Yamaha R3 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So Im looking to get my first bike and struck between two. The first is a 2018 R3 in white with 1000mi and only mod done is frame sliders. Second is a 2020 R3 with 2000mi with tst light kit. Both for 4k both ABS. I know the ultimite desiition is up to me, but anyone with either model is encoured to push me in a certain direction. Thanks

·
Registered
395 Posts
I think that 2018 looks better but that's personal preference.

There are a few improvements with models above 2018 such as USD forks, better aerodynamics, TFT dash (although I prefer I the old dash).

Pre 2019 models have the benefit of better availability of aftermarket parts but that will probably change.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Have you sat on both of them? I really wanted the yellow wheeled combination like you have shown here when I was shopping; but I had a chance to do an immediate side by side comparison at the dealership. The (small) but significant difference in ergonomics made up my mind instantly to go for the ‘19 up. Aesthetically i like the newer version better as well but that’s kinda subjective of course. The white/yellow wheels does have a bit of uniqueness going for it though...I’m pretty much always going to go with the least frequently seen color. ‘19 up did get the USD forks and a slight increase in spring rate so that’s also something to consider.
wedgie

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Have you sat on both of them? I really wanted the yellow wheeled combination like you have shown here when I was shopping; but I had a chance to do an immediate side by side comparison at the dealership. The (small) but significant difference in ergonomics made up my mind instantly to go for the ‘19 up. Aesthetically i like the newer version better as well but that’s kinda subjective of course. The white/yellow wheels does have a bit of uniqueness going for it though...I’m pretty much always going to go with the least frequently seen color. ‘19 up did get the USD forks and a slight increase in spring rate so that’s also something to consider.
wedgie
Have yet to sit on one. Closest Yamaha dealer near me is an hour away. Im in the same boat as far as color dont really see the white too often. As far as seating positon goes im around 5'6 and by looking at the picture the 2018 looks a bit lower. Any experience with this? Thanks for the picture really gives more perspective side by side. Ill try to go sit on one this week!

·
Registered
230 Posts
I've owned both versions. I'd definitely pick the latest generation. Although I possibly prefer the front-on aesthetics of the older bike, when sitting on the newer model, it feels like a much more substantial bike. The ergonomics also fit me much better, and the new tank design is much easier to anchor my knee against when leaning over. Finally, the upgraded, firmer suspension is a noticeable improvement over the old version.

That said, whichever one you go with, you'll have a fun bike.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've owned both versions. I'd definitely pick the latest generation. Although I possibly prefer the front-on aesthetics of the older bike, when sitting on the newer model, it feels like a much more substantial bike. The ergonomics also fit me much better, and the new tank design is much easier to anchor my knee against when leaning over. Finally, the upgraded, firmer suspension is a noticeable improvement over the old version.

That said, whichever one you go with, you'll have a fun bike.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
Thanks! Ive started leaning towards the 2020 model, seeing as the only thing I really liked more on the 2018 was the color, but the 2020 has really grown on me in terms of looks!

·
Registered
305 Posts
Objectively, I find the 2020 has sportier ergonomics and suspension and it has hazard lights but the 2018 has cheaper front suspension upgrades if you want to go down the trackbike route. Other than that they are pretty much the same and a matter of preference. Anything older than 2018 has the older cam profile and does not have the same power profile, though the change is pretty minor.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts