Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
r3-forums.com Vendor
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
New Youtube video up on our channel with info about the 2017 to 2019 conversion parts as well as suspension info and some weights. Enjoy and subscribe, more coming soon!

·
Super Moderator
986 Posts
Thanks for the video. An earlier discussion concerning the size of the front end forks. Yamaha lists, in their Spec Sheet for the 2019 R3, the size as 41mm. If I heard correctly, you measured them at 37mm. That'll make Jim happy to learn for certain. He originally questioned Yamaha's specs in an earlier post, based on a moto magazine early ride review. ;)

·
Registered
123 Posts
Makes me glad I have 1st gen forks for the track, looks like putting carts in the '19 forks will be a biatch for us DIY'ers.

Good news everything swaps over, I haven't gotten race bodywork for my bike yet and I'm now considering getting the new style. Do you have to put a 2nd gen fairing stay on to mount the nose fairing?

·
r3-forums.com Vendor
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, the fairing stay is different, so you'll need a 2019 fairing stay and 2019 gas tank to use 2019 bodywork. And the fender is different, so if you keep 2017 forks, you'll need a 2017 fender.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Yeah, the fairing stay is different, so you'll need a 2019 fairing stay and 2019 gas tank to use 2019 bodywork. And the fender is different, so if you keep 2017 forks, you'll need a 2017 fender.
Hmm sounds like a lot of work for cosmetics. Think I'll just stick with 1st gen stuff. Thanks!

·
r3-forums.com Vendor
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How is the 2nd gen tank ergonomics and comfort feels like compared to 1st gen?
It's awesome, way better, way easier to grip the bike while cornering/braking. I'm almost more excited about the new gas tank than the forks lol

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hey Jesse, is it a new tank cover or a new gas tank (underneath?)

·
r3-forums.com Vendor
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That sounds great. Do you recon I can swap 1st gen tank with 2nd gen tank on 1st gen R3?
You obviously didn't click on the youtube video lol

·
r3-forums.com Vendor
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I did. Sorry, I did not articulate the question correctly. I understand one can swap the tank, it's clear from the video but the 2nd gen tank cover is different and may not fit/align with 1st gen stock plastistcs. Is that so?
You are correct, the black side panels, and side fairings are different, so if you want to put the new tank on an old bike, you have to change the tank, tank cover, black side panels, main side panels, lower, and upper fairing. It also has to go together. You could try using just the tank and tank cover but you'd have to cut the tank cover to maybe fit up with the older style black plastic side panels. This may work just fine, but I haven't looked that close and the bike is over at Hotbodies now.

·
r3-forums.com Vendor
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Forgive the lack of info. Almost over the hump. I've ridden the 2019 forks on my 2017 a few times, and last weekend we put our MotoAmerica rider, Rocco Landers, on my bike to really push them and he liked the front end a lot once we got it working for his pace (he's 5-7 seconds a lap faster than me lol). The parts needed to convert the old generation are the forks, triples, front fender, fairing stay, and fuel tank. The old fuel pump works in the new tank but it's rotated differently, and if you fill the tank with 4 bars of fuel or more, you can here the float inside clank against the vent tubes. You could probably do some grinding on the clamp that mounts the fuel tank so you could rotate it 60 degrees and fix this, I just haven't had time to do that yet since I just noticed last weekend when I had the tank full.

I never tried the old bodywork with the new tank cover, the new bodywork is really nice. The upper fairing has way more clearance for clipons to be lower which I really like. We (Hotbodies) remade the tail section so there's more room to slide back, and the tank cover/seat is awesome on the new generation. So I'm running the new bodywork complete.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts