Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Got a stock 2015 Yamaha YZF R3 with about 5k miles. Was running fine yesterday but today it wont start. I had smashed the bottom part of the ignition (the piece that you can remove with the 2 T-20 screws) and wanted to replace it. While I was taking the cables out, the exposed copper connections for the ignition hit a small piece of metal on the bike and there was a very very small spark. Check the main fuse box in the back and everything seemed normal. I continued on my way to replace that bottom piece. Tried to start with the original ignition, didn't start. Then I said maybe that bottom piece wont work with another ignition set so I replace the whole ignition (full piece) and still no start. I can check the battery, but if that's not the problem what can I do? Is there another fuse box under the drivers seat?

So the images show the two connection points needed to start the bike. The white part is what spins when you turn the key making the connection possible allowing the bike to start. Those two copper looking points hit a metal piece (while plugged in) when I was pulling it out. Possible short circuit or did I do more damage then I think I did?

Thanks

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
791 Posts
Do you have an owners manual? If not, search on this forum and find both an owners manual, and if you like, a service manual. Download them. Otherwise what I'm going to say will make no sense. My 2015s owners manual is on page 7-31 and 7-32. It shows where the fuses are in 2 different places. Close by but not the same. The main fuse is located under the passenger seat. The fuse box, which contain fuses for individual circuits, is located behind the center panel. In the area where your main fuses are, there is a "Main" fuse 30.0A. It's a bit hidden.. But there's also a "Spare Main Fuse" also 30.0A. It's more easily visible. So you need to find (2) 30A fuses in this area, before you can say it's not blown. The "Ignition" 15.0A fuse is in the fuse box under the center panel. It's in the top #1 slot. There may be others I've not mentioned that are in-line, but I'm telling you all I'm aware of. Your certainly not the first to do this on this forum. Just the most recent. Good Luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you have an owners manual? If not, search on this forum and find both an owners manual, and if you like, a service manual. Download them. Otherwise what I'm going to say will make no sense. My 2015s owners manual is on page 7-31 and 7-32. It shows where the fuses are in 2 different places. Close by but not the same. The main fuse is located under the passenger seat. The fuse box, which contain fuses for individual circuits, is located behind the center panel. In the area where your main fuses are, there is a "Main" fuse 30.0A. It's a bit hidden.. But there's also a "Spare Main Fuse" also 30.0A. It's more easily visible. So you need to find (2) 30A fuses in this area, before you can say it's not blown. The "Ignition" 15.0A fuse is in the fuse box under the center panel. It's in the top #1 slot. There may be others I've not mentioned that are in-line, but I'm telling you all I'm aware of. Your certainly not the first to do this on this forum. Just the most recent. Good Luck.
Ok thank you very much! I did not see the 30A fuse hopefully that’s the one that’s blown. I look for it all let you know!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I removed the drivers seat and I can’t find that 30.0 A fuse box for the life of me!

