Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been on here for sometime, mostly lurking. I wanted the r3, but only wanted it in ABS and now that they have finally come to their senses and 2017 offers abs, they end up not offering abs on their new design yamaha blue? I really don't understand, now theres a black/red and a white/yellow that has abs.

Yamaha also released a 2017 yamaha r15 v3, it won't come to the states but look at the design..it looks like an amazing sport bike with the same styling as the new r6 and r1. With the tank, seat and cowl.

·
Registered
732 Posts
That's just how Yamaha configured the models. I'm an old school GenX rider, so have not had ABS yet. One day, but I'm more interested in traction control. I understand the desire for it though. Anyway, maybe you could special order? I don't know how hard it would be to get a blue Non-ABS R3, and get the ABS parts to put on it. I don't know if there are any electronics and ECU ramifications dealing with ABS on the bike. It is probably possible though.

Are you dead set on the blue? I have a 2015 Raven R3, and love the glossy black, but am also a fan of all the R3 colors especially the 2016 matte grey, and the new 2017 matte black and gray/white/yellow. The color shouldn't be the only issue preventing you from buying. If that is a 150cc bike, it'll be a huge difference between it and the R3. I do highway riding, and 300 is about the smallest displacement I would recommend for any riding of that type. You could always buy the white R3, and get a custom paint job, but that would be additional money. Just spitballing here. Good luck with your decision.

Oh, and that R15 is slick looking. I think due to the smaller engine and bike, and associated costs, they were able to spruce up some of the aesthetics to make it a bit "racier." The new Honda 250 is analogous to it in that way-it looks like a professional MotoGP race bike.

·
Registered
89 Posts
It would be cheaper and easier to swap the fairings to the color you want or have it painted or wrapped than add ABS. Just buy one with ABS and keep an eye out for someone selling their fairings that is building a track bike and ditching the stock body work. I have a matte gray '16 and have never locked the brakes up even under serious braking. What I have done is barked the rear tire on some pretty aggressive downshifts when I didn't perfectly rev match due to the long throw throttle and lack of slipper clutch. R6 throttle tube helped a lot with that.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Can someone list out difference between 2017 Yamaha R3 and 2016/2015 R3. I m living in India, 2017 model will be released in 2018 here. So are ABS and little graphics are the only difference or are there any other changes? I am planning to buy 2016/2015 R3 next MONTH. So any responds will be helpful. Thank You:)

·
Registered
89 Posts
Colors are the only difference between 15 and 16. ABS being offered on certain colors and of course new colors/graphics are the only changes for '17.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi Gents.

Would love to know why they didn't offer the 2016 model with ABS in the states, I'm a Londoner living in Melbourne and got the 2016 with ABS 6 weeks ago, Also in Blue.
Love it to bits.
Happy days!!!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Some countries require ABS on all new models so they had to have it there to be able to sell it. My guess is cost is why they didn't offer it in the US because they wanted to be under the Ninja price point but it still makes no sense as to why they didn't offer it as an option. Even our regional Yamaha rep and a couple of corporate people I met were baffled as to why they didn't at least have it as an option. Honestly I haven't found a situation that I needed it but it would be a nice safety net for wet roads.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I think it maybe super safe bubble wrapped Britain, got ABS, on the R3, not sure if it is anygood as I have not ridden a bike with it on!

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
You don't need ABS. Get a leftover 2016 model, save yourself some money.

·
Registered
28 Posts
ABS saves lives - The results from many studies are conclusive and undeniable.

However, leaving a safe gap between the car in front and riding responsibly with respect to speed and conditions is just as important, if not more so - and completely free.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24884403

https://www.monash.edu/__data/assets/pdf_file/0011/376742/muarc327.pdf

Note there is also evidence suggesting that ABS can lead to the lower extremities being more exposed - which needs further investigation. Although, it's a similar argument to the few cases whereby seat belts cause damage / injury.

https://www.researchgate.net/public...crashes_involving_motorcycles_fitted_with_ABS

·
Registered
329 Posts
Not sure why everyone is saying "save your money" and get the non-ABS model. Last I checked the non-ABS is about $4900 and with ABS is like $5300. It's only savings of around $400. Does suck that the color options are limited with the ABS models though.

·
Registered
346 Posts
It could be a clearance change on fairings that while might not be noticeable from the outside can be slightly different (not sure if it's the case but a thought, would have to check part #'s). That would make plenty of sense, not to mention when they fit the systems in the factories on factory lines they're going to all be done in one continuous run each time they do them.

It just simplifies the manufacturing process for them, it's easier to do the same task 1000x in a row more efficiently than 4x 250 - you get used to the differences and adapt once, versus several different times.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I don't get the video though, it's not a new model of the 321cc R3, but it's a 149cc bike.

Visually the 2017 R3 hasn't changed a lot:

EU: yamaha-motor.eu/de/products/motorcycles/supersport/yzf-r3.aspx
US: yamahamotorsports.com/supersport/models/yzf-r3

And it was available with ABS from the beginning, at least in Europe.

Or did i miss something?

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'm guessing here but would the 2017 model have revised designs with respect to the areas where the earlier models had recalls ? Or did they just replace the parts as per the recall procedures ?

·
Registered
228 Posts
I'm guessing here but would the 2017 model have revised designs with respect to the areas where the earlier models had recalls ? Or did they just replace the parts as per the recall procedures ?
I'm assuming this is the case, as I was at the dealer they had a 2017/18 with ABS in blue but I opted for their last stock 2016/17 model which I checked had the recalls fixed prior to delivery.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts