Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My sons stock 15 r3 other than yosi Exhaust. Had bike 3 years and find front end really soft. Can we just change to stiffer fork springs like .80. How hard is it to change springs? Is it just take caps off and change springs with weight off forks. Not looking for any thing for track use just more rider friendly. Sons weight 175 pounds I weigh 195 pounds and like to take r3 for rip once and awhile also. But bike has just way to much fork dive. Any springs work better than others. Not wanting to spend crazy amount on upgrade. Thanks for any help.

·
Super Moderator
1,302 Posts
My sons stock 15 r3 other than yosi Exhaust. Had bike 3 years and find front end really soft. Can we just change to stiffer fork springs like .80. How hard is it to change springs? Is it just take caps off and change springs with weight off forks. Not looking for any thing for track use just more rider friendly. Sons weight 175 pounds I weigh 195 pounds and like to take r3 for rip once and awhile also. But bike has just way to much fork dive. Any springs work better than others. Not wanting to spend crazy amount on upgrade. Thanks for any help.
On the top of this page in the center is a "search community" area to do a search function. Type in 'front shock' or any other phrase or word, then select 'entire site'. There are several previous threads and posts already there. Maybe you'll find something helpful. (y)

·
Registered
352 Posts
I installed Traxxion springs, their weight guide is pretty solid for selecting the proper rate. I am 200lbs, and chose the .825kg straight rate for street use, could not be happier - completely changed the bike for the better all around. Lift the bike up, no weight on the forks, remove the caps, remove the old springs and spacers, drop in the new set, screw the caps back on... 20 minute job, good to go.

For reference, Sock '15-'18 rate is .66kg - way too sift for adult riders. They bumped this to .8 progressive rate (.7 to .8kg) to address complaints of the mushy rate of the Gen 1 bike.

I also recommend the '19 and newer rear shock. It has a better rate spring and damper profile. They can be had on ebay from very low mile bikes for less than $50, and swap easily.

New, the shock is only $90: https://www.partzilla.com/product/y...?ref=3698b00706fc81eae7d2ff8710728543b07bd271

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you Kevin exactly information I was looking for. How hard is it to change front springs? Can I leave forks on bike and just take caps off to change them with weight off front of bike? Thanks again. How about seats since you seem up on r3 parts any recommendation my boy ripped his.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thank you Kevin exactly information I was looking for. How hard is it to change front springs? Can I leave forks on bike and just take caps off to change them with weight off front of bike? Thanks again. How about seats since you seem up on r3 parts any recommendation my boy ripped his.
You can swap the springs with the forks on the bike, load off the front wheel. No problem there.

Seats are easy enough. You can either pick up a used low miles OEM part on eBay for cheap, buy a replacement unit from Partzilla for twice cheap, or go for a little style at Luimoto, if you are up for a recovering project (need a good stapler and patience).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts