Yamaha R3 Forums banner

Is 2019+ one worth extra ~$1,000+ over 2015-2018 one?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey everyone,

I've researched about R3 as much as I can to finally decide it as a first bike.
I'm choosing between two R3's with ABS at dealerships. It was surprising how noticeably limited in availability the ABS models are at both Craigslist & dealerships.
I would greatly appreciate your thoughts on picking between these two.

1. Color: Black/raven (black color is undesirable to me due to heat in Texas)
  2. Mileage: 12,500 miles
  3. Price: Listed for $3,800, OTD for $4,250, my OTD goal is ~$3,200
  4. Haggling Possibility: High (low sales in general due to coronavirus, listed for sale for 7 months, relisted frequently which likely indicates dealer's desperation)
  5. Extra Information: Akrapovic full exhaust installed, ECU/fuel controller possibly installed or not (if the previous owner who traded-in did justice by installing it to utilize the full exhaust, which also indicates the how they treated the bike), scuffs on the instrument cluster, scuffs on crankcase/bar ends/etc. (signs of bike drop), low tread on the tires (Michelin Power RS), somewhat dirty chain, very local dealership
  1. Color: White (most favorite, high visibility for safety)
  2. Mileage: 200 miles
  3. Price: Listed for $4,450, OTD for $4,900, my OTD goal is ~$4,200
  4. Haggling Possibility: Medium (low sales in general due to coronavirus, listed for sale for 2 months)
  5. Extra Information: Seemingly never dropped, fresh tires (green strip intact)
After much research & thinking, the decision comes down to these factors being worth ~$1,000 premium:
  1. Mods (While full exhaust is worth $700+, it's indicative of previous owner's treatment of the bike. Even if it's properly installed with ECU/fuel controller to utilize it, that questions how hard this bike was ridden)
  2. Mileage (While it's not a huge concern, it's a reasonable difference nonetheless)
  3. Color (Again, white is highly preferable over black)
  4. Generation Differences between 2015-2018 and 2019+
    1. Fully digital instrument cluster (better visibility & ease of use)
    2. Upside down fork (20% increased spring rate, 120% increased rebound damping, 380% increased compression damping = reduced brake diving, increased responsiveness)
    3. Rear shock (increased spring rate, 70% increased rebound damping, 10% decreased compression damping)
    4. Tires (Dunlop Sportmax GPR-300 radial = All around improvements in handling over previous Michelin Pilot Street bias ply)
    5. Fairings, windscreen (7% decreased drag for 5 mph more top speed, better radiator cooling through duct, looks considerably sharper)
    6. Clipons, fuel tank (Handlebars lowered 22mm, Fuel tank lowered 20mm & wider 31.4mm above rider’s knees = Easier tuck in behind windscreen, better tank grip during cornering)
    7. LED headlights
Do you think it's worth the ~$1,000 extra to get the 2019 one as a first bike for a beginner?

Thank you kindly,
Datalighter

·
Registered
29 Posts
Do you think it's worth the ~$1,000 extra to get the 2019 one as a first bike for a beginner?

Thank you kindly,
Datalighter
[/QUOTE]

This seems like a no brainer to me. You like the white (best combination they have offered on an R3 in my opinion), new tires, no miles, your history is it’s history, probably a warranty, you are suspicious of how the black one, (a color you don’t want), has been treated for 12K miles, going up two years in model and a 2020 looks the same. The better suspension and ergonomics...
Really, what are you waiting for ? I’m totally biased on this, but if 2020’s are any indication, I don’t think I would be any more happy with a 2021 than my current white ‘19. Do it. Well worth the difference in peace of mind And never growing tired of looking at it.
wedgeSG

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
This seems like a no brainer to me. You like the white (best combination they have offered on an R3 in my opinion), new tires, no miles, your history is it’s history, probably a warranty, you are suspicious of how the black one, (a color you don’t want), has been treated for 12K miles, going up two years in model and a 2020 looks the same. The better suspension and ergonomics...
Really, what are you waiting for ? I’m totally biased on this, but if 2020’s are any indication, I don’t think I would be any more happy with a 2021 than my current white ‘19. Do it. Well worth the difference in peace of mind And never growing tired of looking at it.
wedgeSG
You're right. Who am I kidding.
Both my heart & head want the white one, but part of me is pumping the brakes with what-if's.
Thank you.

Your white R3 looks simply brilliant. It may be the best white R3 model I've seen yet.
While your mods may be overlooked by most at first, their subtlety makes your bike that much cohesive & carefully chosen: I see a fender eliminator, LED rear turn signals, modified OEM slipon (simply wrapped?), passenger feet slider replacement, passenger seat delete, crankcase cover, OEM integrated frame slider, R3 side decal removal, fork slider, LED turn signals, custom seats, bar end sliders with gold accent to match the forks, sidestand shoe so far.

Not if, but what else did I miss?

·
Registered
29 Posts
You’ve got a good eye Data. As yet there isn’t a great deal of aftermarket enhancement for 2nd gen...but there is a saying that perfection is achieved not when there is nothing left to add but when there is nothing left to take away. Much as I loved the white ‘19 that bullseye huge R3 in the center of the bike was the first thing to go. (After the mandatory signals and camp shovel fender wang). The passenger peg brackets were stripped/sanded, had the peg mount ears removed and filed smooth then powder coated in satin black. The factory ankle plates got in that same batch of powder. Most of the crash protection is from T-Rex out of Texas. The left peg bracket did require drilling a hole to mount a Delrin puck. The tire hugger is a used fiberglass part I found on EBay. It was blue when I received it, had obviously been painted by previous owner, and fits perfectly. Have been unable to find out the original manufacturer. Other things maybe not visible in the photo are a modified GPS mount made from a dash bag type. Filled the bottom of the plastic ball arm with epoxy, drilled a couple of hole thru it’s base, mounted it thru the slots on the triple tree clamp with some longer screws and backing washers from below. Not perfectly centered but, totally non invasive to the bike. Changing the exhaust on a R3, to me, is spending money for minimal gains. Many times necessitating even more being spent after the purchase to make the result perform as hoped. Unless the cat is removed, (can of worms opened), there doesn’t seem to be a great deal of tones changed for the better. So, I painted the original. Scuff the black factory finish with a Scotch pad. VHT spray can header paint. Let thoroughly dry and followed with DupliColor engine color clear. Haven’t had a chance to test durability much, does show some evidence of discoloring, but in an expected naturally occurring way. Not at all unpleasant to view. Stripes are high grade vinyl, as are the reflective wheel graphics.
I have spent some money on a few items but most items have been good used parts from EBay. Really, just improving or removing factory items goes a long way. “Shave and a haircut” as the rodder term goes. The rear seat cover, not available in Vivid White, get the Raven one from Yamaha for a better fit and paint quality. Saddlemen seat highly recommended, mine was a used part, EBay sourced, for $65. shipped. Shop for deals. Avoid cheap, ill fitting, Chinese “parts” like the plague. Patience is somewhat easier to attain right now...when what else can we do? StaySafe and thanks for your kind words on my R3.
wedgeSG

·
Registered
29 Posts
Exhaust Slider is from T-Rex 🦖 Racing out of Dallas Texas. Think they have an EBay site as well as their own. Nice robust piece that fits very well.
wedgeSG

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You’ve got a good eye Data. As yet there isn’t a great deal of aftermarket enhancement for 2nd gen...but there is a saying that perfection is achieved not when there is nothing left to add but when there is nothing left to take away. Much as I loved the white ‘19 that bullseye huge R3 in the center of the bike was the first thing to go. (After the mandatory signals and camp shovel fender wang). The passenger peg brackets were stripped/sanded, had the peg mount ears removed and filed smooth then powder coated in satin black. The factory ankle plates got in that same batch of powder. Most of the crash protection is from T-Rex out of Texas. The left peg bracket did require drilling a hole to mount a Delrin puck. The tire hugger is a used fiberglass part I found on EBay. It was blue when I received it, had obviously been painted by previous owner, and fits perfectly. Have been unable to find out the original manufacturer. Other things maybe not visible in the photo are a modified GPS mount made from a dash bag type. Filled the bottom of the plastic ball arm with epoxy, drilled a couple of hole thru it’s base, mounted it thru the slots on the triple tree clamp with some longer screws and backing washers from below. Not perfectly centered but, totally non invasive to the bike. Changing the exhaust on a R3, to me, is spending money for minimal gains. Many times necessitating even more being spent after the purchase to make the result perform as hoped. Unless the cat is removed, (can of worms opened), there doesn’t seem to be a great deal of tones changed for the better. So, I painted the original. Scuff the black factory finish with a Scotch pad. VHT spray can header paint. Let thoroughly dry and followed with DupliColor engine color clear. Haven’t had a chance to test durability much, does show some evidence of discoloring, but in an expected naturally occurring way. Not at all unpleasant to view. Stripes are high grade vinyl, as are the reflective wheel graphics.
I have spent some money on a few items but most items have been good used parts from EBay. Really, just improving or removing factory items goes a long way. “Shave and a haircut” as the rodder term goes. The rear seat cover, not available in Vivid White, get the Raven one from Yamaha for a better fit and paint quality. Saddlemen seat highly recommended, mine was a used part, EBay sourced, for $65. shipped. Shop for deals. Avoid cheap, ill fitting, Chinese “parts” like the plague. Patience is somewhat easier to attain right now...when what else can we do? StaySafe and thanks for your kind words on my R3.
wedgeSG
Thank you very much for expanding on each of your mods.

I couldn't agree more with that idea of perfection.
Judgements on changing the exhaust & cheapening out on generic parts are on point as well.
$65 for the Saddlemen seat is a steal.
T-Rex parts seem quality despite the relatively high price. Considering Yamaha's OEM no-cut integrated frame sliders have been reported to shatter (shameful especially as an OEM), T-Rex's is the only manufacturer of a truly functional one.

·
Registered
29 Posts
The Yamaha ones are kinda iffy. My kickstand got out of the way unexpectedly while moving the bike. Held onto it for as long as my arm would reach. Sustained about an 18”, zero mph, drop to finished floor. It cracked pretty good. Filled the interior cavities with epoxy putty and then reinstalled it. Think it’s stronger than new now. I guess they are better than nothing. Had no damage whatsoever to the fairings at all. Just wish they would offer the fins/pucks separately from the whole kit, or the aftermarket would make a more durable replacement to fit the Yamaha kit bracket.
wedgeSG

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Why do you think having a full exhaust indicates how well the bike has been treated? I run a full exhaust, high flow filter, fuel controller and I’m wondering if you think that somehow means my bike is in worse condition than someone else’s? I also track my bike a lot. Does that somehow make it in worse condition?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Why do you think having a full exhaust indicates how well the bike has been treated? I run a full exhaust, high flow filter, fuel controller and I’m wondering if you think that somehow means my bike is in worse condition than someone else’s? I also track my bike a lot. Does that somehow make it in worse condition?
Full exhaust itself doesn't indicate risk, but the combination with the unknowns & signs of lacking maintenance about this bike does:
  1. Completely unknown maintenance history by both the current owner (dealership) and the actual previous owner who traded-in to the dealership
  2. Unverified installation of fuel controller to properly run the exhaust setup
  3. Terrible condition of the brake fluid
  4. Scratches & dings on the parts that shouldn't have that much wear

1 - 14 of 14 Posts