Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

My bike sat for maybe 3-4 weeks before i tried to start it again, now it won't start back up.
It cranks but wont finish starting

2016 Yamaha R3. 6.8k miles
I had a buddy of mine who works on bikes take a look at it but he is out of town
  • Battery Charged on tender for days
  • Spark Plugs swapped out
  • Gas swapped out, it has gas but says it doesn't now after it was replaced
  • He took out the fuel pump and tested if it could shoot gas and it could at that time
  • Fuses & Relay checked and they are ok
Any thoughts? I figured some would say it's the battery but most say it probably isn't since it can crank. Not sure what else i can check or maybe if it's still fuel related. Open to suggestions.

Thanks for your time.

Video:

·
Registered
392 Posts
Need to find out where the fuel went. Can you see it in the tank? When the tank was re-assembled, is it possible the fuel pump wire, or gas line is not properly connected? Can you hear the pump when you turn the key ln? If you see fuel, but the sensor doesn't, it's likely a wiring issue to the pump.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Need to find out where the fuel went. Can you see it in the tank? When the tank was re-assembled, is it possible the fuel pump wire, or gas line is not properly connected? Can you hear the pump when you turn the key ln? If you see fuel, but the sensor doesn't, it's likely a wiring issue to the pump.
Hello, I can still see the fuel in the tank and can hear the pump when i turn the key, I agree that the sensor might not have been reconnected properly.
However, it still had the same issue starting before we took out the fuel pump if that makes a difference.

Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Process of elimination. Does it gave spark? If yes, spray starter fluid into the airbox snorkel under the seat. Does it try to run then stop? No fuel. If not, recheck spark. If the spark us good and fuel is pumping, and it runs but dies, the fuel is bad, fuel lines are plugged, or injectors are not functioning or being triggered. The ECU uses a crank sensor to time fuel injector pulses, so a fuel pump working is only half the process. Fuel pressure plus injector opening at the right time, at the correct pressure is the trio. From just sitting, bad fuel is most likely culprit, which can include injector function failure from corrosion or gluing caused by degrading additives.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts