Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Washed my r3 and preparing for storage for the winter. After drying it with a towel I decided to start it up and let it run for a while to dry up. I decide to take it off the bike stand and move it back to the parking spot, but it will not start for some reason.

Bike will turn off after pressing starter button, after a few seconds the bike will turn back on and turn off after pressing starter button.

link to the video: https://www.reddit.com/r/motorcycles/comments/ytllob
No blown fuses. Battery seems ok? I put it on a battery tender and decided to give it a go today, same issues.
I am wondering if I got some water where there isn’t suppose to be and damaged some electrical component.
Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.

· Super Moderator
2016 Yamaha YZF-R3
262 Posts
Washed my r3 and preparing for storage for the winter. After drying it with a towel I decided to start it up and let it run for a while to dry up. I decide to take it off the bike stand and move it back to the parking spot, but it will not start for some reason.

Bike will turn off after pressing starter button, after a few seconds the bike will turn back on and turn off after pressing starter button.

link to the video: https://www.reddit.com/r/motorcycles/comments/ytllob
No blown fuses. Battery seems ok? I put it on a battery tender and decided to give it a go today, same issues.
I am wondering if I got some water where there isn’t suppose to be and damaged some electrical component.
Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.
Wow, that's impressively bad. First time seeing something like that.

Check your starter relay, try jumping the starter relay terminals, if it turns over that way, check the ECU next, look for damage or water and blow out and let any parts that have water in them dry out before attempting anything.

· Registered
5 Posts
It behaves like a bad ground or contact on the battery. A loose connection that can't support the inrush current of starting, but can flow enough to keep accessory power on. First step I'd try would be to make sure both battery contacts are clean and tight.

· Registered
2016 Yamaha R3
169 Posts
As others have stated, check your starter relay (located under the seat). The plastic piece the goes between the pillion and the seat can direct water onto the starter relay, causing a short when attempting to start. I've had those happen MANY times. Either unplug it and blow out both ends to clear the water or let it sit for a day. Once dry, it should turn over no problem.

· Registered
6 Posts
It could be water getting into something (probably is) but something else worth checking is possibly you ”bumped” something while cleaning or drying the bike. Give you connectors a wiggle, make sure they are tight, also your battery terminal connections. If you want to go a little overboard (a proud tradition in my garage) you can take all of your connections apart, apply Stabilant (expensive but awesome), reassemble them and lightly apply some dialectric grease to wherever it looks like water has a means of entering the connector (o-rings, seals, etc). Good luck, electrical can be maddening, it can run but it can’t hide forever.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts