Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey hey everyone I recently bought my bike on the 17th and when bringing it home my instrument panel completely shuts off but the bike still runs. After getting it home when I try turning the bike on all it does it make a clicking sound like the one in this video 2015 Yamaha R3 - Error 1 - ECU communication failure and does not turn over.

I came back a few hours later and the bike turned on like normal. I tested it out again and rode it for around 15 minutes and it does the same thing with the bike's panel going completely dead and once again not being able to start it.

Is the issue my battery or like in the video added is it my ECU having issues. The pervious owner did install new LED turn signals for both the front and rear and some extra tiny turn signal indicators next to the instrument panel on the top of the fairings so I'm guessing it might be a potential power drain issue. This is my first time dealing with any mechanical issues with a bike as a new owner. Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

·
Super Moderator
1,348 Posts
Welcome. Electrical problems can be difficult to solve. And anything beyond the basics is beyond lots of us. Since you're new to the mechanics of motorcycles...keep it simple. Look for any connection that may be loose, discolored, or obviously over-heated with melted or charred insulation at or near the connections. This will be easier if both seats, and the center panel between them, are removed.
Start at the battery connections, then the connections at the 30-amp 'main' fuse to the starter relay. Both of these locations have been rare problem locations and can cause strange things to happen to the bike.
If you don't have an Owner's Manual, you can download a free PDF version at Yamaha's website. The link is below.
Read through it. There's a lot of good info in there. Directions, photos, and the location of the seats and center panel, battery, fuse panel, starter relay, and main 30-amp fuse are all in there.
Good luck, let us know your progress. You'll be helpful to someone else.
YAMAHA Owner's Manual Library (ymcapps.net)

·
Registered
433 Posts
Hey hey everyone I recently bought my bike on the 17th and when bringing it home my instrument panel completely shuts off but the bike still runs. After getting it home when I try turning the bike on all it does it make a clicking sound like the one in this video 2015 Yamaha R3 - Error 1 - ECU communication failure and does not turn over.

I came back a few hours later and the bike turned on like normal. I tested it out again and rode it for around 15 minutes and it does the same thing with the bike's panel going completely dead and once again not being able to start it.

Is the issue my battery or like in the video added is it my ECU having issues. The pervious owner did install new LED turn signals for both the front and rear and some extra tiny turn signal indicators next to the instrument panel on the top of the fairings so I'm guessing it might be a potential power drain issue. This is my first time dealing with any mechanical issues with a bike as a new owner. Any tips would be greatly appreciated!
How old is the battery? If it is at end of life, it will produce a low voltage condition that will cause the relay clicking/buzzing noise on start up, ECU comm failures and voltage conditions that will that will cause the dash display to go dead. Modern electronically controlled vehicles need good batteries to operate properly.

For more diagnostics, download the service manual at:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts