some valuable Rider Tips, Tire Pressure suggestions throughout the day, and some minor Rear Shock adjustments. Dave was awesome to learn from! Next stop is Z2 Yamaha Dayz @ Sonoma on 8/2 with All Brands. With each session my consistency, confidence and skills gets better. This 2017 R3 is a PERFECT first bike to own, and enjoy. #R3FanforLife

Attachments

·
Registered
272 Posts
Wow the master Mr. Moss touched your bike?? Awesome.

·
Registered
2017 Yamaha R3
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow the master Mr. Moss touched your bike?? Awesome.
Dave was very genuine, and kept his reccomendations and advice simple. He really asked me alot of questions to qualify my Skill and Comfort levels before making any suggestions. His help was more than just minor mechanical adjustments to my bike, it was 50% Mind-set and Game-plan for how to build from where I am as a rider now, to where I want be be eventually...and have Fun. Looking forward to Sonoma Raceway in 7 Days! I appreciate the R3 Forum support - Thanks Everyone. Be safe!

·
Registered
2017 Yamaha R3
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've been going to Sonoma for 20+ years for Motorsports events since it's only 90 minutes away. Took my first Riders Course their with Z2 Yamaha Days last August...mostly pylon exercises and Gymkana at the end. The last 45 minutes they let us beginners follow staff around the track and I was Hooked! This will be my 3rd track day in the past 90 days, and my first full track day event on the Sonoma course. Rented a garage with my brother who rides a 22' Ducati 4V in A-Class. I'm confident in my Acceleration, Lines and Acceleration, but my body positioning in leaning the bike and trusting my front tire is lacking (not dragging any knee yet)? I'm told this will come with time, and without adequate corner-speed I'm just unbalanced myself and my bike. Suggestions? I'm watching other younger riders do this with confidence, and I'm hoping to get there soon myself. If you look at my photo attached, I'm apparently staying too Centered on my bike in the corners??? Having a Blast though!

·
Registered
2020 R3 ABS
25 Posts
Keep in mind that dragging a knee is a result, not a goal; as you get faster you'll get your knee down. And it'll be when you least expect it and probably give you a little startle haha. Then you'll really be hooked.

You need to get your ass off the seat in that pic. Your whole right cheek should be off the seat, get your head down and forward. Open your hips up into the corner...use your outside leg to grip the tank, your inside leg should make a triangle sticking off the side of the bike. When you look at your photos you'll see if triangle of light between your leg and the bike when you're on the right track. Have a plan each session to work on one thing and stick to it.

·
Registered
417 Posts
At this point, you would benefit from an advanced riding course, be it California Superbike School (I think they operate in your area ...) or something similar. You will learn a lot and never have more fun doing it!

·
Registered
306 Posts
At this point, you would benefit from an advanced riding course, be it California Superbike School (I think they operate in your area ...) or something similar. You will learn a lot and never have more fun doing it!
I'd certainly recommend them. I've done a couple of California Superbike school classes on my R3, and it was well worth the entrance fee. I learned a lot from both days and I'll definitely be back for more next year.

It's a bit disconcerting having someone on an H2 go flying past on the main straight though!

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

1 - 12 of 12 Posts