Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I'd start this thread as a place for people to post info on next years model as it comes to hand.

I'm looking to buy a new 300cc class bike and are tossing up between the new model CBR, Ninja and R3.
Will be interesting to see which manufacturer comes out with a new model first and what the specs are.

I'm thinking Yamaha will most likely just go with a face lift model next year and some small revisions as it's the youngest model of the three. Could be wrong tho.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Currently R3 is taken off from website in India and stopped selling because of BS4 norms and the selling one was only BS3.
Is the R3 sold in other countries BS3 or BS4?

Sent from my ASUS_Z017DB using Tapatalk

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I heard
2018 possibly gets a slipper clutch
and Upside down forks.

If thats the case. R3 is again a clear winner.
Depends if Honda bases it's new model on the (Asian market only) CBR250RR or not as it has all of what you mention plus aluminium swing arm, throttle by wire and riding modes etc. Not that I'm into all of that stuff but a lot of young riders/buyers are and it may come down to a spec war.

If so... expect the price to increase a bit. $5999 is my guess.
I'm down with that, good things are worth paying for. :D

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
I'm down with that, good things are worth paying for.
Oh, I completely agree.
Which is why I bought a brand new CBR1000RR for $11,000. It has a slipper clutch and upside-down forks.
Oh, it also has 160 horsepower. So..... yeah.
:laugh:

·
Registered
18 Posts
If so... expect the price to increase a bit. $5999 is my guess.
Hmm, I think the base price will stay the same. When Yamaha entered the 300cc game, they were competing with Kwasaki, who's had almost a decade of eperience in this category, so Yamaha needs to remain competitive. Especially watching out for Honda, KTM, and now Suziki who are releasing their GSX 250R!
I agree that a slipper clutch and inverted forks mean a price increase, but maybe that'll be an upgrade option, much like how ABS is?

Excited to find out!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hmm, I think the base price will stay the same. When Yamaha entered the 300cc game, they were competing with Kwasaki, who's had almost a decade of eperience in this category, so Yamaha needs to remain competitive. Especially watching out for Honda, KTM, and now Suziki who are releasing their GSX 250R!
I agree that a slipper clutch and inverted forks mean a price increase, but maybe that'll be an upgrade option, much like how ABS is?

Excited to find out!
Generally those two items aren't offered as an option as they are not easily retro fitted, but yes it's good to hear of potential spec increases. Competition is a good thing!

Not so sure about the Suzuki though. It looks fast with the GSXR paint job but it's spec sheet doesn't match the look. The motor is out of the old GW250 and only puts out 24.7HP (less than the old CBR250 single released 6 years ago) and it's also beefy at 392 lbs, so PTW ratio is pretty bad.

·
Registered
139 Posts
In a spec war we as the consumer both win and lose.
Look what happened to the 600's - they were improved year over year, competing with each other. That was good for us, until the point where the manufacturers threw up their hands in defeat; why sell a 600 for less than a litre bike when they're almost identical except for CC's?
I miss the 600 class, but the current remnants of it are such hyper-focused pieces of tackle as to be uncomfortable and unrealistic to ride on a daily basis.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Not sure about you guys, but cosmetically the R15 is MUCH nicer than the R3. It just looks way more sporty. Higher seat, lower clip ons... I dunno, it's a nicer looking bike for sure, just slow as ****
THe YZF-R125 is even more of a high-spec looker. It's not a model we have down here in nZ but I spotted one in a dealer ship in the UK last year when I was on holiday. Initially I was like 'what is that??'. Then I spotted the narrow rubber and went in for a closer look. Couldn't believe it was only 125cc! USDS forks, aluminium swing arm and generally just looks more trick than the R3 but costs almost as much!

Check it out:
https://www.yamaha-motor.eu/uk/products/motorcycles/supersport/yzf-r125.aspx?view=featurestechspecs

·
Registered
235 Posts
THe YZF-R125 is even more of a high-spec looker. It's not a model we have down here in nZ but I spotted one in a dealer ship in the UK last year when I was on holiday. Initially I was like 'what is that??'. Then I spotted the narrow rubber and went in for a closer look. Couldn't believe it was only 125cc! USDS forks, aluminium swing arm and generally just looks more trick than the R3 but costs almost as much!

Check it out:
https://www.yamaha-motor.eu/uk/products/motorcycles/supersport/yzf-r125.aspx?view=featurestechspecs
wow r125 does look great, why did we get jipped on our R3?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
wow r125 does look great, why did we get jipped on our R3?
Yeah it's hard to fathom how they decide which models to pour the development into or up-spec to meet market requirements. If they make an R3 like that I would buy one.
Personally I'm prepared to pay extra for a higher spec machine with adjustable suspension etc but perhaps Yamaha feels the majority of the potential buyers aren't?

·
Registered
538 Posts
Yeah it's hard to fathom how they decide which models to pour the development into or up-spec to meet market requirements. If they make an R3 like that I would buy one.
Personally I'm prepared to pay extra for a higher spec machine with adjustable suspension etc but perhaps Yamaha feels the majority of the potential buyers aren't?
I think your are right. The cheaper the entry level bike the better. Just look at the suspension on t he fz07 and fz09 both need major upgrades. I guess id rather pay less for the bike knowing I am just going to upgrade to a top spec like Ohlins anyway and then throw the stock stuff in the trash.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
100 Posts
That video is what originally sold me on the RC-390. The reliability of the KTM is what eventually sold me on the R-3.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Oh, I completely agree.
Which is why I bought a brand new CBR1000RR for $11,000. It has a slipper clutch and upside-down forks.
Oh, it also has 160 horsepower. So..... yeah.
:laugh:
My bikes a lot older than yours and is putting out that many ponies. ?

1 - 20 of 92 Posts