Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm looking at buying another R3 and I've found a mint 2018 R3 with only 110kms (not even broken in yet). The reason for the low k's is that the owner has been overseas and it's been sitting in storage.

I understand it's not good to leave an engine for that period of time unused. He's since done an oil and oil filter replacement. What should I be concerned about or looking out for with this bike? (if anything)

·
Super Moderator
1,360 Posts
2018 isn't that old, I'd probably change the oil myself again and a fresh battery, and call it a day. I assume you've seen the bike in person, and it's not the ol' online scam of "owner is in the military overseas just wire the money and we'll send the bike" or "$500 upfront to get the bike out of storage if you want to see it".

·
Super Moderator
1,250 Posts
That sounds like a nice find. I'd probably change the brake fluid and coolant... only because it's about time to replace them anyway by Yamaha's recommended schedule. Tires may or not be a concern, but you can check for the manufactured date easily enough and decide. It may also be a good idea to take a looky-loo under the seat at the air filter housing to be sure no animals have nested under there.
The battery will either take and hold a charge, or not. But at 4 years I'd look for bargains and sales on a replacement.
Some of your concerns will depend on how and where the bike was stored.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
2018 isn't that old, I'd probably change the oil myself again and a fresh battery, and call it a day. I assume you've seen the bike in person, and it's not the ol' online scam of "owner is in the military overseas just wire the money and we'll send the bike" or "$500 upfront to get the bike out of storage if you want to see it".
It's pretty secure doing it through TradeMe so not too much riskt in terms of being scammed. Thank for the tips!

That sounds like a nice find. I'd probably change the brake fluid and coolant... only because it's about time to replace them anyway by Yamaha's recommended schedule. Tires may or not be a concern, but you can check for the manufactured date easily enough and decide. It may also be a good idea to take a looky-loo under the seat at the air filter housing to be sure no animals have nested under there.
The battery will either take and hold a charge, or not. But at 4 years I'd look for bargains and sales on a replacement.
Some of your concerns will depend on how and where the bike was stored.
It looks like it's been in secure storage so no risk of animals but work a check I guess. You're right, I would expect the battery to probably need replacing which is easy and cheap enough.

Drain the fuel, clean out the fuel lines and fuel filter and refill. Coolant should be perfectly new. Brake fluid should be fine. Oil and filter should be fine, they won't degrade sitting with time, but most fuels will.
Thanks for the fuel info. I'd need to do a bit of research on how to do that but I imagine it would be relatively easy to do.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts