Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As you can tell by the title, I'm in need of some help with my dead battery for my 2015 yamaha r3. I need want to know if I should get a ytz8v acid battery(oem battery I believe) or a after market shorai lithium battery (not sure which model i need for this bike). Please let me know if you guys recommend any other battery. Would love to learn how to take care of the battery as well.
Sorry for the long post, thanks in advance.
P.s First every motorcycle owner, would love to learn form this community.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Just get another OEM replacement battery, and buy a Battery Tender for it.
Install the Battery Tender plug onto the new battery when you install it in the bike.
Leave the end of it accessible, so you can connect your Battery Tender without removing the seat.

·
Registered
326 Posts
No way. I'd take the opportunity to upgrade. According to shorai website you need LFX14L2-BS12. Quick search and found one for $128. I'd research a bit more. Make sure the dimensions are correct etc.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
please lmk the benefits of picking up a shorai and how should I go about take care of the battery. And if possible confirm that's this battery fits and is the right model. Thanks

·
Registered
326 Posts
Extreme weight savings. Usually higher cranking amps. Less maintenance. If you're riding a few times a month then there is no need for a tender. I just picked up an shorai balancer for my 3 year old battery but haven't used it yet.

·
Registered
14 Posts
YTZ8V is the oem battery. $163.95 online, charger/maintainer $30.00 or so.

Antigravity Lion battery in stock case size $179.99, charger/maintainer $57.99.

I have gone to the Antigravity small case 4cell $119.99 as I needed room in the battery bay for the R6 shock.

All prices are approximate, I'm sure you might find better prices somewhere.

Doug

·
Registered
18 Posts
Yup, the YTZ8V is the exact same size as the OEM lead-acid battery. I would also recommend sticking with lead-acid for now, as they are more versatile, they can go dead and be revived, and in a worst case scenario when you're stranded, you can jump-start them from a car (same voltage as car battery). This last feature you can't really do witht he lithium batteries, like the Shorai mentioned above. There are, of course, other pros and cons.

Cheers,

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I decide to go for the shorai since i wouldn't be traveling far and only for a bit of riding to get around. Knowing i will be having the bike sit in the colder weathers and winter with less maintenance was a big factor for me. So thank you everyone for helping me choose my new battery.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Just an fyi. Depending on how cold your garage gets you may want to disconnected it and bring it inside during the winter months.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No garage sadly, but the bike going to be covered up. Thanks for the heads up, will definitely bring the battery in for the winter.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Anybody familiar with MBTX7U Motobatt 12V Battery Quadflex AGM battery? On their website, it says it replaces YTZ8V. It is about half the price. I dont wanna cheap out, but the savings are lucrative! My R3 died out on me this spring sadly.

·
Super Moderator
1,031 Posts
Anybody familiar with MBTX7U Motobatt 12V Battery Quadflex AGM battery? On their website, it says it replaces YTZ8V. It is about half the price. I dont wanna cheap out, but the savings are lucrative! My R3 died out on me this spring sadly.
The OEM battery is 12V, 7.4ah, 120cca. You should be able to compare the battery case sizes by looking them up on various websites. You're looking at an AGM battery, not a classic lead acid battery, like the OEM, so in some ways your comparing oranges to tangerines. If it fits in the battery case holder, the terminals appear to allow for a fit, and the Amperage is sufficient, why not try it. Look on the website where you're looking at this battery to see if they have product reviews. I would be more concerned with the battery manufacturer's name and reputation than a specific battery size. Even if I had to go to other websites, somebody has an opinion about their products. I know I didn't answer your question, but sometimes you just have to trust your gut, and wallet. Hope this helps, Ride Safe. :chatterbox

·
Registered
3 Posts
The OEM battery is 12V, 7.4ah, 120cca. You should be able to compare the battery case sizes by looking them up on various websites. You're looking at an AGM battery, not a classic lead acid battery, like the OEM, so in some ways your comparing oranges to tangerines. If it fits in the battery case holder, the terminals appear to allow for a fit, and the Amperage is sufficient, why not try it. Look on the website where you're looking at this battery to see if they have product reviews. I would be more concerned with the battery manufacturer's name and reputation than a specific battery size. Even if I had to go to other websites, somebody has an opinion about their products. I know I didn't answer your question, but sometimes you just have to trust your gut, and wallet. Hope this helps, Ride Safe. :chatterbox

Hey! thank you! I decided to pull the trigger. They are reputed aussie company and their website says it fits Yamaha R3. Hopefully all is well. Haha, will try it on the bike and let you guys know!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts