Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 121 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,245 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
OOOHHH this is good news! Yamaha has got to keep up with the competition! At least crossing my fingers they will, an R4 maybe, 400cc R Bike? 450cc Maybe!? Triple?!

·
Registered
290 Posts
Normally I would feel excited (for my wife I guess?) but I don't think I'll buy another Kawasaki.

I own their most expensive naked bike, and don't get me wrong, I love it. Its my favorite bike of the 3 I own, but I hate, hate the transmission. Its really crappy. It has 3 modes. One is normal transmission. One is super hard, clunky transmission, and finally there is super squishy that falls into place with barely a touch. I've occasionally downshifted accidentally just by resting my foot on the shifter. Its the most inconsistent shifter I've ever felt. I own two Yamahas that are super consistent, and I've ridden a Honda. I haven't rode a Suzuki so I can't rank them but I would have to say the Kawasaki has the worst transmission of all the Japanese bikes I own or have ridden.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Agreed, looks like a wannabe R3.

From a looks perspective not really feeling it, feels a little too "busy" with all the different front fairing panels/cutouts. Looks like a transformer that got stuck halfway and didn't completely transform, lol.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Do You Have the Z1000 LOLLINGTHUNDER?
The local dealership has one of these that I plan on test riding
Yeah, I have a '15. I think if its low mileage, you shouldn't have a problem with the shifter, mine started to act up after about 500-1000 miles. I asked on z1000 forums if they have similar issues and half of them do, the other half had low mileage, at least when I asked about it.

So if you do a test ride, chances are the transmission will feel good since demo models usually don't get past 300 miles.

Not sure what your motorcycle history is, but just be very careful, the Zs have an absurd snatchy throttle. So going from an r3 straight to test riding a z1000 might be jarring. But if your right hand is smooth, you'll be fine.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Only details on pricing I can find right now are in Indian Rupee (₹ 4,25,000)
If it converts over to about the same in US, it's a $6600 bike.

Curious to see how many will see the value at that price
No idea, but I'm just going to throw in my guess now and say $5,500 msrp here in the US, and that's assuming a base model, not ones with fancy graphics like Kawasaki tends to do and call it a "special edition".

·
Registered
501 Posts
LOLLINGTHUNDER I've rode many different bikes, the highest torque one was a old yamaha 500 dirt bike which was really really easy to wheelie so I definitely will take it easy.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Looks like Kawi played the if you can't beat em join em game because it looks just like an R3.
How does it look just like an R3? It’s got the same flush signals that have been on the N300/650/old 400 for a while. The upper portion of the side fairings look nothing like an R3, exhaust is huge compared to an R3. Wish they would have used a low profile exhaust like on the old N650.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
How does it look just like an R3? It’s got the same flush signals that have been on the N300/650/old 400 for a while. The upper portion of the side fairings look nothing like an R3, exhaust is huge compared to an R3. Wish they would have used a low profile exhaust like on the old N650.
I was thinking about the same. Not sure why all these people keep saying it looks like an R3....no, it looks like a ninja 300 with modified headlights. That's about the only really noticeable difference in looks. Sure the headlights do look similar to the R3, but everything else is like the ninja 300.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Nice job Kawasaki, however, typical of most Japanese bikes you might as well add about $800 or more to the base price once you fix the suspension. Looks like a basic shock without rebound and the forks probably will not have rebound or compression either like the R3. Over the years I have owned both brands and I tend to give Yamaha the edge in quality, but it is very close.

1 - 20 of 121 Posts