Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow I thought I would never get the front brakes to have compression again. But I eventually got it. It takes a loooooooooooooong time to get all the air out of the line. So, if you are going to DIY just know it may take longer than you would think.

One trick I found after I was pumping and bleeding .....forever..... was to just slightly pull in on the brake just until the master cylinder opens and you can see air bubbling up in the reservoir. Also moving the handle bars in different positions seemed to relieve air. Of course doing this in between the usually pump brake repeatedly and bleed line helped a lot.

The rear brakes where a snap due to less fighting of gravity.

I bought the Venhill's in carbon color with black banjos etc. Very happy with the quality and performance.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Front line looks kind of straight, maybe loosen the bottom and pull a tad of slack into the line so it can move more natural with the front suspension movement.
Maybe an expert could chime in on that.

This $35 vacuum kit at Amazon makes it infinitely easier if you have a compressor. Got my brakes better with a power bleeder than I ever could with a bleeder bag / ziploc.

Afterwards I used velcro straps to squeeze the front brake handle down overnight to squeeze out any small bubbles.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Front line looks kind of straight, maybe loosen the bottom and pull a tad of slack into the line so it can move more natural with the front suspension movement.
Maybe an expert could chime in on that.

The line looks straighter in the pic than it really is. I was thinking the same thing so I move the bike through the shock travel and it's good.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Is it typical that a dealership would install aftermarket ss lines if I have them in hand (not yamaha)? I'm confident I could do the work myself, but I wouldn't mind shelling out to have a professional work on my brakes if possible

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Mityvac brake fluid pump makes it pretty easy as well if you don't have a compressor to use the tool mentioned above.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Dealership service department is simply that. Service department. They are willing to install anything you want for you. At the cost of labor (usually $80/hour). Also, as with any service department (auto or moto) customer supplied parts or aftermarket parts usually means they are not liable for any malfunction or failure related to the part.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts