Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hide yer wimmin, likker and weed, cuz Elvis has entered the building. Looks like a few of us from UT will be out that way end of next month. Who's in?

So - throwing it out there: Western R3 riders all ability levels, put on your big boy britches and let's do this!! I have not purchased tickets yet, but will soon - SoCal Trackdays: http://www.socaltrackdays.com/

Jesse - callin' you out bro....

I've never been so I'll be a total newb at Chuck. I'll will bring the R3 for sure, maybe another bike - good times, let the smack talk commence! I'd enjoy meeting the faces behind the names, compare bikes, tell lies....

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Elvis is booked for the show!
We're planning to be there both days and have paid up, so it's 95/5 at this point. Not sure what we're bringing as far as amenities, but hope to see some of you there - stop by and partake of the hospitality cooler.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Cool. What's the minimum gear you would need? Is there instructor's for new guys that have never tracked before?
Depends on org. Trackdaz is a great org and they offered class time after every session. If this event is a race, you may not even get to go onto the track. Gear requirements differ from org to org but in general, a 1 piece leather suite, or 2 piece if they zip together, motorcycle boots, gauntlet gloves and a full face helmet.

·
Registered
2015 R3 racebike
67 Posts
Boots, gauntlet style gloves and leathers typically covers it. 1 or 2 piece that zip together are usually ok. Tape lights and reflectors if it is a street bike. That usually covers it. No limit sessions means run til u r out of gas ;)

·
Registered
2015 R3 racebike
67 Posts
I have agv leather pants and joe rocket radar jacket. They zip together at the back. But not all the way around. Is that a requirement?

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/joe-rocket-radar-jacket
You know Diesal, I can't say 100% for sure, but if it was secure and not flapping around you would probably be ok. Guessing this would be one of your first track days? I think Dale and Andy run this event, and they would likely be ok with it. If this is your first track day on a stock R3, you are not likely to break any records, not that you can't.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
From what I have seen, they want to see a top/bottom that zips 3/4 around. Thats on paper, in their websites. From my personal experience twice in the last 3 months, literally no one has ever checked anyones gear. Mandatory riders meeting, everyone is wearing pajamas or shorts lol. Tech inspection, people roll in with their shorts or pajamas.

·
Registered
2015 R3 racebike
67 Posts
For the record, you are right. However, Trackxperience checks gear, but they are the only ones from what I have seen. You want to be as safe as possible. Dress for the crash, but don't actually do it ;)

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If you come to watch, better not bring the bike - otherwise you'll only be watching the first half-hour or so....
I'll bring an extra set of leathers if someone doesn't mind the accumulated funk of at least three other previous owners. Pretty sure they're free of lice and scabies. Track me down in the morning if you are in need.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Looks like a good time. Unfortunately I have no prior track experience. I went to the link. Explains gear etc. And This:

It must be emphasized that we are restricting this opportunity to riders with previous track experience (for example Jason Pridmore’s STAR School, California Superbike School, WERA, WSMC, or other race/track day organizations). This is not a race day; courteous passing will be expected and enforced. Riders without previous track experience attempting to attend our events will not be permitted to ride and will not be given a refund.

A clean, road-worthy motorcycle with properly operating controls is required.
Minimum 250 cc displacement.
Mirrors must be taped or removed.
Headlight and taillight must be taped and the brake light completely covered or disabled to not distract following riders.
Engine in good running condition with no leaks.
Tires in new or near new condition. This is important because you can easily get in excess of 175 miles on the track per day.
Safety wire or RTV silicone adhesive is required on the oil drain bolt and recommended on other critical fasteners.
Wheel weights must be taped.

Full coverage leathers (1 piece or top and bottom zipped together) or an equivalent Cordura Nylon or Kevlar suit. (Aerostich OK)
Leather or Kevlar riding gloves extending above the wrist.
Leather riding boots extending above the ankle.
A DOT and/or Snell approved full-face helmet with no damage.
Joe Rocket “Phoenix” or similar light-weight suits are not acceptable.

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Seems like every time I go out of State, the gremlins follow closely behind....

Roll in Friday night just after dark, start setting up and find that the key milk crate with the lantern, cook pots, mugs, plates. bowls and all other eating-type utensils and accoutrements didn't make the trip. Got a vat of gumbo that just needs to be heated up, make some rice, good to go - nope - spent a half hour dumpster diving to find Gatorade bottles and beer cans of sufficient quantity to allow feeding to proceed.

Saturday morning breaks glorious. Fill some beer cans with water, get them heated up and make a fine cup of Joe. Going to be a great day. Try to start the bike and find that the battery is at about 3 volts (13.8 when I left the house). Check the battery and it's got a nice bulge and a cracked case (internal short) - OK, good thing it didn't decide to napalm the bike in the process. I'd almost brought the stock lead-acid as a spare, but had decided I wouldn't need it. By 11:00 it was determined that no appropriate spare batteries were in the paddock, so off I go to Palm Springs - almost losing my buddy's tonneau cover in the process, had to lash it down with straps to keep it on-board. Get a battery, back to paddock by 2:30 - no worries, I can still get some sessions in. Bike turns over fine, tries to start and dies (over and over) - smells like it's running rich.....check everything, retry, this doesn't make any sense - it's mapped for higher altitude, so if anything it should be running lean. This continues until dark. We'll give it another shot in the morning - I will get some riding in.

Sunday - same deal with the bike. Finally after track goes hot and no closer to a running bike I get frustrated and decide to just disconnect the Bazzaz and restore to stock. Sure enough - bike starts and runs just fine (even without the O2 sensor). If only I'd tried that yesterday.... Get in four sessions and a 100 miles before the desert unleashes upon us and visibility got a wee bit sketchy (a couple of guys just ahead of me lost track of where they were and went off without drama, but yeah...). Track got red-flagged soon after and we figured it wouldn't likely get better, so went ahead and packed it in. Apparently conditions improved later as Murphy would dictate. All in all, though, my first time at Chuck and I'll take my mishaps over wadding up right out of the box any day of the week. Really dug the chicanes, bowl section and entry/exit to front straight.

So after battling through sand and dust storms all through Cali, AZ and into NV we decide to crash at a buddy's house in Vegas rather than pushing through snow storms at night in UT. Well, turns out at least we didn't have to drive through snowstorms at night. Normally 6 hours from Vegas to home, it took 12...carnage on I-15... get back and see that Jesse had sent me a couple of PM's from the track. Jesse - I am weak on my remote cell phone to forum type stuff and didn't even think to check. I am bummed that we didn't hook up - turns out we even were pitted at the same end of the paddock.

Sorry no vids - got a few pics. Hopefully Jesse got some stuff when the sandstorm started blowing in.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.