·
Super Moderator
791 Posts
I removed the drivers seat and I can’t find that 30.0 A fuse box for the life of me!
Since the drivers seat is already off. FOR SAFETY SAKE disconnect the negative terminal off the battery. You're already there anyway. Unlock and remove the passenger seat. Carefully remove 2 screws and remove the plastic center panel between the rear and front seating area, for more visual room. UNDER THE: Passenger seat (not drivers seat). Remove 2 phillip head screws (push pins) from the small black cover tray. Remove small black tray. LOOK On lower Right side. Pull back the rubber cover off starter relay This is the MOST obvious rubber cover you see, bottom right area of work area.. You'll see a set of + - wires with terminals under this rubber cover. Pull out this (relay) assembly from it's cradle. Look carefully! There are 2 pieces plugged together. Push in thumb piece connectors on the side of these 2 pieces with fingers and pull apart the TOP RED PLUG - IN portion from the bottom black piece. Plugged in here is the Green 30amp fuse you're looking for. Right above the + - wires I mentioned earlier. (You will have already also seen a "SPARE" 30amp fuse plugged into a holding station at the upper right side of area you're working in under the originally removed tray.) Check the 30Amp fuse at these wires, it should be blown (at least you hope so). Replace it. Reattach the battery and see if that fixed your problem. SIGH really big. REPLACE that Spare 30Amp fuse if you used it. You may need it again. Button up in reverse order. :nerd:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Since the drivers seat is already off. FOR SAFETY SAKE disconnect the negative terminal off the battery. You're already there anyway. Unlock and remove the passenger seat. Carefully remove 2 screws and remove the plastic center panel between the rear and front seating area, for more visual room. UNDER THE: Passenger seat (not drivers seat). Remove 2 phillip head screws (push pins) from the small black cover tray. Remove small black tray. LOOK On lower Right side. Pull back the rubber cover off starter relay This is the MOST obvious rubber cover you see, bottom right area of work area.. You'll see a set of + - wires with terminals under this rubber cover. Pull out this (relay) assembly from it's cradle. Look carefully! There are 2 pieces plugged together. Push in thumb piece connectors on the side of these 2 pieces with fingers and pull apart the TOP RED PLUG - IN portion from the bottom black piece. Plugged in here is the Green 30amp fuse you're looking for. Right above the + - wires I mentioned earlier. (You will have already also seen a "SPARE" 30amp fuse plugged into a holding station at the upper right side of area you're working in under the originally removed tray.) Check the 30Amp fuse at these wires, it should be blown (at least you hope so). Replace it. Reattach the battery and see if that fixed your problem. SIGH really big. REPLACE that Spare 30Amp fuse if you used it. You may need it again. Button up in reverse order. /forum/images/smilies/tango_face_glasses.png
WHEWWW!!! Got it! Was the fuse! Thanks

·
Super Moderator
791 Posts
WHEWWW!!! Got it! Was the fuse! Thanks
Glad to hear it. A reminder. If you haven't already, purchase and replace the SPARE 30amp fuse and put it in its carrier where you found it under the passenger seat. And I would encourage you to purchase a 2015 R3 owners manual, or find the one you already have. Nobody wants to mess with those pesky things, but there's really a lot of vital info in them. IF YOU HAD AN OWNERS MANUAL, you could have looked up and seen the location of this fuse right after the fuse blew, and you could have been riding for the last 3 or 4 days. Everything I attempted to describe came directly from my owners manual. Cost is a little over $17 from your friendly Yamaha dealer. Cheap insurance and lots of good info to read on a cold rainy day when you can't ride anyway. ;) Ride Safe.

·
Registered
6 Posts
This is so bizarre that almost this exact same sequence of events happened to me...
I smashed my keyswitch while trying to straighten out my headlight bracket. The bottom end of the keyswitch with copper contacts was then hanging free at the end of the harness. I probably turned the bars and a spark occurred when the copper made contact with the chassis. After that the bike wouldn't start! I spent all night researching the service manual, I bought a multimeter to check the battery, checked the fuses.. couldn't find what was wrong. Thanks to this thread I was able to also find a solution! It turns out I was fooled by the spare 30A fuse. I pulled the spare thinking it was the active main fuse! Of course after reading this thread I located the proper fused and it was indeed toasted. Thank you airhead83 for that detailed breakdown!

·
Super Moderator
791 Posts
This is so bizarre that almost this exact same sequence of events happened to me...
I smashed my keyswitch while trying to straighten out my headlight bracket. The bottom end of the keyswitch with copper contacts was then hanging free at the end of the harness. I probably turned the bars and a spark occurred when the copper made contact with the chassis. After that the bike wouldn't start! I spent all night researching the service manual, I bought a multimeter to check the battery, checked the fuses.. couldn't find what was wrong. Thanks to this thread I was able to also find a solution! It turns out I was fooled by the spare 30A fuse. I pulled the spare thinking it was the active main fuse! Of course after reading this thread I located the proper fused and it was indeed toasted. Thank you airhead83 for that detailed breakdown!
You are welcome, and I'm glad you found the problem. I've said this before.. I can still remember the exact location of the main fuse on at least two of my previous bikes. I'll let you guess why. :laugh:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts