Yamaha R3 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Vendor
2016 Yamaha YZF-R3
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone!

I was under the impression the 2nd gen R3 and 1st gen US model MT-03 were the same fork diameter (at the top triple clamp), which would mean swapping to clip-ons the same 47mm right? However, I can't find exact data on this. The Part Numbers and Diagrams look very similar, can anyone confirm that clip-on diameter would be the same for both?

Yes, I'm well aware that going to different bars such as Renthal or Pro-taper is the preferred method of changing the handlebar ergo on the MT-03, but the questions has been put forth.

2020+ MT-03

Slope Font Rectangle Parallel Terrestrial plant

2019+ R3

Slope Font Parallel Rectangle Screenshot

·
Registered
293 Posts
The 2019 R3 is also a second gen R3. That's probably why they look so similar.

Edit:

Please disregard my post. I thought you were asking about 2019 R3 vs a 2020 R3.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

·
Vendor
2016 Yamaha YZF-R3
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh good point, I didn't even consider that. I should check the rake and trail numbers. However, what matter in this instance is the diameter for the purpose of going to clip-ons on the MT-03.

·
Vendor
2016 Yamaha YZF-R3
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So just looked up Rake and Trail, I think the Forks must be identical, because I'm seeing identical Rake (listed as Caster where I was looking) is identical. Event the wheelbase is identical. Only change is height, and that I believe is based on the highest point, which I believe for the MT-03 is the handlebars.

Sources:

2020 MT-03

Font Rectangle Technology Parallel Screenshot

2020 YZF-R3

Font Gas Rectangle Screenshot Darkness

·
Registered
366 Posts
2nd Gen R3 and US MT03 share frame, forks, engine, swingarm, shock, wheels, fuel tank cover, dash, seat. Top triple clamp, bars, bodywork and mounts,, rear tail plastic with grab handles, a few loose ends like clutch and throttle cables, and front brake line are different.

·
Vendor
2016 Yamaha YZF-R3
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
2nd Gen R3 and US MT03 share frame, forks, engine, swingarm, shock, wheels, fuel tank cover, dash, seat. Top triple clamp, bars, bodywork and mounts,, rear tail plastic with grab handles, a few loose ends like clutch and throttle cables, and front brake line are different.
That's what I thought, but the part numbers for the forks are slightly different. Based on specs alone though, I think they're the same.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts