Yamaha R3 Forums banner

2017 WSBK/WSS300 season! SPOILERS inside!

4K views 20 replies 7 participants last post by  sbk1198 
#1 ·
Not sure how many of you guys follow racing, but I figured I'd start a thread about this series since I've seen them on other bike forums I'm on. WSBK started several weeks ago, but the new-for-this-year WSS300 class is only starting this weekend since they only do the European rounds. I'm excited to see how this new class goes. Practice 1 results:

http://resources.worldsbk.com/files....pdf?version=3f254ea62985e67d70d5751fd79112ed

Looks like like a ninja on top followed by a bunch of R3s! Granted the R3 dominates in number with 17 entries at the start of the season. There were 10 ninjas, 2 cbr500s and no RC390s at all signed up initially. Biggest surprise to me is seeing so many hitting almost 120 mph on the straight! :eek:...I wanna know what they're doing to get to that cuz these bikes top out at less than 110 stock. Not entirely sure on the technical rules/restrictions for the bikes, but I thought they were pretty strict in that they can't do many mods to the engines.

#5 ·
If the videos you saw just show the speedo and it gets up to 115 or so, then that's about right, and in reality that translates to somewhere between 105 and 110 ACTUAL speed. They all have errors in the reading of the speed.

Reactions: Kojiiro
#3 ·
I was hitting over 118mph on the speed trap at one of the tracks I raced at last year, only mods where block off plate and full exhaust and sprockets(steel, not aluminum), oem chain, no fuel controller and I weigh significantly more than most 300 riders. There's definitely room for >120mph

#4 ·
Is that actual speed measured with a GPS, or are you talking about what the speedo was showing? I haven't heard specifically from anyone with an R3, but I've raced with many 300s while I was on a cbr500 and none of us were anywhere near those speeds. My 500 topped out at less than 110 with stock gearing and chain, full exhaust, PCV. The guys with 300s were at about 105 stock and had to change their gearing for the tracks with longer straights to be able to gain a few more mph.

#6 ·
Well that's a good start so far. Got a kawasaki, yamaha, and a honda in the top 3 for qualifying. The race should be interesting! :)

Reactions: Kojiiro
#9 ·
Unfortunately circumstances and finances aren't allowing me to compete nationally this year [emoji17]
There's definitely a lot more available for the R3's than a couple of years ago and I can only see more products becoming available with the commencement of the supersport 300 class around the world (and WSBK)

#10 ·
Well that was a fun a race! Couple of Yamahas crashing out at the front unfortunately. Close finish though and pretty surprised to see all 3 manufacturers in the top 3 so close together. Didn't look like really any of them had an advantage over the rest.

#12 ·
The last race at Assen was pretty crazy! I lost track of how many times guys went off track by just a few feet from pushing each other in the corners lol

Scott Redding was in the commentators booth and even he said that those guys are nuts! lol

#15 ·
R3 domination at Imola this time! This one wasn't quite as crazy as the last 2 but still pretty intense.

#16 ·
The R3 takes first and second in the first WSS300 championship with the final round at Jerez! Separated by 1 point only! Ninja 300 in 3rd, followed by the CBR500 and a bunch more R3s. Gotta feel bad for Coppola though.

#18 ·
Should be fun to watch. I'll be interested to see how much the grid shakes up in 2018 though. There's a lot of riders already invested in the RC390, so I wonder if they'll stick with what they have for a bit (whether for finances or preference) or if they'll unload them to club racers to try something else they might like. Obviously, anyone just entering will be starting from scratch either way.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.